What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple iPad 2 - Big deal or not?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was excited until I found out it wasn't going to have any higher resolution screen. The iPhone4 screen absolutely blows away the iPad and I want my iPad to be similar. That one option would make me upgrade on day 1.

To me, the best part of the new iPad is the lighter weight and smaller size. Who cares about a camera if you have a smartphone? Most people who can afford a tablet already have a smartphone that is easier for video calling and photo taking.

Actually the iPad screen is about the best on the market...the iPhone 4 screen is optimized for a small screen...to have the exact same screen on the iPad scaled up to 10" would not only be insanely high res (like more than twice the 27" iMac Res) which would raise the price of the iPad by a couple thousand dollars!

As it is it is using the exact same panel that is used in HP's $2500 Pro grade Dream Color Display!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was excited until I found out it wasn't going to have any higher resolution screen. The iPhone4 screen absolutely blows away the iPad and I want my iPad to be similar. That one option would make me upgrade on day 1.

To me, the best part of the new iPad is the lighter weight and smaller size. Who cares about a camera if you have a smartphone? Most people who can afford a tablet already have a smartphone that is easier for video calling and photo taking.

Exactly! Who cares about a camera?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the iPad 2 is a basic upgrade because it was due. Apple could not get the high res screen available for full scale production in time, so they will have it on the iPad 3, with possible additional upgrades like a better camera and more RAM.

IPad-Fan-64

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was going to get the iPad 2 but it still won't have flash which I need so I opted for the Galaxy Tab, which has got cameras back & front.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have we heard any SOLID information from a reliable source about upgrades fir the iPad 2?

I'm guessing, just based on Apple's upgrade paths, like others have said, this will be a minor upgrade. But they may just break tradition since they are getting so much competition this year. When all the other tablets are going to have higher resolution screens, dual core processors, etc, etc, they might just decide to do a complete rebuild.

Or maybe they will keep with their usual minor upgrade one year, major upgrade the next.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have we heard any SOLID information from a reliable source about upgrades fir the iPad 2?

I'm guessing, just based on Apple's upgrade paths, like others have said, this will be a minor upgrade. But they may just break tradition since they are getting so much competition this year. When all the other tablets are going to have higher resolution screens, dual core processors, etc, etc, they might just decide to do a complete rebuild.

Or maybe they will keep with their usual minor upgrade one year, major upgrade the next.

No keynote yet, so it's all speculation, but I think software which will roll out to iPad 1 will be the only big news, as usual. Shouldn't be a hardware reboot this early in it's life.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score

A higher resolution screen is the only item that would make me upset over the next generation iPad. I don't need\want Cameras, lighter weight,slimmer or more battery life. It works just fine as is.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

A higher resolution screen is the only item that would make me upset over the next generation iPad. I don't need\want Cameras, lighter weight,slimmer or more battery life. It works just fine as is.

I really don't understand your complaint about the screen....it really is brilliant...and resolution wise it is much higher than desktop screens of it's size. I had a 19" LCD screen that was max res of 1024x768...its pretty standard.

Color reproduction is top notch....images are crystal clear...maybe try turning up the brightness?

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury said:
I really don't understand your complaint about the screen....it really is brilliant...and resolution wise it is much higher than desktop screens of it's size. I had a 19" LCD screen that was max res of 1024x768...its pretty standard.

Color reproduction is top notch....images are crystal clear...maybe try turning up the brightness?

It's fine as is, but if you have a Android phone (I have a Droid) or a iPhone 4 and put the 2 side by side, you can see the difference in the clarity of the screen. Aka the pixel count.

Text you can't read if it is too small on the iPad are perfectly legible on the Droid\iPhone. The difference between my Droid Phone and the iPad does look like the below....

mypicture1p.jpg

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
umm you are comparing a last gen iPhone and a current gen....not an iPad and iPhone 4.

Again, as I stated in the last thread you complained about the screen in.....to scale the iPhone screen up to iPad size and retain the same resolution and PPI it would cost a few thousand dollars for the screen alone....not too feasible!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
umm you are comparing a last gen iPhone and a current gen....not an iPad and iPhone 4.

Again, as I stated in the last thread you complained about the screen in.....to scale the iPhone screen up to iPad size and retain the same resolution and PPI it would cost a few thousand dollars for the screen alone....not too feasible!

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I was just trying to show a screen clarity difference. When you get to a certain font size on the iPad, it is hard to read compared to my Droid phone, or a iPhone 4. Similar to above.

I am not complaining over the screen really, I just stated that it is the 1 item if they improved, it would make me really want the newer version.

Slimmer, lighter weight, cameras, faster processor, gyroscope are not all that important to me enough to run out to get the newest version whenever it is released.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think moving to a faster dualcore with doubling the ram should have a noticeable effect on the performance of some software and even lead to better apps.
Some are already pushing the hardware limits. No more clearing ram before running them.
Like Twerpp. I have a need for a camera and look forward to having one installed, though not for facetime.....

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think moving to a faster dualcore with doubling the ram should have a noticeable effect on the performance of some software and even lead to better apps.
Some are already pushing the hardware limits. No more clearing ram before running them.
Like Twerpp. I have a need for a camera and look forward to having one installed, though not for facetime.....

I can easily see the RAM upgrade. The phone has it already. Maybe a bit more processing\3D power for future games like Rage HD, Infinity Blade, Dead Space, Etc as these types are likely pushing the hardware pretty good.

Technician99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really do not know if the iPad 2 will be a big deal for me or not. I can not tell until Apple actually releases a device because all I read is either a guess or rumor. Not sure if more RAM if it happens will help. As you know for then reason of being completely cheap the iPad had only 256Meg of RAM with 512 being common in the industry. I would love more than 64Gig Flash Memory, I bought only 2 TV Series to watch on the plane etc.... my 64Gig iPad is filled. .... All rumor at this point.

Most reactions