What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Office App?

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
demandarin said:
yeah! This is a great forum. Taught myself everything i know about apple/ios/ipad from here and hands on. A great place to learn about your device and learn new tricks and features that you might have overlooked.

Sent from my jailbroken ipad on 4.2.1 ;-)

i absolutely concur.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
As flttrainer mentioned, converting to PDF and then signing that is a good option. I am also not too sure, whether a signed word document would count as a legal contract. For signing and writing on PDF's, iAnnotate is a very good app.

+1 for iAnnotate. You can then email your document from the app. I use Save2PDF to convert the files to a PDF.

Have a look at SignMyPad. It allows you to sign PDF documents and to integrate text boxes and radio buttons. It's been receiving great reviews from Forum members. You can 'flatten' the resulting PDF and email off the resulting document - say sending a copy of a signed invoice to a customer, on the spot.

Tim
Scotland

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of our members did a comprehensive review of Office apps for his company in this thread....

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Tim
Scotland

It's extensive as a summary but not as in what syncs best. What offers google docs and drop box. These are the intregal questions. I see on DTG, it says specifically sync, but QuickO does not. Hypothetically, quick seems to have the better specs, but i need to be able to sync and overwrite files.

Another question: which of these recognizes writepad files, not as pdf's but text files??

flttrainer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tjb201 said:
Just to confirm, you can not only download files from dropbox and google docs, but you can sync back up to them as well? In reading the documentation it says you can pick them up from said services but there is no mention of syncing with them.

Thanks,

Tim

Don't know about google docs, but I do with dropbox all the time. I keep all my school stuff on it. I use it to access student grades, lectures, etc and then upload any changes. I can access all my docs from my iPad, iPhone, or home/work pc.

flttrainer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Have a look at SignMyPad. It allows you to sign PDF documents and to integrate text boxes and radio buttons. It's been receiving great reviews from Forum members. You can 'flatten' the resulting PDF and email off the resulting document - say sending a copy of a signed invoice to a customer, on the spot.

Tim
Scotland

Thanks. I will.

Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim
Scotland

iAnnotate will also flatten, I.e. reducing the PDF to one layer, so will PDF expert.

mrtim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's extensive as a summary but not as in what syncs best. What offers google docs and drop box. These are the intregal questions. I see on DTG, it says specifically sync, but QuickO does not. Hypothetically, quick seems to have the better specs, but i need to be able to sync and overwrite files.

Another question: which of these recognizes writepad files, not as pdf's but text files??

Just for another data point: I have been using Office2 on my iPhone for quite a while now. One of the things I like about it is how well it syncs with both google and dropbox. I haven't decided which app to get for my iPad yet, but I'm leaning to Office2 HD - at least then I wouldn't need to learn a new interface.

- Tim

clemsondave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded upad. I still have to convert the .doc to .pdf, but I can then use upad to handwrite notes, type in model/serial numbers and have the customer 'sign' the document. Then I can email it to them on the spot. Very cool!

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mrtim said:
Just for another data point: I have been using Office2 on my iPhone for quite a while now. One of the things I like about it is how well it syncs with both google and dropbox. I haven't decided which app to get for my iPad yet, but I'm leaning to Office2 HD - at least then I wouldn't need to learn a new interface.

- Tim

Office 2 just seems to be lacking for me. I would hate to need an additional app to fill gaps.

clemsondave said:
I downloaded upad. I still have to convert the .doc to .pdf, but I can then use upad to handwrite notes, type in model/serial numbers and have the customer 'sign' the document. Then I can email it to them on the spot. Very cool!

I want the handwriting rec. Thanx though.

Mainiac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. Looks like it will be a great resource.

I'm trying to figure out which app works best with the Mac 2008 versions of Word and Excel. I'm leaning towards Quickoffice, but one of the most recent reviews (3/29) claims it doesn't keep formatting for Mac Word 2008. Are there suites that work better with the Windows version of the MS Suite and other that work better with the Mac versions?

Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. Looks like it will be a great resource.

I'm trying to figure out which app works best with the Mac 2008 versions of Word and Excel. I'm leaning towards Quickoffice, but one of the most recent reviews (3/29) claims it doesn't keep formatting for Mac Word 2008. Are there suites that work better with the Windows version of the MS Suite and other that work better with the Mac versions?

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum. We hope you find answers to all your questions here and can post your views and experiences.

One of our members recently carried out a review of Office apps for the iPad for his company. Have a look in this thread.

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Get back in touch if you have any further questions.

Tim
Scotland

mrtim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I decided to try QuickOffice. It has an excellent file manager, and good integration with dropbox, which is important to me. I have found a few issues:

One large complex spreadsheet I use has graphs embedded. They don't display. However they are not damaged, and show again in Excel after a sheet has been edited by QO.

Saving a spreadsheet back to google docs loses some formatting. I don't do this often, but there you are.

A significant issue I've found is related to text entry into cells: it really wants you to enter numbers, and shifts the keyboard immediately into number mode regardless of the cell type. Furthermore once you correct this and start to type your text, it pops back to number mode every time you hit the space bar in between words! Clearly this is a bug (I'm told the iPhone version does not do this) so I would hope to see it fixed soon.

I've only done limited Word testing so far, but it seems easy to work with.

- Tim

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mrtim said:
I decided to try QuickOffice. It has an excellent file manager, and good integration with dropbox, which is important to me. I have found a few issues:

One large complex spreadsheet I use has graphs embedded. They don't display. However they are not damaged, and show again in Excel after a sheet has been edited by QO.

Saving a spreadsheet back to google docs loses some formatting. I don't do this often, but there you are.

A significant issue I've found is related to text entry into cells: it really wants you to enter numbers, and shifts the keyboard immediately into number mode regardless of the cell type. Furthermore once you correct this and start to type your text, it pops back to number mode every time you hit the space bar in between words! Clearly this is a bug (I'm told the iPhone version does not do this) so I would hope to see it fixed soon.

I've only done limited Word testing so far, but it seems easy to work with.

- Tim

I notice you mentioned excel, how do you like the word version? Do you find it just comfortable enough for editing or is creating documents easy as well. Also, will it sync to google dice or do you have to actively dispose and re upload edited versions.

jweakley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Based upon the office app comparison by richsadams it appears that all of the 3 work reasonably well for "average" Word and Excel files. I note that the Quickoffice app is considerably more expensive than the others. Do any forum members have comments about their experiences with Office 2 HD and Documents to Go?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions