What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Broseph said:
The obvious reasoning that the "kids" colors, (light blue, bright green, and....pink....) would be poly--is to force us to buy the good colors in leather. It's ridiculous. Apple could make poly in any color it wants. It disgusts me.

It's been a long time since this 54 year old grandma has been called a kid, but I ordered the pink one......because it's what I liked! Nothing to do with the price.

I might have ordered pink too!:)

OP
B

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Broseph said:
The obvious reasoning that the "kids" colors, (light blue, bright green, and....pink....) would be poly--is to force us to buy the good colors in leather. It's ridiculous. Apple could make poly in any color it wants. It disgusts me.

It's been a long time since this 54 year old grandma has been called a kid, but I ordered the pink one......because it's what I liked! Nothing to do with the price.

My apologies :) My point was that the more muted, less flashy colors are only available in leather when they should be made available in poly as well. I hope you enjoy your pink case--it's not a bad choice by any means.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But you're OK with the iPad itself being made in Chinese sweatshops??

You've missed my point. To me, the smartcover, at its price, is poor value for money; the fact that it's manufactured cheaply overseas exacerbates it. I'm sure many owners who have simple requirements for a protective case love it and don't mind the price, but there are also other case designers coming out with I think will be better value in terms of cost, design and functionality.

But my point is why pick on Apple's Smart Case? Most every electronic device or accesory you buy is cheaply manufactured overseas. That's why they're made overseas. A product's price has little to do with the cost of manufacturing and everything to do with what the market will bear. My local Apple Store is sold out of leather smart cases, enough said. No one's forced to buy anything they don't want.

Torria

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Broseph said:

I totally agree. Apple already knows that the professionals will head for the more corporate friendly colors which only come in leather. I couldn't imagine myself going into a meeting with a bright orange smart cover. However when I was apart of the younger set I was very attracted to bright pink and white. It is also more appropriately priced at 39.00 for that population to obtain. That's not to say that the older crowd couldn't enjoy the bright colors also. Even though would not take the orange to a business meeting I probably would use it or any of the other colors on a Saturday afternoon to accessorize an outfit.

Sent from my iPad using iPF. Torria

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The thread that wouldn't die....it's like the energizer bunny. ;)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But my point is why pick on Apple's Smart Case? Most every electronic device or accesory you buy is cheaply manufactured overseas. That's why they're made overseas. A product's price has little to do with the cost of manufacturing and everything to do with what the market will bear.

But then, I don't buy accessories which are cheaply made overseas and resold at a vast markup. I have two iPad cases, one from Oberon Design and another from Treegloo, both of which are small design studios and their items are hand-made/customized to order in the US itself. These are not cheaply made nor are they cheaply sold - well, the Treegloo was quite a reasonable price although Oberon has always been a premium product - but when you look at the materials and craftsmanship, you know you are getting value for money.

I've always felt (and I've said this before on other threads) that third-party mass vendors like Belkin, Targus, etc, make crazy profits because they will design and make a product cheaply overseas, add some flashy packaging and push the product aggressively with marketing, and of course charge as high as they dare. The Apple smartcover falls into that category of "made cheap, sold dearly", so of course it's fair criticism.

More than once I've seen a particular product being sold under their brand at a markup, and then finding a very similar-looking product on Fleabay from a no-name Chinese-based vendor at a fraction of the price. (For all I know, it's the same factory selling the same product, just without the "brand".)

droid2mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me I want something to protect the back and sides. When I set it down on a table I don't want to always think about being careful. I will be using it all over the house, including the garage. So whatever I set it on I want the back protected.

Torria

iPF Noob
Reaction score
guys no worries! In a couple of weeks the market will be flooded with all kinds of cases. In every color, fabric, material, with or without magnets in several different price points. I'm only to sure that they are already in production.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Torria said:
guys no worries! In a couple of weeks the market will be flooded with all kinds of cases. In every color, fabric, material, with or without magnets in several different price points. I'm only to sure that they are already in production.

I was at an Apple Store today exchanging my iPad for light leakage and they didn't have any third party cases/covers at all yet. I was kind of surprised, I'd thought they would at least have one or two already. But your right, there will be a million choices very soon.

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really like the light brown leather smart cover. I like how it's starting to age.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Torria

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ThePhotog said:
I really like the light brown leather smart cover. I like how it's starting to age.

What color iPad do you have?

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is like a natural tanned leather, I really like how it changing since being exposed to air.

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score

In my opinion thats also another huge advantage the Ipad has over the competition, there are tons of accessories/cases to choose from.

I saw one case I kind of liked, but they say it won't be out until July which is way too long to wait.

Most reactions

Latest posts