What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple iPad 2 - Big deal or not?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
Oh noooo...lol. Everyone would get that..lol there are 3 models for wifi versions: 16gb, 32gb, and 64gb
3 models for 3g versions: 16,32, abd 64gb
With increase in memory becomes more expensive and jump to 3g versions even more expensive.
Wifi versions are great, dont knock em. U could always wirelessly tether with ur movile phone to get internet connection to wifi ipad. Wifi picks up the mobile tethering or hotspot signal and ur good to go. Thags what i do n wrks perfectly ;-)

Why not just get rid of the wifi only ipad. .? 3g ipad has wifi as well.
No sense in it, i would loose out selling mines. N buying another 1st generation. Ill either give my ipadvto mywoman n get ipad2 now or just hold out till ipad3 drop. Then get that n give my ipad to my woman ;-)
Im not pressed for gps with 3g models and not trying to pay for another data plan when i get internet, on the go, to my ipad thru wireless tethering on my win mo phone just fine..lol. When im home i use my comcast high speed internet access. My wifi ipad picks it up just fine and no mobile service or 3g or 4g can remotely even come close to my blazing fast internet connection speeds.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the iPad 2 is a basic upgrade because it was due. Apple could not get the high res screen available for full scale production in time, so they will have it on the iPad 3, with possible additional upgrades like a better camera and more RAM.

iPAD 2 is due why? iPAD 3 will have retina quality screen for sure? and much more memory to satisfy PC Geeks?

As an iPAD master ... do you have a clue how iPAD hardware and iOS operates.

Check this Link:

iOS 4.2 – Can the iPad Really Handle Multitasking? | PadGadget

It explains the difference in memory management from iOS3.2 and then iOS4.2. Now iOS4.3 is here and what improvements are included ... some of us will find out.

Are you thinking PC like with Windows XP ... if you have 2 GB, but memory is much less expensive, then just load up 4, 6, or 8 and then I will really have performance. Do you realize that XP 32 bit can only recognize up to 2 GB of memory. The extra memory wouldn't even be recognized.

Assumptions from the PC world projected in the new world of mobile iOS low power architectures are so misleading. I hope this doesn't sound like scolding, but knowing what is going on and then making strong statements might be believable.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
iPAD 2 is due why? iPAD 3 will have retina quality screen for sure? and much more memory to satisfy PC Geeks?

As an iPAD master ... do you have a clue how iPAD hardware and iOS operates.

Check this Link:

It explains the difference in memory management from iOS3.2 and then iOS4.2. Now iOS4.3 is here and what improvements are included ... some of us will find out.

Are you thinking PC like with Windows XP ... if you have 2 GB, but memory is much less expensive, then just load up 4, 6, or 8 and then I will really have performance. Do you realize that XP 32 bit can only recognize up to 2 GB of memory. The extra memory wouldn't even be recognized.

Assumptions from the PC world projected in the new world of mobile iOS low power architectures are so misleading. I hope this doesn't sound like scolding, but knowing what is going on and then making strong statements might be believable.

He said "I think". It's his opinion, chill out. And the status of iPad master is just based on the number of posts he has made.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True, no real Game changimg features. Its only slight performance increase and gonna have the cam for facetime or video chat. The cam is what has me contimplating. Lots of members in my family have SPrint Evo phones n video chat with each other all the time. I know i would video chat alot if i get the new ipad. NOW, if there was a cam to be made available for the current generation, i would stay with what i have now.
This ipad would be wayyy more of a big deal if they included a quad core processor. I forgot the name of the tablet that is gonna have it. They coming with quadcore processor when most mobile devices finally getting dualcore..lol. I have read that they say dual core or 1.2GHz processor is sufficient for tsblets and anymore would be overkill. Id rather have the overkill because these new apps are becoming more demanding and already push the ipad to the max. Dual core feauture is supposedly gonna make enrgy/power management more efficient and better.
Another feature i see good in the ipad2 is the more memory feature. Meaning its probaly gonna be double of what the current generation uses and be able to multitask more or more efficient. Programs will run faster, IMO, with more mem availble to use. If it has a SD card slot or usb socket, then that will be a mojor selling point also. People are mad how apple changed the voltage output thru the usb camera connection kit. The reasoning for it is b.s. Lmfao. They just realized people were doing alot thru it and cutting back the voltage output would regulate use from non apple products. Figures..lol

Many posts, strong PC architecture focus ... suggest checking out this link

iPhone 4 likely has more memory because of Retina. Retina is not available in Larger sizes like iPAD uses. iOS does not do multitasking like a PC, caching each tab ... rather iOS runs one app at a time. Each app is responsible for its data ... in so called multitasking, you quickly get back to where you were, because the app saves it that way. Storage is in SSD, not system memory like a PC. Since SSD is so much faster than standard harddrive technology, it is a different world than you are suggesting.

iPAD2 is a really big change, processors twice as fast (dual channel), much better graphic performance (rendering becomes awesome) ... I doubt you will ever see quad core in iPAD technology too much power requirement, too much heat. Apple offers MacBook Pro with quad cores and dedicated graphics that compete for demanding gaming. That's not ever going to be in iPAD and tablet touch screen products. IMHO your just wishing, wishing, wishing, Good luck ... while you're waiting, waiting, waiting.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apps are frozen in RAMm not the SSD. When they are auto removed from RAM only their runtime state is recorded to a file on the SSD. If you were to freeze the app on the SSD it could take as much space as the app (depending on the app) and whatever file(s) are loaded in the app. That could more than double the amount of SSD space needed for each app. Now your 220MB app not only needs space to store itself, but as much as +220MB more set aside to keep it frozen.

Of course you could set up some kind of auto or manual cleanup to remove apps frozen in SSD, just like you do RAM. It would be pain though, and would probably cause more problems than it cured.

I admit this is all a bit of an overstatement. Larger apps seldom place their entire runtime in RAM, and many file types only load portions at a time. But it would eat into SSD space quickly, and create more cleanup chores for iOS.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apps are frozen in RAMm not the SSD. When they are auto removed from RAM only their runtime state is recorded to a file on the SSD. If you were to freeze the app on the SSD it could take as much space as the app (depending on the app) and whatever file(s) are loaded in the app. That could more than double the amount of SSD space needed for each app. Now your 220MB app not only needs space to store itself, but as much as +220MB more set aside to keep it frozen.

Of course you could set up some kind of auto or manual cleanup to remove apps frozen in SSD, just like you do RAM. It would be pain though, and would probably cause more problems than it cured.

I admit this is all a bit of an overstatement. Larger apps seldom place their entire runtime in RAM, and many file types only load portions at a time. But it would eat into SSD space quickly, and create more cleanup chores for iOS.

Even though it would slow down the ipad, that would be kinda cool having any app that you ever opened save your state no matter what. So you could have a game open and then close it and come back to it a week later or a month later after several restarts of your iPad and still have its state exactly where you left it. Might get annoying but concept is kinda neat.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Except it would probably save your near crash state too. Then there better be a way to remove the frozen app.

Open, crash
Open, crash
Open, CRASH (sound of iPad hitting wall)

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. But I am getting an iPhone 5 if verizon offers a special upgrade offer like att did when iPhone 4 came out.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've decided to hold off iPad 2 for a number of reasons:

1) cameras will be improved on iPad 3
2) heard too many issues to do with iPad 2, eg bad backlight bleeding, slow charging even connected to the iPad wall charger, scratches out of the box, chipped glass
3) possible retina/improved display
4) I won an iPad 1 in a raffle after selling my original for more than I paid for it!

This might change on Friday or next month though!

Most reactions