What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airport Screening

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i been to big apple and back a couple of times and the only time i ever had to take it out was in the layover city and it was more of just a quick look at the time...along with the last time i flew up to seattle out of modesto it was basically leave it in the bag and scan it with everything in the bag ..

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you believe that the smoke and mirror show the TSA does is in any way real security, you are sorely mistaken.

Having a little inside info of my local airport and I guarantee you I could easily access the secure areas. Not that I would, because the Homeland Security people ARE good at arresting people, as opposed to being worthless at protecting people.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you believe that the smoke and mirror show the TSA does is in any way real security, you are sorely mistaken.

Having a little inside info of my local airport and I guarantee you I could easily access the secure areas. Not that I would, because the Homeland Security people ARE good at arresting people, as opposed to being worthless at protecting people.

so true so true.. i sit and watch people as basic from years as a mp and other forms of law enforcement ..so i really do watch goes on around me and at times i sit and wonder what fuction does the TSA really does provide us in the long run ..i ran have a couple of woman up there asking question than some of the tsa people .

a couple of months ago i flew back east did not have a problem going back to the big apple ..but on the way back i had a layover and a change of planes to get back home.. now i shave my head so in my little carry on i have two forms of shaveing gels one for the face which in small travel can and one for the head which it in a small travel tube labeled ..the guy who did the seach could not understand why i had two types of shaveing gel and we where waiting for his boss to come i am standing there thinking if can tell one is for the head di-----t- then you need to get better training..he went through things and pulling them out to be displayed on the table

so the boss comes up and looks at the gel and looks and me and tells me to go and have a nice trip .. as iam walking away i hear the comment when you shave your head it matters what brand of shaveing cream is used he told the guy .. the boss also had a shaved head ..

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i sit and wonder what fuction does the TSA really does provide us in the long run ..

I can answer that - it's a placebo, the TSA gives people the illusion of security and even though most know that it is only an illusion we live on the belief that when something does go wrong, we are sure it will happen to someone else, not us.

We also know that true security would require two things, an extensive investment that would in the end raise the cost of air travel and include the forfeiture of all personal rights and privacy. So we accept the system, flawed as it is, for the way it is.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When we designed our checkpoint friendly carbon fiber cases I spent a great deal of time going throught the TSA guidelines for designers. The main thing (at least for laptops), they need a complete unobstructed x-ray of the laptop. I.E, no metal covering any part of the electronics being viewed.

www.mach3composites.com

With that being said,, how in the heck does a MakBook Pro get through the x-ray???????? These things are encased in a complete aluminium shell. :confused::confused::confused:

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
X-rays will penetrate ALL metals but one: Pb = Lead.

depends on the x-ray exposure type. i'm really not sure, so dont hold me to it, but i believe airport x-rays use a very low exposure and dont think these are the type to penetrate light metals such as aluminum.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, the first few flights I took my iPad out like a laptop. This last weekend I left it in it's little netbook bag and the lady asked me if I had a e-reader in my bag. I said no, and iPad, she asked is that an e-reader or a computer. I said 'both'. She said all computers need to be out of the bag to go through security. I didn't argue any further. This was in Minneapolis. The return from Orlando I just took it out again like a laptop.

I'm sure we'll be required to remove them all the time once they become more common, they've always said that laptops and other larger electronic devices should be removed and scanned separately.

Gabi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is helpful as I will be flying soon. Thanks, guys.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I will probably just keep mine out so I don't hinder the line at screening.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
I just get irritated that the head of the TSA and the official TSA blog both said do not take them out. But on the ground we are told to take them out. Atlanta TSA when I asked about why they wanted me to take out a kindle in a TSA approved computer bag, and noting that TSA in Chicago told me not to take it out, said, "well if we all did the same thing the terrorists would be able to find out our methods and figure out how to sneak stuff in". But that is the point of policy, if you know what to expect you can move the line along and they know what to look for.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah they are very inconsistent. For example...in EVERY airport (and I travel 50k+ miles a year for work) except Madison, WI they have no issue with me putting my shoes in my backpack when going through security as opposed to on the belt or in a bin.

Clearly the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Most reactions