What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any update on shipments of ipad 2

Dragonbc21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like many others ordered my ipad 2 on march 15. My order confirmation says ships in 3-4 weeks. But the order shows a ship date of 4/11with an arrival date of 4/14. To me that os 5 weeks. Is anyone else in the same situation and have the heard of it coming earlier? Stores keep getting the daily but web orders are suffering. Thanks.

Godfather4190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered on the 12th and have the same exact shipping and delivery date. But I haven't heard anything about it coming early. Just some users on this forum saying it could come a few days early.

Ken_Photo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also ordered on 3/15 but have a ship date of 4/19 and delivery of 4/22.

OP
D

Dragonbc21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
THank you

Thank you for responding. It's quite interesting to see how apple is handling this. I am really not in a rush to get my new ipad as I have an ipad 1 already. I'm more just irked at how they are treating us. Not cool that the stores get them daily and they have the intl launch but us web order people need to wait. Will definitely keep thhe forum updated when I get a ship date. Thanks.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm more just irked at how they are treating us. Not cool that the stores get them daily and they have the intl launch but us web order people need to wait.

I am by no means a Apple fan boy, but understand that I'm not pissed at Apple. the people I'm pissed at are all the POS's that are buying as many Ipads as they can and then reselling them on E-bay and Craiglist. I would love it if they get caught with a bunch of units they can't sale or return.

Godfather4190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rudinater said:
I am by no means a Apple fan boy, but understand that I'm not pissed at Apple. the people I'm pissed at are all the POS's that are buying as many Ipads as they can and then reselling them on E-bay and Craiglist. I would love it if they get caught with a bunch of units they can't sale or return.

I agree, the people are reselling it shouldn't be allowed to buy so many. But I also think that its unfair that I ordered it a day after it came out and have to wait longer than some people that just recently ordered it.

xavier32178

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I called in the day that people over in Australia and other places were able to order there iPad 2 on the Apple online store and could get it shipped to them in 3-4 weeks. It still said 4-5 weeks on the US Apple store. I placed my order 5 days before and the ship date was still over 4 weeks for mine. I asked how people overseas could place an order 5 days later and get there iPad 2 a week or 2 sooner and the agent told me he didn't have an answer why and said that he would refund my money on the smart cover for me because of it. So I was a happy camper about that! Then later that day the US online Apple Store changed to 3-4 weeks. I checked the status of my order and the dates changed and I should get my iPad 2 a couple days sooner :D

xavier32178

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand this is a repeat but I feel it is relevant ....

One has to put this in perspective, production for ipad 2 started in late jan early Feb after the ipad1 production was stopped. It has been stated Apple requested around 700,000 to 800,000 ipad 2 from the Shenzhen, China plant to be available at launch in USA. What actually happen the demand for ipad 2 exceeded everyones expectations as it is estimated Apple sold through the initial inventory in less than a week. No one knows how many ipad2 were made available in all other countries for the second release but again it was a sellout one would expect way over a million . As the production ramps up and hopefully not delayed due to the earthquake in Japan ( some components are made in Japan) then slowly they will catch up. This most likely will take until at least June. The big factor is the new production lines from new factories are not operatng yet ( see below)

It has been stated Apple's manufacture Foxconn can produce 10,000 ipads per day per factory run x 50 lines in full production This is needed to meet world wide demand. At present, the biggest production unit of the region is located at Shenzhen with a production capacity of 2.5 million per month.

DigiTimes reports that Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn has opened up its first iPad production lines at its new plants in Chengdu, China. While the new lines are only capable of producing 300,000 units per month, Foxconn plans to expand it capabilities in Chengdu to 50 production lines capable of manufacturing 40 million iPads per year.

One more thing......
Foxconn in Shenzhen, China has more than 800,000 employees where they manufacture products for other major companies as well as Apple. Apple is the largest customer for Foxconn with analysts estimating that more than . 100,000 of Foxconn's 800,000 workers in China are working on Apple products.

The bottom line is you are purchasing one of the most popular consumer products ever produced which demand is exceeding supply so you have no choice but to be patient and wait

brett.miller62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment that patience is key, but what I take issue with is that stores (Walmart, Target, now Radio-shack and Apple Stores) are getting new shipments regularly, and I have to wait...after having paid in advance.

