What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
sorry...

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple's Smart cover for iPad2?

Having read lots of opinions, reactions, and frustrations with Apple's Smart Cover. Is it just possible Apple had some specific intentions only?

Apple wanted the following:
1. a thin protective cover over the display with EZ on/Off... this feature is so very nice.
2. Could provide support of the edge for EZr typing (15 degree angle)
3. Landscape support for hands free vertical support (105 degrees) for watching movies, or viewing photos. etc.
4. Thin and light weight in keeping with the 33% thinner and 15% less weight of iPad2
5. Strong magnets on the cover will support the weight of the iPAD2 on refrigerator, for example.

Owners of course want more just in case of accident drops, scratching and abrasions of the bottom.

Last edited:
OP
B

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having read lots of opinions, reactions, and frustrations with Apple's Smart Cover. Is is just possible Apple had some specific intentions only?

Apple wanted the following:
1. a thin protective cover over the display with EZ on/Off.
2. Could provide support of the edge for EZr typing (15 degree angle)
3. Landscape support for hands free vertical support (105 degrees) for watching movies, or viewing photos. etc.
4. user display when mirroring for group presentation.
5. Strong magnets on the cover will support the weight of the iPAD2

Owners of course want more just in case of accident drops, scratching and abrasions of the bottom.

I think you're johnny on the spot. Apple wanted a functional cover that they could show off at keynotes. It's cool, it's new (even if it has problems) They figure that third party devs will (and are) making cases similar to the iPad 1. I'm disappointed they didn't offer an additional, alternative case similar to the v1 case, alongside the smartcover. (obviously it would have to fit the 1/3 thickness reduction, but they could have easily done it.)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But you're OK with the iPad itself being made in Chinese sweatshops??

You've missed my point. To me, the smartcover, at its price, is poor value for money; the fact that it's manufactured cheaply overseas exacerbates it. I'm sure many owners who have simple requirements for a protective case love it and don't mind the price, but there are also other case designers coming out with I think will be better value in terms of cost, design and functionality.

Torria

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seriously! Really! Glue magnets to the side of a 829.00 device. Then chisel and tap lightly with a hammer! Either buy iPad2 or be happy with the still great ipad1. At this point I don't know of a whole lot that can be done with 2 that can't be done with 1. IPad1 has some really cool cases. It is what it is dude. This sounds like an ideal my 14 year old son might have.

OP
B

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
honestly that looks really cool. The magnets don't look that bad--if you're really desperate to have a smartcase on your ipad 1.....that's not a bad way to go. just be careful with the superglue, lol

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong--it's cool, but im worried about scratching the back. I also find it convenient (for apple) that my would-be choice of colors is only featured in leather ($69) vs. $39 for plastic. I'm interested to hear thoughts because as far as i've heard, everyone is in love with the cases.

cheers

I like the design, the only thing I don't like is that it is a bit slippery without the case...but it makes it lighter and sexier....big problem of course as was mentioned, the cheaper option only comes in ugly colors and black is only available in the pricier leather option...but I would probably get leather anyway.

OP
B

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong--it's cool, but im worried about scratching the back. I also find it convenient (for apple) that my would-be choice of colors is only featured in leather ($69) vs. $39 for plastic. I'm interested to hear thoughts because as far as i've heard, everyone is in love with the cases.

cheers

I like the design, the only thing I don't like is that it is a bit slippery without the case...but it makes it lighter and sexier....big problem of course as was mentioned, the cheaper option only comes in ugly colors and black is only available in the pricier leather option...but I would probably get leather anyway.

The obvious reasoning that the "kids" colors, (light blue, bright green, and....pink....) would be poly--is to force us to buy the good colors in leather. It's ridiculous. Apple could make poly in any color it wants. It disgusts me.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
totemynote said:
I wouldn't do it. Just saying.

Ditto. Gluing or taping stuff onto a $600 or an $800 device like the iPad (or any other expensive tech device) in order to achieve mediocre results is just janky.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Broseph said:
The obvious reasoning that the "kids" colors, (light blue, bright green, and....pink....) would be poly--is to force us to buy the good colors in leather. It's ridiculous. Apple could make poly in any color it wants. It disgusts me.

It's been a long time since this 54 year old grandma has been called a kid, but I ordered the pink one......because it's what I liked! Nothing to do with the price.

Most reactions

Latest posts