What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting to lose interest in iPad 2.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, the iPad started something special - I love the form of it for casual surfing, gaming etc. and the range of Apps is superb.
Now I realise IOS is a stable and easy to use OS but I'm looking at all these Honeycomb tablets at MWC and also the HP WebOS Tablet and I think this year is going to kill the iPad.
I'm expecting the usual incremental upgrade from Apple i.e. add in the camera, bump up specs a bit and I know this is all still conjecture at this point but I would feel short changed if I upgraded to iPad 2 when realistically it might not come close to what others are offering.
I would like Flash & USB support and HDMI output would be nice as well but not at the expense of the core OS. The problem is these new OS's that are coming are more than a match for IOS imho and sitting on much more open and powerful hardware just makes any upgrade to a future iPad highly unlikely.
The only thing I can see keeping me with IOS are the apps that I have, for the time being, in which case I would be more likely to just keep my original iPad and see how the app stores for the other OS's build up.

Anyone else thinking the same?

Last edited:

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, the iPad started something special - I love the form of it for casual surfing, gaming etc. and the range of Apps is superb.
Now I realise IOS is a stable and easy to use OS but I'm looking at all these Honeycomb tablets at MWC and also the HP WebOS Tablet and I think this year is going to kill the iPad.
I'm expecting the usual incremental upgrade from Apple i.e. add in the camera, bump up specs a bit and I know this is all still conjecture at this point but I would feel short changed if I upgraded to iPad 2 when realistically it might not come close to what others are offering.
I would like Flash & USB support and HDMI output would be nice as well but not at the expense of the core OS. The problem is these new OS's that are coming are more than a match for IOS imho and sitting on much more open and powerful hardware just makes any upgrade to a future iPad highly unlikely.
The only thing I can see keeping me with IOS are the apps that I have, for the time being, in which case I would be more likely to just keep my original iPad and see how the app stores for the other OS's build up.

Anyone else thinking the same?

That's pretty much exactly what I am thinking. I have too much invested in the iOS platform to simply abandon it at this point. I pretty much agree with your assessment of the situation as it is now. I use my iPad quite a bit and for what it does I am happy. But, it is pretty much a toy for me. My next tablet will have to fit more of a productivity / laptop replacement role and that means USB and Flash at a minimum. I am in the market for a new notebook at home for my daughter to use. If there was a tablet that supported Flash and USB chances are I would go that route instead.

This should be a fun year in any case. This market is going to get very interesting.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If there was a tablet that supported Flash and USB chances are I would go that route instead.
You could buy a Motorola Xoom. They are only $1200.00!

lol .. no thanks.

For my uses, the iPad is just fine. Unfortunately many (most?) of the educational sites my daughter has to use for school have some sort of Flash built in, so I have been hoping for something better than our netbook for those uses, and seeing her use the iPad makes me wish there was a tablet that would work. For $1200 though I would probably just buy a notebook and a second iPad!

Last edited:
OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If there was a tablet that supported Flash and USB chances are I would go that route instead.

As soon as there a couple of these on the market I'm sure prices will drop. The Samsung Tablet 10.1 is already looking a slightly better spec'd device which should come in at a lower price point.

kryptykk

iPF Noob
Reaction score

lol .. no thanks.

For my uses, the iPad is just fine. Unfortunately many (most?) of the educational sites my daughter has to use for school have some sort of Flash built in, so I have been hoping for something better than our netbook for those uses, and seeing her use the iPad makes me wish there was a tablet that would work. For $1200 though I would probably just buy a notebook and a second iPad!

Have you tried using Skyfire? It converts flash to HTML5 and can render most webpages.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Xoom will NOT be $1200. Trust me on this. ;)

I can trust you or I can trust engandget --

motoxo833.png

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried using Skyfire? It converts flash to HTML5 and can render most webpages.

It can convert flash VIDEO to HTML5, sometimes, and does a half ass job with the rest. It does not convert all flash content on a site. Not really the great white hope.

I'm pretty happy with my iPad at this point. I'd really like to see them beef up iWorks a bit. For functions and options. Then I'd be really happy.

Hal

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I need to give it a shot. I usually just remote into my desktop PC when I want to view Flash material, but that is a little too complex for a six year old. It's hard to believe they give computer based homework to kindergartners ... lol.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ad was pulled, and I saw where it is going to be $800, with a $600 wifi version. as for the claims that the new tablets are going to kill the iPad, that is nonsense. They are not even on the market, and they still have not released Honeycomb. Even if everything was done right, people are going to find that it will take more money or less features to beat Apple. Apple has sold millions and learned the same lessons that their competition has. When the Android based units brag about their features, I am relatively certain that Apple will be still ahead. If you look at how much businesses are working to integrate iPads into their systems, you realize that they are here to stay.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it will be a toss up. I think there will be plenty of people holding on to their first generation iPads, like me who just got it about 2 1/2 months ago. People who don't have one might spring for an iPad 2, and the Android varieties will be part of the equation. I think the Xoom will enter the arena for sure, but I don't think the iPad is in danger of interest being lost in it. I am very happy and use my iPad every day. It's not just a toy but a tool and stores resources for me and very useful to me. The battery life and stability are a joy. So I haven't even lost interest in iPad 1, LOL.

Most reactions

Latest posts