What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

airport security ok?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
hi guys

going on a plane trip for a few days tomorrow.

i'd love to take my ipad2 along in my hand luggage, but i've heard the odd nightmare over the last couple of years about ipad's that get completely wiped of all info when they pass through airport security measures, ie, the xray and magnetic machines.

what's the gig on this? anyone travel with their's regular as hand luggage without (or with?) issues? i've never hand any problems with my Touch before.

thanks. i'm just kinda concerned :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hi guys

going on a plane trip for a few days tomorrow.

i'd love to take my ipad2 along in my hand luggage, but i've heard the odd nightmare over the last couple of years about ipad's that get completely wiped of all info when they pass through airport security measures, ie, the xray and magnetic machines.

what's the gig on this? anyone travel with their's regular as hand luggage without (or with?) issues? i've never hand any problems with my Touch before.

thanks. i'm just kinda concerned :)

I went on a trip in May and carried on my iPad, iPod, nook and phone. All which was turned completely off. I had no issues with it during this trip and other trips.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've gone through many airports domestic and international with iDevices in hand luggage and have never had probs. I've read about the rare instances OP mentioned, and don't worry about them. If I did, I'd just turn off my devices while going through security. But I don't. I've gone through repeatedly with iPads, iPhones, iPods and other electronics.

lindy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just came back from Portugal, my iPad went in the security tray on it's own and it was fine. Linda

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
lindy123 said:
I just came back from Portugal, my iPad went in the security tray on it's own and it was fine. Linda

I took my iPad, iPhone and iPod with me on my recent trip to Chicago and had no problems at all with airport security affecting my devices.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, all,
Just got back from abroad. No problems with iPad which I carried as hand luggage. I, too have heard of tales of woe re. going through security etc. but haven't met anyone personally who has had a bad experience. Also for a number of years, I have travelled through security at airports with my mobile which has never been affected. I have always believed that if there was a problem then all devices such as mobiles, laptops, iPods and iPads etc. would be similarly affected.
Apologies to anyone who has experienced a 'total wipeout' so to speak, probably they could also let us know their experiences.
Cheers.

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
thanks guys. put my mind at rest :)

i'd normally take my aged 1st gen Touch (slow as **** these days. might treat myself to a latest gen at Christmas), but most of my life is on the ipad, so i'd really miss it dreadfully if i didnt have it.

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
I am travelling by air like twice a month, mostly intercontinental flights.
WITH my i-Devices (iPhone and -Pad2) -I never switch them off when passing security and I never had any problems with it.

I would take such "reports" as envy for the devices ;-)

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

Most reactions

Latest posts