What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad2 and iPad3 on 5.1.1 With Absinthe 2.0

GeorgePad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have iPad 3,3 with IOS 5.1 (9B176), when i run Absinthe, i get a notification that says "Sorry, the attached device is not supported"
By the replies in here, i see guys that jailbreak the same device successfully, what can be my problem ?

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have iPad 3,3 with IOS 5.1 (9B176), when i run Absinthe, i get a notification that says "Sorry, the attached device is not supported"
By the replies in here, i see guys that jailbreak the same device successfully, what can be my problem ?

You need to have iOS 5.1.1 installed on that iPad3. That is the only iOS version that can be jail broken on the iPad3.

Upgrade to iOS 5.1.1, either over-the-air or via iTunes. Then, Absinthe should work fine. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

GeorgePad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to have iOS 5.1.1 installed on that iPad3. That is the only iOS version that can be jail broken on the iPad3.

Upgrade to iOS 5.1.1, either over-the-air or via iTunes. Then, Absinthe should work fine. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

I updated the iOS through iTunes to the latest iOS 5.1.1 (9B206) and the jailbreak works just perfect!

Thanks Mickey =)

chia43a

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
This tool works on the iPad1 also. It was poor headline writing on my part to not include the iPad1.

You should be able to follow these instruction and jail break your iPad1 with no problems. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Marilyn

P.S. I've edited the first post to emphasize the fact that Absinthe 2.0 works on the iPad1. Thanks for asking the question and so making me aware ...

Dear Marilyn,

I had jail broken my iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1. using Absinthe 2.0.4. So far so good. I have yet to notice any difference with my iPad jail broken while on iOS 5.0.1.

chia43a

mha1703

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Just out of curiosity, may I ask what is the difference between iPad 3,1 3,2 and 3,3?
What does that signifies?
I have just got a new iPad few days ago and from Linpack I found out that it is 3,1

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi

Just out of curiosity, may I ask what is the difference between iPad 3,1 3,2 and 3,3?
What does that signifies?
I have just got a new iPad few days ago and from Linpack I found out that it is 3,1

They are the 3 hardware models available.

wifi only, wifi+CDMA & GSM/LTE cellular, wifi+GSM/LTE cellular

snowbound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreak button greyed out

I downloaded Absinthe 2.0.4 for Windowws. I backed up my iPad2 WiFi w 5.1.1 only (orig) via iTunes. I restored it to factor condition. Absinthe went through uncompressing its files. The iPad is plugged into the USB port of my Win7 x64 machine. When I ran the absinthe exe the Jailbreak button is greyed out i.e. I can not click it! I have iTunes 10.6.3 installed.

I fixed it by going into an XP install in VMWare player, installed iTunes and asbinthe. Made sure that Vmware player had the iPad enabled in USB devices.

Last edited:

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do I have to do a restore for a JB iPod Touch 4g iOS 5.0.1 before I upgrade and JB on 5.1.1?

reahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1million said:
Do I have to do a restore for a JB iPod Touch 4g iOS 5.0.1 before I upgrade and JB on 5.1.1?

A restore will update the iPod Touch to 5.1.1

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know. But is it required for the iPod Touch 4g like it is for the iPad2?

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your iPod has to be on iOS 5.1.1 in order for you to jail break it with Absinthe.

You can elect to update the iOS to 5.1.1 or restore it. Your choice. Just know that people have had more success with using Absinthe to jail break if the iDevice is as close to empty/new as is possible. That's why the restore is recommended.

But, you won't harm anything if you upgrade the iOS and then try the jail break. At worst, you'd have to restore and start from scratch. At best, it will succeed perfectly.

Regardless, before you do either, may I suggest you do a backup first.

Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

reahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1million said:
I know. But is it required for the iPod Touch 4g like it is for the iPad2?

Since the ipod is jb. You should restore and jailbreak.

Most reactions

Latest posts