It would just be nice to see the shipping time rolled back to a shorter window. That's all. I don't think anyone is necessarily "pissed", just disappointed perhaps.

Godfather4190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
I understand this is a repeat but I feel it is relevant ....

One has to put this in perspective, production for ipad 2 started in late jan early Feb after the ipad1 production was stopped. It has been stated Apple requested around 700,000 to 800,000 ipad 2 from the Shenzhen, China plant to be available at launch in USA. What actually happen the demand for ipad 2 exceeded everyones expectations as it is estimated Apple sold through the initial inventory in less than a week. No one knows how many ipad2 were made available in all other countries for the second release but again it was a sellout one would expect way over a million . As the production ramps up and hopefully not delayed due to the earthquake in Japan ( some components are made in Japan) then slowly they will catch up. This most likely will take until at least June. The big factor is the new production lines from new factories are not operatng yet ( see below)

It has been stated Apple's manufacture Foxconn can produce 10,000 ipads per day per factory run x 50 lines in full production This is needed to meet world wide demand. At present, the biggest production unit of the region is located at Shenzhen with a production capacity of 2.5 million per month.

DigiTimes reports that Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn has opened up its first iPad production lines at its new plants in Chengdu, China. While the new lines are only capable of producing 300,000 units per month, Foxconn plans to expand it capabilities in Chengdu to 50 production lines capable of manufacturing 40 million iPads per year.

One more thing......
Foxconn in Shenzhen, China has more than 800,000 employees where they manufacture products for other major companies as well as Apple. Apple is the largest customer for Foxconn with analysts estimating that more than . 100,000 of Foxconn's 800,000 workers in China are working on Apple products.

The bottom line is you are purchasing one of the most popular consumer products ever produced which demand is exceeding supply so you have no choice but to be patient and wait

You are right, but still that doesn't change the fact that people that ordered it later are getting it sooner. Look, I'm not overly pissed that it's taking so long to get here. I understand that demand is high, but to say that apple didn't expect this high demand is a cop out.

burntice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get this I ordered my ipad on 3/13 got a 4/11 ship date. I have been casually calling and visiting our local Best Buy each visit they are out of stock. I was discussing with my neighbor about the ipad and features. On his lunch hour he goes in to see if they have one to play with..haha. Anyhow they so happen got a shipment that day he gets the last one. He had the nerve to ask me how to turn it on....Uggh

I practically sold one for Apple and can't get my hands on one .....

Godfather4190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
burntice said:
Get this I ordered my ipad on 3/13 got a 4/11 ship date. I have been casually calling and visiting our local Best Buy each visit they are out of stock. I was discussing with my neighbor about the ipad and features. On his lunch hour he goes in to see if they have one to play with..haha. Anyhow they so happen got a shipment that day he gets the last one. He had the nerve to ask me how to turn it on....Uggh

I practically sold one for Apple and can't get my hands on one .....

You are preaching to the choir my friend.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for. If reports are true that production was stopped to resolve the issues leading to backlight bleed issues, it's entirely possible that existing units in the supply chain are being fed through to retailers and all online orders are technically on hold until the production restarts. If this is true and if they resolve the issues then you should be receiving a problem free iPad 2. For the sake of a couple of weeks I know what I would rather have...

Godfather4190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
donka said:
Be careful what you wish for. If reports are true that production was stopped to resolve the issues leading to backlight bleed issues, it's entirely possible that existing units in the supply chain are being fed through to retailers and all online orders are technically on hold until the production restarts. If this is true and if they resolve the issues then you should be receiving a problem free iPad 2. For the sake of a couple of weeks I know what I would rather have...

I think anyone would rather get a problem free iPad 2, but it shouldn't come at the expense of the customers. 3-4 weeks is a long time but understandable. Adding time to that for the sake of quality is noble, but I expect the best from apple products and if it says I'm getting an iPad in 3-4 weeks I expect it to be what I ordered and spent my money on.

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why am I starting to get visions of villagers storming up a hill with pitchforks and torches towards the Apple Castle?

Most reactions