What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple iPad 2 - Big deal or not?

eozen81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Do you think we should care about "Ipad 2 will be 7 inches" rumours? Cause IPad has always been so large for me, If these rumours are true I will definetely buy Ipad 2.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not upgrade? Think about it..

If it has some things youd like, do it.

If you bought your iPad 8 months ago, and sell it for 400 over your 630 price tag, that's 230. Over an 8 month period that's $29 a month you sent to enjoy your iPad. I pay roughly 90 a month for directv. $200 on premium cigars. $200 on beer an liquor. Ect..

And to upgrade to get a better device, not to mention a fresh battery, why not??

scottamc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a 7' is too small if they come out with one. I thought Galaxy tab is too small for web viewing. 9.7" is just right.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Do you think we should care about "Ipad 2 will be 7 inches" rumours? Cause IPad has always been so large for me, If these rumours are true I will definetely buy Ipad 2.

That won't happen.

The Apple CEO said, "Given that all tablet users will already have a smartphone in their pocket, giving up precious display area to fit a tablet in their pocket is clearly the wrong trade off. The seven-inch tablets are tweeners, too big to be a phone and too small to compete with the iPad."

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not even a 7" will fit in your pocket. Not unless you are 13 and wear JNCO jeans from the 90’s that have pockets big enough to fit a laptop inside of them.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was excited until I found out it wasn't going to have any higher resolution screen. The iPhone4 screen absolutely blows away the iPad and I want my iPad to be similar. That one option would make me upgrade on day 1.

To me, the best part of the new iPad is the lighter weight and smaller size. Who cares about a camera if you have a smartphone? Most people who can afford a tablet already have a smartphone that is easier for video calling and photo taking.

A higher resolution screen is the only item that would make me upset over the next generation iPad. I don't need\want Cameras, lighter weight,slimmer or more battery life. It works just fine as is.

I really don't understand your complaint about the screen....it really is brilliant...and resolution wise it is much higher than desktop screens of it's size. I had a 19" LCD screen that was max res of 1024x768...its pretty standard.

Color reproduction is top notch....images are crystal clear...maybe try turning up the brightness?

Exactly! Its getting very tired reading all this retina display hype. The current ipad display is GREAt as is. If u want more detail, turn up the brightness instead of having it turned all the way down tomsave battery life if its that big of a deal to people. Plus retina display will not look as good either with brightness all the way down! Juss sayin ;-). Retina display hype is ridiculous. Its not night and day difference from current display. People act like ipad is back n white and retina is color finally comin. Give me a break, people, lol get over the hype.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its not exactly hype. You don't see more details by turning up the brightness (do you really believe that?) More detail comes from more DPI (dots per inch) the iPhone 4 has significantly higher DPI than the iPad. But more DPI usually means more $$$ as well, and if you want to equal the DPI of the iPhone 4 on a 10" screen it's going to be significantly more expensive than the current display on the iPad.

Oh, and a 19" display with 1024x768 resolution is NOT "pretty much standard" maybe it was in 2001, but not now. Now the standard is 1280x1024 on a 19". Still lower than the iPad's DPI, but not as big of a difference between the iPad and iPhone 4. The iPad would benefit from higher DPI because you get crisper images, higher clarity, just overall a better looking screen. Personally I would like to see iPad go to a 16:10 aspect ratio, as it's closer to the widescreen gold standard 16:9. No one makes 4:3 stuff anymore, not sure why Apple insists on it.

Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its not exactly hype. You don't see more details by turning up the brightness (do you really believe that?) More detail comes from more DPI (dots per inch) the iPhone 4 has significantly higher DPI than the iPad. But more DPI usually means more $$$ as well, and if you want to equal the DPI of the iPhone 4 on a 10" screen it's going to be significantly more expensive than the current display on the iPad.

Oh, and a 19" display with 1024x768 resolution is NOT "pretty much standard" maybe it was in 2001, but not now. Now the standard is 1280x1024 on a 19". Still lower than the iPad's DPI, but not as big of a difference between the iPad and iPhone 4. The iPad would benefit from higher DPI because you get crisper images, higher clarity, just overall a better looking screen. Personally I would like to see iPad go to a 16:10 aspect ratio, as it's closer to the widescreen gold standard 16:9. No one makes 4:3 stuff anymore, not sure why Apple insists on it.

To answer the question, No. But it does makes things seem duller at a lower brightness. Plus ipad display is already Great. More thn good enough to see all details. People never satisfied. Then once ipad finally gets retina comparable display, then people still gonna complain. Why? Cuz by then, iphone 5 gonna have Eagle Eyes vision display(just an example)..lmfao which is better n more dpi then retina. See where im going with this. ;-). It would be different if ipad display sucked n was dull as hell but its the exact opposite.
Sure, id love a better display also, but im not gonna cry about it and base my decision on new ipad for that reason alone. By it not having it, meaning retina display.
I cant lie though, Iphone 4 screen does look clear n crisp as a mofo. ;-) ipad2 not a major upgrade anyway, only incremental, ipad 3 will be a major one though.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really don't understand your complaint about the screen....it really is brilliant...and resolution wise it is much higher than desktop screens of it's size. I had a 19" LCD screen that was max res of 1024x768...its pretty standard.

