What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad2 and iPad3 on 5.1.1 With Absinthe 2.0

vivekh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought my first ever iPad - the iPad 3 Wi-Fi - last week and I was a little skeptical about jailbreaking it. After a lot of careful consideration and tons of research (including going through every post of this tutorial thread), I finally gave in and applied the greenpois0n JB.

I must say, it was one of the simplest things I've ever done. Probably easier than setting up the iPad! The iPad runs as brilliantly as ever, and feels smoother than ever ;)

What I did:
  • Backed up the iPad with iTunes
  • Reset all data to remove all apps
  • Connected to the laptop (Win 7) and click 'Jailbreak' on greenpois0n
And Voila! less than 10 minutes later, I have a jailbroken iPad 3,1. Couldn't get simpler than this.

Just like to say thanks to everyone for their inputs and assistance here! Keep it up - you make life easier for us n00bs!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought my first ever iPad - the iPad 3 Wi-Fi - last week and I was a little skeptical about jailbreaking it. After a lot of careful consideration and tons of research (including going through every post of this tutorial thread), I finally gave in and applied the greenpois0n JB.

I must say, it was one of the simplest things I've ever done. Probably easier than setting up the iPad! The iPad runs as brilliantly as ever, and feels smoother than ever ;)

Just like to say thanks to everyone for their inputs and assistance here! Keep it up - you make life easier for us n00bs!

Good job vivekh. Hope you enjoy your newly jailbroken device. You know where we are if you have any questions.

maic81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just finished jailbreak my first iPad (ipad3 Wifi) I'm new to apple products. One of the main reason I decided to jailbreak was to able to use themes. When I open Cydia and search for dreamboard I can't find it. And if go to themes and click on winter board It said that "cannot locate package". Is it something wrong with my jailbreak? Or cydia?

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just finished jailbreak my first iPad (ipad3 Wifi) I'm new to apple products. One of the main reason I decided to jailbreak was to able to use themes. When I open Cydia and search for dreamboard I can't find it. And if go to themes and click on winter board It said that "cannot locate package". Is it something wrong with my jailbreak? Or cydia?

I'm sorry, but I can't duplicate your problem - both Dreamboard and Winterboard appear when I do a search for them via the Search tab.

The only thing I can think of is that you need to allow time for Cydia to load all the packages. It takes a while to load them on the first visit to Cydia. Then, Cydia also reloads them every subsequent visit. If you don't wait for them to load, or stop the load, the links back to the packages won't work and you will get the "cannot locate package" error. So, let Cydia finish loading and then those tweaks will be there.

You'll know Cydia is loading the packages because you'll see a spinning status wheel and some text. Wait for it to go away (the status bar will slide back up). See this picture for what I mean:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342529557.511831.jpg

If Cydia doesn't start loading packages when you first open it, there is a "Refresh" button on the changes tab. Pressing that will initiate the loading feature.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

maic81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Marilyn, this morning I opened cydia and it did load everything. I was able to find the themes. Thanks again!

racrx451

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello. tried to jailbreak my ipad 2 but it said Error: can not detect lockdownd or something like that. tried to rejailbreak and it said it was already jailbroken.... waiting for it to sync so we shall see what it says when I open it up...

update: cydia is installed and working so it must have worked?

Last edited:

NielNiel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Marilyn, this morning I opened cydia and it did load everything. I was able to find the themes. Thanks again!

Sometimes cydia sources must be busy. Try it another time, work mostly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AZsteelman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Huh - started down the jb path, but after about 15 minutes, i get an error that absinthe has stopped working and to click this button to close the program. I did and then started it again. Absinthe starts up and sees that I've attempted to JB the device before and goes thru a couple of steps to fix it. I then unplug it and plug it in (as directed) and start the JB again...3 times now, same result. I'm trying a restore on the iPad and then will run it again...any other suggestions?

AZsteelman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, doing the JB from a clean restore point evidently was the trick. I should have done that first - did it on my iPhone and it was like lightning....all done, JB'd in less than 5 minutes!

lisitrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello i have IPAD 3 IOS 5.1.1 (9b206) model MD328LL can i jailbroke ? Thank you

britpoper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All.
I follow the instruction on readme file from absinthe2.0.4 package and Marlyn Guide here to Jailbreak my iPad2 3G+WiFi.
The problem is after I extract the zip folder and getting into the created folder, I can't run absinthe.exe.
I always get the following error message : "YOU MUST RUN THIS APP AS ADMINISTRATOR"

Strange, my account is Administrator. The I try with "RIGHT CLICK" and choose "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" but I still get the same error message.
So, I continue with my usual troubleshooting when problems like the appear, I set the compatibility properties for Absinthe.exe to “Windows XP (Service Pack 2)” and “Run this program as an administrator”. But when I retry opening Absinthe, it still got the same error message. I even try with all my firewall and Antivirus disabled/turned off, but I still can't run Absinthe.
With all combination possible it just can't running. I use Windows Vista SP2.

I know the easy solution is trying with another laptop/PC, but it's just irritate me that Absinthe won't run on my laptop. Not to mention, I kind of reluctant borrowing other laptop/PC for jailbreaking purpose.
Did anyone ever had the same problem with me?? And how to resolve it??

DaEbLe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My one and only possible piece of advise is whether or not you tried to re download absinthe in certain programs a small glitch in the download can manifest in the permissions

Sent from my iPad using iPF

inef

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did the above but now every time when my ipad needs to upload its battery, all these jailbreak apps disappear. What to do to fix this pls.

Most reactions

Latest posts