What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Replacing Some iPad 2s for Backlight Bleeding Issues

Aa1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Doesn't really bother me, I got a little bleeding on each corner but I don't notice it when I'm watching a movie a night unless I look for it. Plus I bought my iPad when I was over in the US, so not stressing over something that doesn't even bother me.

Ps, bleeding is normal with these types of screens.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can not for the life of me understand how people say you should just get over the fact that there is some light bleeding in the new iPad 2.
This was a product you paid your hard earned money for and you are suppose to accept imperfection? This is an Apple product and as usual they are doing the right thing buy quickly exchanging them out. What I don't understand is why this was not caught in Apple's quality control at the very beginning. I cannot believe this was an unknown problem before shipments were started. As for me me I'm sitting here happy with my refurbished non light bleeding original iPad and have never had a single thing to find wrong with it. It is my belief that 2 was rushed to market as not to disappoint the masses who wanted both the "upgrade" and those that wanted one for the first time after the initial product announcement. It would not have been in Apple's interest to delay and admit to a problem and hold up delivery.

v0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got over it. The only time I do see it is when I watch movies and even then barely so. Not to mention you've got to really turn the brightness ALL THE WAY UP to catch it.

Besides its not that Apple didnt catch it, it was too late to do anything . Anything that wasn't preventative would've been expensive. Especially with the overwhelming demand worldwide. Give or take some for the sake of maintaining quantity.

mikeypm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I picked up an ipad2 on the day of release here in the UK and discovered the bleed over the weekend and went on my lunch hour hour on the Monday and no questions asked got a brand new unit which is the same one I'm using now, I'm so glad I got my iPad and knew from previous experience that apple have good customer service and I wouldn't have any issues should an issue crop up

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I checked mine last night and I have a little. I bought it almost when it first came out. At this point it probably is not worth the hassle to do an exchange. I have used it this long without noticing it.

Granty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just replaced mine. New one is just as bad. Actually looks almost same. They said give it two weeks as it's the glue and it should fade. Will be sick of running back and forth soon though.

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mines got it and it actually seems to be getting worse, not better. :(

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mines got it and it actually seems to be getting worse, not better. :(
Mine was the same, got worse over time. Brought it in to my local Apple store and they replaced it no problem, even though I bought it at Best Buy. Replacement is working great with no issues. :)

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Waiting to see if they get a permane solution to it before I take mine back. Really don't want to keep returning them.

Granty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm now on my third. The first two had five obvious light leakage along one side on the long side of the screen. The third now has one that's about an inch near the home button and some slight bleed along the long side of the edges. The thing is now you can see the bleed in ambient levels (no lights) on greys as well so watching movies and playing games it's really noticeable. I don't think I'm being too picky here. If it was just small leakage around the edges like this one is now excluding the major leak then I'd be happy but as it affects watching movies or reading kindle it's very irritating. Not sure whether or not to take it back for a fourth. The last time they didn't even check my iPad. Walked in and 10 minutes later I was out with a new one.

stevekhlim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will have my fifth exchange iPad in coming few days. 2 of them is services replacement iPad. The reason Apple exchange to me is because of dead pixel on the screen. Apple did gave me free wireless keyboard as compensate and apologize on the faulty iPad.

MMIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my Ipad2 for about 2 months and I just noticed slight light bleeding at the bottom of my IPad. It is only slightly noticeable on dark backgrounds. Should I return it now for replacement? It's barely noticeable. For those of you who have had theirs replaced, did it get progressively worse? Thoughts?

stevekhlim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my Ipad2 for about 2 months and I just noticed slight light bleeding at the bottom of my IPad. It is only slightly noticeable on dark backgrounds. Should I return it now for replacement? It's barely noticeable. For those of you who have had theirs replaced, did it get progressively worse? Thoughts?

For my case, firstly I hv call Apple customers services hotline to report the problem. Probably, they will ask you bring your device to the Apple authorise services provider for their diagnosis report or take the photo. Once Apple confirm that is hardware issue, they will ask you bring down your devide back to service provider, and wait for the Service Replacement iPad (not a brand new). Apple will only replace a brand new iPad for you after 2 or 3 times the replacement iPad having the hardware problem. Whole process take around a week.

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't do any calling. Just brought mine to my local Apple store. Once they verified the issue, it was replaced right then. I spent about 30 minutes total in the store, including the 10 minute wait time for a Genius rep.

Most reactions

Latest posts