What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airport security question

zen2go

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When going through airport security, do you have to pull out your iPad and put it in a separate bin like you do your laptop? Or can you just throw it on top of other things like you do your phone?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just come from a holiday in the US. It is only laptops that have to be removed from cases. I just put mine still in its case on top of other things. Even left it in my bag, not a problem

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the U.S., the TSA put out guidance that iPads don't need to be removed from carry-ons, but it still allows individual airports and inspectors discretion. I don't remove mine, but travel often and have been asked to remove an iPad two or three times.

Sometimes they appear to want to do a spot check; sometimes travelers have stuff packed so that it's hard to tell on X-ray what you've got, like when there are layers of electronics on top of each other. (Like traveling with a couple of iPads laid against each other, which I've done.)

In other countries where I don't know the policy, I just ask before I remove anything.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I travel frequently with an iPad and a laptop in a sleeve, both in a Waterfield Cargo Case. I pull the laptop in its sleeve and put it in a separate bin. I don't remove the iPad. Have never been asked to do so. Though as the poster above notes, individual inspectors have discretion to ask that everything be removed.

fre_ber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At Zurich airport I was asked to put my iPad in a separate bin and when I asked about it, the staff said that an iPad was classified as a laptop. If that was her own classification or the general one for Zurich airport, I do not know.

OP
zen2go

zen2go

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just went through security at DFW with the Pad inside my backpack.

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have not had to remove my iPad from my briefcase at LAX, SFO, or Dulles, but it was the only electronic item in the bag. YMMV

Never, never, never give up -- Winston Churchill

Most reactions

Latest posts