What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong--it's cool, but im worried about scratching the back. I also find it convenient (for apple) that my would-be choice of colors is only featured in leather ($69) vs. $39 for plastic. I'm interested to hear thoughts because as far as i've heard, everyone is in love with the cases.

cheers

Nugga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my opinion covering the ipad in a cover is destroying a pretty awesome design.
Instead you should buy a bag for it, and then use the bag to carry it around like the bags you buy to a netbook.
Unless ofcause you want a stand for your ipad.

Myself i'm going to buy a 3'rd party bag/stand just something where i can pull out the ipad if i want to enjoy the design

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find things that I like about the cover, enough that I may get the Incase original design that inspired Apple. However, one thing I like about the original design, is that it has a back cover like a rubbery version of my Coveroo. Negative, it uses an elastic band instead of magnets to hold the cover in place.

OP
B

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my opinion covering the ipad in a cover is destroying a pretty awesome design.
Instead you should buy a bag for it, and then use the bag to carry it around like the bags you buy to a netbook.
Unless ofcause you want a stand for your ipad.

Myself i'm going to buy a 3'rd party bag/stand just something where i can pull out the ipad if i want to enjoy the design

I'm planning on carrying it in a bag anyway. There's just something unsettling to me about leaving the aluminum exposed. Anything that gets used constantly, phones, and iPods for example, are always subject to scratches.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to find a third party back cover that will work with the smartcover. Haven't seen anything yet. Tentatively I'm going to get the Zagg full body kit.

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong--it's cool, but im worried about scratching the back. I also find it convenient (for apple) that my would-be choice of colors is only featured in leather ($69) vs. $39 for plastic. I'm interested to hear thoughts because as far as i've heard, everyone is in love with the cases.

cheers
You are not alone. To me, the case makes or breaks the usability of a tablet and the Apple case for the v1 iPad was perfect for my needs. It turned the iPad from a device I had to baby and worry about to a functional tool for business, home and sharing content.

Aside from protecting the screen and the back of the device, it provided quick access to use, shock absorption when setting down on a hard (or less than pristine table/counter), and made it easier to hold/use than without a case. I am even able to clip on my Boxwave stylus to have it available wherever I go.

I'm also not up for thick cases or a separate sleeves/pieces I have to worry about stowing somewhere when I just want to flip the cover open and use the tablet as-is.

I'll be looking for an alternative case if there isn't an iPad 2 version of the v1 Apple case.

elgerber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to find a third party back cover that will work with the smartcover. Haven't seen anything yet. Tentatively I'm going to get the Zagg full body kit.

Hello, this is my first post, and I will be buying my first Ipad on Friday. I was thinking of getting the Zagg full body also. Do you think the magnets on the smart cover will still attach over the skin? This is what I was hoping for.

If not, I may be back to square one.

Bananahands

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the new case in theory but I have two problems with it.
First: I know most apple products are over priced but come on, $49 or $69 for a flap of material with a few magnets inside???
Second: Am I the only one that's noticed the micro-fiber underside which supposedly "buffs" the glass while its closed is the same side that comes in contact with the surface on which you lay the Ipad? Whether just flipped open or folded back for use as a stand, its potentially picking up any dirt or debris on the surface (not that I would put it down on obviously dirty surfaces). So then you close it to protect and "buff" the glass and the dirt is rubbing up against the glass. This is a major design flaw.

That said, I will not be buying the cover. I will, however, be buying an Ipad 2. This has been my first post, and am very excited to buy my first Ipad!

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like it. Tablets are already big (unlike my Kindle that I keep in a case) so I'd rather use them without a case.

I don't care that much about scratching the back. I figure if I'm careful with it and put it in a neoprene sleeve (with smartcover over the screen) when I'm putting it in my briefcase etc. it should be fine.

Though I did have the same worry about the cloth side of the case that touches the screen picking up things. But I haven't had much issue with that with my Kindle case and I often have it folded over and sit it down with the clothe side that touches the screen on a table etc.

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally don't like the new covers and that is the main reason I'm not upgrading to the iPad 2...I got my Saddleback cover and the new design wouldn't fit in the case...I usually use cases to cover my iPhones or iPads because though I love the look I do like keeping them pristine incase I need to possibly sell them to upgrade if I need/want too...

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I like the cover but I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place with it. That's because I like to have a grip case ("shell", if you want to call it that) on the iPad like I have now, which gives it a nice grip and looks nice (I have the MacAlly clear Flexitpad case, which I compared closely with the clear Belkin GripVue but found this one to be a bit better). With that, it wouldn't be possible to attach the magnetic cover unless because the grip case wraps around the edge of the case and about 1/16" onto the bezel. Perhaps, I could cut out part of the grip case to accommodate the magnetic contact points?

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd wait to see it in person before making any decisions. (Accessories are important decisions.)

Most reactions

Latest posts