What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evio Harmony Case - Review

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just received a new leather case from Evio, what appears to be a new company headquartered in Southern California. Their first product is the Harmony case for the iPad 2. Apparently, they plan to market other cases and cases for other devices. If their other products live up to the quality of the Harmony case, I think they're a company to watch.

() Order and delivery. Ordered the case from their website. It was shipped the same day from Southern California and delivered four days later via USPS. That included a Sunday and a holiday. In other words, very prompt. Price is $40 with another $4+ shipping but no sales tax in Washington. The case can also be ordered from Amazon with no shipping charges if you're a Prime member but at least in Washington state, sales tax is charged.

() Quality. The case is what appears to be relatively high quality leather with an attractive "yin yang" design on the cover. Black and a sort of burgundy red. No other color choices available. Well padded without being bulky. Interior of the cover is micro-suede in black. No doubt a dust and fur magnet (in a household with animals) but very attractive. The iPad slides into the case and is secured with a leather flap folded under the iPad. Quite secure. The iPad isn't going anywhere. Stitching throughout the case is first class. No hanging threads or missed stitches.

The back of the case is black leather with the same minimal padding. Includes an embossed "evio" logo in the center. The hinge is leather, covering about 90% of the top of the iPad. Should be very durable.

All in all, very classy. Suitable for business meetings. Looks far more expensive than the $40 price and feels very good. :)

() Functionality. The case activates the sleep/wake feature of the iPad 2 and a magnet holds the cover closed. But it's not a strong magnet compared to my SmartCover. My guess is that it could be dislodged rather easily in a bag filled with other stuff.

All the essential cutouts are there, including one for the camera port. No rough edges or appearance of the cutouts being an afterthought. No problem attaching the 30 pin connector and the speaker grill is open.

All in all, the case is slightly bulkier than my SmartCover/back cover combo but there is no problem fitting it into my Waterfield Design "Travel Express" case designed for the iPad. And no problem fitting in the wide slot provided in the Origami Workstation. However, the Belkin Blade Adjust stand I use by my bedside won't quite hold the iPad with the case folded completely. Not a problem since the cover can drape over the back of the stand but that suggests the overall thickness of the iPad in the case is slightly larger than the iPad and a polycarbonate back cover.

The inside of the front cover includes a small "kickstand" which elevates the "top" of the iPad (in landscape) for watching videos or typing. Though only one position is supported, it is also less bulky than cases that provide greater flexibility in positioning the iPad. With the cover folded back there is no provision to hold it in place against the back. A thin piece of metal could be glued to the back of the case to hold the cover in place but it would certainly cheapen the overall look.

Protection. Make no mistake. This isn't a "rugged" case. Although the padded covers on the front and back should provide good protection, they don't extend beyond the corners of the iPad. Thus, I wouldn't want to drop the iPad on one of the somewhat unprotected corners.

All in all, I'm very impressed. At this early stage in its availability the Harmony case is distinctive. In comparison with other cases I've seen, I would say it compares favorably with cases at twice the price or more.

Attachments

• Evio_Harmony-iPad2_Case6.jpg
    Evio_Harmony-iPad2_Case6.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been using the Harmony more extensively in the last day, or so. I've found the kickstand could be better designed. There is a tendency for the kickstand to spring closed if the case is jostled. And if you move the case with the kickstand extended, it immediately retracts. Minor PITA unless typing on the screen is a frequent function.

Most reactions

Latest posts