What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Office App?

mrtim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem I've run into with Office 2 (on my iPhone), is that it cannot open .xlsx files. At least not yet. This is an increasing problem for me as time goes on.

Other than that it worked pretty well once you figure out the UI. Dropbox integration was very nice.

Except for the issue I mentioned above about QuickOffice, where it can't stay in text entry mode even within the same cell, I like the QuickOffice UI better than Office 2. But either gets the job done.

Either of these packages, BTW, has somewhat limited support in the Word tool for formatting changes. You can change fonts, sizes, bold, italics, and so on, but don't expect to be able to change a paragraph style or anything like that. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish that may or may not be a problem. All I typically do with word documents in this environment is review and spot edit, for that they work fine.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Office 2 HD as it was the cheapest. Cloud integration is good and it works ok till now for moderately complex documents.

Formatting in some complex documents are screwed up. But I guess you don't need to create seriously complex documents in iPad. Use computer for that.

Svenster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do most of these office apps have spell checking? In reviewing Docs To Go website I am not seeing that spell check is a function .I gotta have spell check, so which office apps should I avoid? My primary use would be drafting word documents. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

mrtim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Svenster said:
Do most of these office apps have spell checking? In reviewing Docs To Go website I am not seeing that spell check is a function .I gotta have spell check, so which office apps should I avoid? My primary use would be drafting word documents. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

I hear you brother! I can tell you that QuickOffice has autocorrect while you type, but no spell check function. I'm surprised it doesn't at least provide the standard spell check that most text areas support in iOS . . . Maybe it gets confused by the rich text editor.

jweakley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of these comments are terrific, but I still can't decide among office 2, Quickoffice, and docs to go. Someone posted the he or she has both Office2 and Quickoffice, and there isn't much difference—except the price. Please keep posting your thoughts on them....

nickbevan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded office2hd but was disappointed with the excel part. Numbers seems much better but now think I need a btooth keyboard

jweakley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the Apple Bluetooth keyboard, and it works well. You might want to check out the thread about a (I think it was called a Zagg) new keyboard/cover combination.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
As flttrainer mentioned, converting to PDF and then signing that is a good option. I am also not too sure, whether a signed word document would count as a legal contract. For signing and writing on PDF's, iAnnotate is a very good app.

+1 for iAnnotate. You can then email your document from the app. I use Save2PDF to convert the files to a PDF.

Have a look at SignMyPad. It allows you to sign PDF documents and to integrate text boxes and radio buttons. It's been receiving great reviews from Forum members. You can 'flatten' the resulting PDF and email off the resulting document - say sending a copy of a signed invoice to a customer, on the spot.

Tim
Scotland

be careful about apps that you put your signature in to that COULD allow people to CAPTURE your signature and do with it what they want.

J.O.D.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Documents To Go

I have tried (and bought) both Documents To Go Premium and QuickOffice HD - I like the latter's UI more than Docs', but I have reverted back to Docs as their way of handling Dropbox cloud won my heart - just tap on the file to download, it's icon changes, you can now turn off the internet connection. Then tap again to open/edit without problem, and when you are back online, the file will sync back to Dropbox. However, as long as you are editting localy, the file stil resides in the cloud tab, and not in the local tab, which I have found really frustrating in QuickOffice (I had to download from Dropbox, and when syncing back to the cloud, it has been done from local files and by uploading on demand).

bpmapes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad1992,

Thanks for the lead on QuickOffice. I too used DocsToGo and was very disappointed, especially with the lack of editing capability in PowerPoint. From what I have seen of QuickOffice so far (bought it today), it looks heads and shoulders above DocsToGo. I also joined this forum because it seems to be the best place I have found so far for iPad info

jweakley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, after reading all the posts on various forums and discussions I purchased Quickoffice, and my present conclusion is that the purchase was a mistake. I already had the iWorks Pages and Numbers, and I think both of those apps are superior to what Quickoffice offers. Oh, well, live and learn.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, after reading all the posts on various forums and discussions I purchased Quickoffice, and my present conclusion is that the purchase was a mistake. I already had the iWorks Pages and Numbers, and I think both of those apps are superior to what Quickoffice offers. Oh, well, live and learn.

Apple have a fairly generous policy on refunds for apps. Wait until you receive your receipt and then contact the Apple help desk and let them know why this app is unsuitable. Other members have reported that Apple will refund your purchase with a credit to your iTunes account.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts