What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

COArchiTech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lifet1me said:
I diddnt read the whole post, but aint it a bad idea to use magnets for the whole device?

I mean, as far as i know magnetic fields are like poison for any computer...

The iPad has solid state memory, which is not affected by magnets.

Torria

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ThePhotog said:
My iPad 2 is black

Sent from my iPad using iPF

That's the same thing I'm using. My iPad2 is also black. I thought I was noticing like a aging affect but I told myself that it was too soon.

Sent from my iPad using iPF. Torria

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Damn I'm sooo lazy.
Love the instant on with the new cover.

This is what electronics should be all about.
Flick switch, on, flick again, off.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is like a natural tanned leather, I really like how it changing since being exposed to air.

Uhm, leather dyes generally do not "oxidize". They will change in colour because of exposure to sunlight (which breaks own colour bonds in the pigmentation, usually causing it to become darker) - but this is a process which takes months, if not years. Certainly not within the time-span that the smart cover has been around.

FrankP99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't like that the cover will fall open from its own weight when holding the iPad upside down.

Frank

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't like that the cover will fall open from its own weight when holding the iPad upside down.

Frank

It doesn't.

In fact, how do you hold your iPad upside down without holding the cover? It's nearly impossible, but the cover stays closed on mine.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scandalous

Our local WalMart had vinyl smart cover mixed up with the leather ones and I was able to get the brown leather one g
For $39.00, I'm return the black leather one purchased at BB for $69.99 tomorrow. At first I didn't like the smart cover buy now it' growing on me.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Do you they'll give me a 64 gb i2 for a 64 i1 price? It's not my fault they keep them in the same case and have the i2 prices with the i1 display? Clearly I'm not going to pay more for the older model.

On a slightly different note, do you think Apple will have any other cases for sale at the launch besides the smart cover? I am very impatient about such things LOL, and like to have something right away. I didn't use my Kindle for over a week after I got it, until I could get a cover and skin delivered.

A recent Rumor from iLaunch suggests Apple Stores will be removing all films and third party add-ons from their Stores ... No comment on this from Apple... just a rumor.

Apple doesn't mind losing a buck when they're making a million. They know they don't make enough accessories. That's why they do it to begin with. They want to give you a complete experience. That's why they try to trick you into buying 3 printers with one 13" macbook.

SweetPoison said:
I might have ordered pink too!:)

To go with your pink nails and pink handbag shoes, top, lipstick

Oh yes. So cool you would look fantasic

I forgot the hat. Whoops

Won't it just be grand when you can buy the ipad in COLORS? YAYAYYAYAYA! not gonna happen, but I would definitely get a blue one!

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having read lots of opinions, reactions, and frustrations with Apple's Smart Cover. Is is just possible Apple had some specific intentions only?

Apple wanted the following:
1. a thin protective cover over the display with EZ on/Off.
2. Could provide support of the edge for EZr typing (15 degree angle)
3. Landscape support for hands free vertical support (105 degrees) for watching movies, or viewing photos. etc.
4. user display when mirroring for group presentation.
5. Strong magnets on the cover will support the weight of the iPAD2

Owners of course want more just in case of accident drops, scratching and abrasions of the bottom.

I think you're johnny on the spot. Apple wanted a functional cover that they could show off at keynotes. It's cool, it's new (even if it has problems) They figure that third party devs will (and are) making cases similar to the iPad 1. I'm disappointed they didn't offer an additional, alternative case similar to the v1 case, alongside the smartcover. (obviously it would have to fit the 1/3 thickness reduction, but they could have easily done it.)

Well, ya know each new model needs a nice feature ... with iPad2, it's the smart cover. the support stand is more stable and provides a slick way to store it. Even quick on/off ... how, nice is that?

You mention "even if it has problems" ... I don't see any problems ... just an opportunity for other vendors.

Last edited:
OP
B

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having read lots of opinions, reactions, and frustrations with Apple's Smart Cover. Is is just possible Apple had some specific intentions only?

Apple wanted the following:
1. a thin protective cover over the display with EZ on/Off.
2. Could provide support of the edge for EZr typing (15 degree angle)
3. Landscape support for hands free vertical support (105 degrees) for watching movies, or viewing photos. etc.
4. user display when mirroring for group presentation.
5. Strong magnets on the cover will support the weight of the iPAD2

Owners of course want more just in case of accident drops, scratching and abrasions of the bottom.

I think you're johnny on the spot. Apple wanted a functional cover that they could show off at keynotes. It's cool, it's new (even if it has problems) They figure that third party devs will (and are) making cases similar to the iPad 1. I'm disappointed they didn't offer an additional, alternative case similar to the v1 case, alongside the smartcover. (obviously it would have to fit the 1/3 thickness reduction, but they could have easily done it.)

Well, ya know each new model needs a nice feature ... with iPad2, it's the smart cover. the support stand is more stable and provides a slick way to store it. Even quick on/off ... how, nice is that?

You mention "even if it has problems" ... I don't see any problems ... just an opportunity for other vendors.

I agree. It's a huge opportunity for vendors. I'm sure they're delighted that Apple's own case doesn't cover the back.....which is what a case is supposed to do. We have entire threads dedicated to the question of wether or not certain third party cases are compatible with Apple's. Essentially you either have your shiny new iPad 2 go naked, go third-party, or buy Apple's smart-case and buy a third party back.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I agree. It's a huge opportunity for vendors. I'm sure they're delighted that Apple's own case doesn't cover the back.....which is what a case is supposed to do. We have entire threads dedicated to the question of wether or not certain third party cases are compatible with Apple's. Essentially you either have your shiny new iPad 2 go naked, go third-party, or buy Apple's smart-case and buy a third party back.

I went through 3 full-cover cases on my iPad1 and was never completely satisfied with any of them. I'm glad Apple split the top and bottom covers. Now I can customize to a much finer extent.

OP
B

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see your point about customization, but how many people can justify $39.99 (or $69.99) + another $30 for a back skin. It's not something i'm willing to invest in. It's just too much--i'll stick with the smartcover and hold on to my iPad like my life depends on it, lol. One bad fall and it has "charecter" :D

Most reactions

Latest posts