Color reproduction is top notch....images are crystal clear...maybe try turning up the brightness?

My first crt 19" display 10 years ago had a resolution of 1600x1200. 2 19" displays that i have had for 5 years each that were LCD based had a resolution of 1280x1024. Never was 1024x768 a standard on anything larger than a 15" monitor, and even then those were low end junk monitors.

The iPad screen isn't bad at all, but it's not even comparable to desktop or laptop screens. We hold and keep the ipad much closer to our eyes than a desktop screen. A desktop can get away with having a smaller dpi because we are sitting several feet away. I don't hold my ipad 3-4 feet away from my face. Its usually within 2 feet and a lot of times closer than that.

eozen81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That won't happen.

The Apple CEO said, "Given that all tablet users will already have a smartphone in their pocket, giving up precious display area to fit a tablet in their pocket is clearly the wrong trade off. The seven-inch tablets are tweeners, too big to be a phone and too small to compete with the iPad."

Tx for the clarification pal, so now I gotta think to buy Ipad or wait for Ipad 2 :) Thanks.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score

To answer the question, No. But it does makes things seem duller at a lower brightness. Plus ipad display is already Great. More thn good enough to see all details. People never satisfied. Then once ipad finally gets retina comparable display, then people still gonna complain. Why? Cuz by then, iphone 5 gonna have Eagle Eyes vision display(just an example)..lmfao which is better n more dpi then retina. See where im going with this. ;-). It would be different if ipad display sucked n was dull as hell but its the exact opposite.
Sure, id love a better display also, but im not gonna cry about it and base my decision on new ipad for that reason alone. By it not having it, meaning retina display.
I cant lie though, Iphone 4 screen does look clear n crisp as a mofo. ;-) ipad2 not a major upgrade anyway, only incremental, ipad 3 will be a major one though.

Calling a screen "great" is subjective though. Some people might think a Ford Fusion is a "great" car, others may say it's complete junk. I understand that you wouldn't base an update on screen resolution alone, but it is a feature that many people want.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Calling a screen "great" is subjective though. Some people might think a Ford Fusion is a "great" car, others may say it's complete junk. I understand that you wouldn't base an update on screen resolution alone, but it is a feature that many people want.

Well, I certainly wouldn't complain, unless it makes the price of the iPad so astronomical that I'd need a loan to get it, which a 10 inch retina quality screen would most likely do. Be another year or so before screens like that are cheap enough for mere mortals.

Yes, that's an exaggeration, but not by much.

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly! Its getting very tired reading all this retina display hype.

Which is exactly why I couldn't care less about rumours. When Apple makes its announcement about exactly what the iPad 2 will be offering and when it will be available, it's all empty noise and speculation.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some very good points were made all recent posters. Dont get me wrong, i want a better display also But it seems like thats all everyone talks about. Lets talk about how great the ipad could be if it had the quad core processor, like the upcoming Sony NGP is gonna have. Or talk about how ipad having 1 or 2 GB of RAM would make things better. Those tie into having a new display also because more processing power is gonna be needed to push out those crazy resolutions ;-)
Apple should just wait on pushing out the ipad 2 until enough new higher resolution displays are available in bulk. Also wait so they can add newer technology such as better/faster processor. This incremental upgrades are B.S. Once ipad 2 drops, it wont be long b4 ipad 3 comes. That will make ipad 2 owners angry because it would be outdated even faster thn the first generation. I do want a cam badly on my ipad for video chat/conferencing but wont be the only reason for me to upgrade my current ipad. Even the rumoured specs on new dual core processor is only a slight performance increase over the current one. If someone could figure, like with htc smartphones, etc.., how to overclock, we could easily get ours to 1.2ghz. Current ipad is like 1ghz and new one supposedly 1.2GHz. Thats not a big jump at all. A 20% increase or whatever. :-/
Lets get this new puppy(ipad2) running close to or more thn 2GHz and now we will be talking some serious performance increase. Even at its current state, ipad has replaced my need for gaming systems. With games like Dead Space, Infinity Blade, and NOVA2, IMO, are very close or comparable to current generation gaming consoles. Ipad does it all and thats what i love about it. I use to be an avid apple basher until my first apple product, my 32GB wifi ipad. Simple to use and can do a ton of different things. Its my jack of all trades. For the things it cant do, ive found easy work arounds for it. Jailbraking does open up the door for a ton of new possibilities with the ipad.

Most reactions