What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple iPad 2 - Big deal or not?

Reaction score
So far the iPad 2 only apps are Photobooth and FaceTime.

All other apps including iMovie will work on iPad 1, you just have to import the footage, rather then shooting directly on the iPad.

That is not to say that no other iPad 2 only apps will come out.

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So it really doesn't matter if we think the ipad2 is a major upgrade or not. It's a matter of being able to run the next generation of apps.

Except that - and I know I'm not alone in this - there's already such a huge collection of 1st gen apps available for existing iPad users, including apps which were bought/downloaded with a view to running them on iPhone. Personally I'm quite content with most of the apps I have (and need) right now, and I've stopped buying apps because I still have a pile of them (mostly games) which I haven't even gotten around to using or playing.

I'm sure developers will start building apps that take advantage of the hardware increase on iPad 2 - but whenever someone describes something as "must have", it is usually a sweeping, all-encompassing generalization which begets the question, "yes, but really?"

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
This is very simple to counter. Just about every audiophile website says the Zune HD is superior as a music player. If you want to do more than just listen to music and radio, iPod is the way to go. Unlike iPod fanboys, I'm dead serious about my music and so is my sister, who is a musician and professional music engineer for one of best recording studios in the world. She says there is a healthy mix of iPods and Zunes at work but many folks there say Zune is the better music player, but not necessarily the best device because you can do more things with an iPod. It's all in what you want your device to do. One thing a lot of people rave about is the Zune Pass. Like the App Store is a good reason why the iOS devices are so successful, the Zune Pass and Marketplace are what keep the Zune afloat. It's a much better subscription model than iTunes if you're serious about getting all kinds of content on your player and discovering new music.

Anyway, they're both good and you can't go wrong with either. I'm not knocking the iPod. I'm saying I've had all versions of both iPods and Zunes and, based on my experience swell as my sister's, the Zune just sounds better. The sad thing is Microsoft has really blown an opportunity to make the Zune shine and really compete against the iPod as a serious music player. The iPod IS the better device, no question about it. But I rest that the Zune is better for music quality. It's just one of those awesome products that never get over the hump because of lack of aggressive marketing and overseas support. Yet another reason why I'll haul off and slap Steve Ballmer upside the back of his head, should we ever cross paths. But that's another rant for another day.

No hatin' here. Much love and respect for iPod.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

I really like how most people come back and yell again, but you just, I don't even know how to describe it, you just don't fight back. I think everyone on this forum, I including me, needs to learn that. Everyone has their opinion and that's ok.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a feeling that the ipad2 limitation for iMovie has more to do with needing more ram and graphics acceleration for NLE and real time effects previews without rendering. The current iPad is stretched pretty far already in this regard. None of us will know until Friday though.

"Must have apps" indeed vary based on a user's needs. For me they include the many times faster web browsing being reported due to the new OS and new processing/ graphics, better photo apps that don't limit image size dramatically due to minimal RAM, real RAW processing for my DSLR, more sophisticated midi sequencer and mixing apps that need all the processing power they can squeeze out. The new iPad isn't a laptop, but it will be able to do things my old one just can't do. It's definitely worth the $270 upgrade cost.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had already convinced myself, that I won't need an iPad 2.

However, this decision is fading, after a part of my family, who lives over-seas, mentioned that they will get the new one.

FaceTime will definitely cut the phone costs, but so would Skype and I have barely used it.

Currently I tend to spend 100£/year on international calls. If these would be replaced by videocalls, it would almost cover the difference between iPad 1 and 2.

My main concern is the availability. The reason Skype doesn't work for me, is because it requires both people to be online and at the pc/laptop, so I cannot make spontaneous calls. How does FaceTime handle this? Does it just keeps running in the background and then rings like a normal phone?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:

However, this decision is fading, after a part of my family, who lives over-seas, mentioned that they will get the new one.

FaceTime will definitely cut the phone costs, but so would Skype and I have barely used it.

Currently I tend to spend 100£/year on international calls. If these would be replaced by videocalls, it would almost cover the difference between iPad 1 and 2.

My main concern is the availability. The reason Skype doesn't work for me, is because it requires both people to be online and at the pc/laptop, so I cannot make spontaneous calls. How does FaceTime handle this? Does it just keeps running in the background and then rings like a normal phone?

I think so.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

FaceTime will definitely cut the phone costs, but so would and I have barely used it.

yes and no.

It does run in the background and rings if someone calls....BUT it requires you to be on Wifi for some reason. So if they are on 3G it won't work.

marcus22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At first when I heard about the new ipad 2 coming out, i was not to excited but now that I see that it is lighter, has face time and also with has a new duo core chip which makes it have 9 times the graphic performance. I can't wait for it to come out

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
I have a feeling that the ipad2 limitation for iMovie has more to do with needing more ram and graphics acceleration for NLE and real time effects previews without rendering. The current iPad is stretched pretty far already in this regard. None of us will know until Friday though.

"Must have apps" indeed vary based on a user's needs. For me they include the many times faster web browsing being reported due to the new OS and new processing/ graphics, better photo apps that don't limit image size dramatically due to minimal RAM, real RAW processing for my DSLR, more sophisticated midi sequencer and mixing apps that need all the processing power they can squeeze out. The new iPad isn't a laptop, but it will be able to do things my old one just can't do. It's definitely worth the $270 upgrade cost.

$270 upgrade cost? Where are you buying an iPad?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
grayshark95 said:
$270 upgrade cost? Where are you buying an iPad?

Probably the amount he has to fork out after he's sold his original iPad for a couple hundred or so less than what he paid for it. That's probably right around what I expect to dish out-maybe a bit less-after all is said and done. Maybe I'll just order one and have it sent to my mom in Oregon. No sales tax that way, but delayed time to get my hands on it. :p

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
Probably the amount he has to fork out after he's sold his original iPad for a couple hundred or so less than what he paid for it. That's probably right around what I expect to dish out-maybe a bit less-after all is said and done. Maybe I'll just order one and have it sent to my mom in Oregon. No sales tax that way, but delayed time to get my hands on it. :p

Oh yeah, good point.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score

FaceTime will definitely cut the phone costs, but so would and I have barely used it.

You could always look at something like sending an email notification.

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i waited for the 2nd generation. im glad I did. can't wait to be a first time ipad owner

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to Bestbuy yesterday and they had the 32gb non 3G for $499.00 I has an addition $65.00 in Bestbuy bucks. The case were 12% off. So one came home with me. The camera issues isn't a big deal as I also have a iPhone 4. Overall I'm very happe with the purchase. And the were quickly running out of stock.

The Photog

Most reactions

Latest posts