What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Replacing Some iPad 2s for Backlight Bleeding Issues

solarrdadd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed that mine is bad(noticeable) only between 30-50% brightness. Full up, it's gone(and here, I thought it would be worse!).
I'm not taking mine back for a while, if at all. Depends on how long term it bothers me. I have a year, I'll wait. Not a biggie.
Try different brightness settings. See what happens.

i feel the same way. i only noticed it when i did the thing with blocking the vidoeo camera. it doesn't affect the normal opoerations of the device (to me) and that's what's most important. i also have applecare on the thing so i've got 2 years that if it does begin to creep into the actual usability of the device then i'll have them replace it.

other than that, this thing isn't leaving my hands!

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has anyone had a replacement from Apple that wa actually 100% fine?

Chulojay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have bleeding on mine. I bought Saturday a day after its release. I think I'll exchange it down the road though towards the end of the year.

Attachments

• image-1839398576.png
    image-1839398576.png
    143.8 KB · Views: 458

Madchiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my replacement today. it only took 2 days. The new one has a little light bleed, but still has less than my old one, and no dead pixels!! (my first one had 2, and a dent on the case).

The Genius told me that they were inspecting new units for bleeding when they come in. So the bad units should dwindle out. I can live with the little bit of bleed i got on my replacement.

Petersenjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 iPads, 2 bleeding screens. Talked With apple, they said to hold on a couple of weeks, as most of th stock still has the issue. Now, with that, the apple engineers are aware there is a wide spread issue and are trying to resolve it.

One thing apple had said, some of the second batch iPads (the replacements basically) have worse bleeding the original. Like mine, the one I am on right now is worse then my first. Oh well, will replace soon

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,

Been lurking around on the forum since I bought my iPad 2 (didn't buy the 1st gen).

This thread made me register lol

I just checked mine and my wife's iPad 2 and both have this issue with bleeding, they are much more visible near the home button and also towards the left of the screen (when holding the iPad upright). While it's not a major issue when using the iPad for general use it does get annoying when watching a movie that has some dark scenes...

I'm from Australia and will most likely wait a little while until, at least another batch of iPads is released before getting a replacement.

cvadh387

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered an Ipad2 online and it still has yet to ship. I'm still worried about the light bleeding problem though. I hope mine doesn't have any problems..

Should I have anything to worry about? Or will mine be fine because it's being shipped out on approximately April 21st. Will all the Ipad2's being shipped out at a later date like mine be fine??

What happens to all of the returned Ipad2's with the light bleeding problem? Will Apple try to fix those and resell them again? I'm pretty confused as to how everything works.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
cvadh387 said:
I ordered an Ipad2 online and it still has yet to ship. I'm still worried about the light bleeding problem though. I hope mine doesn't have any problems..

Should I have anything to worry about? Or will mine be fine because it's being shipped out on approximately April 21st. Will all the Ipad2's being shipped out at a later date like mine be fine??

What happens to all of the returned Ipad2's with the light bleeding problem? Will Apple try to fix those and resell them again? I'm pretty confused as to how everything works.

@cvadh387

I wouldn't worry too much as although the problem exists it's not a big issue, unless your ipads screen is really dark (like black dark) you won't notice it, when you get it test the screen out, if you feel you don't want it take it back to apple and they'll return it no questions asked.

---------- ---------- ----------

(Waiting for iPad 2 iOS 4.3 JB)

ziggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
might the bleeding become worse in time?

I just spent $45 for purchase and installation of Zagg front invisible shield. I didn't notice the bleeding until I read about it here, after the shield was installed. Now I wonder if the problem can become worse with time and I should just eat the $45 and replace the unit. Or wait until the warranty is about to expire... ?

Beaniem39

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:
Called apple store. No prob with exchange within 12 months:) yay! Mine isn't bad unless I'm in a dark room watching a movie with widescreen bars on top & bottom. Not enough to bother me much, I'll wait until closer to the year's end. If they exchange, do I get a brand new one(same model & version)? Or do I get a reburb one(or will they try to fix mine)? Curious.....

A new one same model with a new serial number.

Iamdcfierce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I got the iPad Friday and Saturday I notice the bleeding lights at the bottom left corner and on the right side of my iPad but it's very little. I'm gonna wait it out too, one year to wait

Cryptic1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine too... Hadn't tried a black background yet. Now that I have, there's obvious bleeding in the lower left corner (left of the home button). Guess I'll wait till I hear the issue is fixed then maybe return this one. Sigh...

quagman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Picked up my iPad 2 yesterday and immediately noticed the backlight bleed because I turned it on in the dark. I think it makes sense to wait a while to replace it until Apple fixes the production issue, but my question is when you get it replaced, will the techs transfer all your information from the old iPad to the new one?

Most reactions

Latest posts