What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad2 and iPad3 on 5.1.1 With Absinthe 2.0

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
***UPDATE*** As of 30 May 2012, Absinthe 2.0.4 now supports ALL versions of the iPad. With this new release, the iPad2,4 can be jail broken. Hurray!

These are instructions on performing an untethered jailbreak of your iPad on iOS 5.1.1 using Absinthe 2.0 for Windows.

This process works on the following iPads:

iPad1,1 – 2,1 – 2,2 – 2,3 – 3,1 – 3,2 – 3,3

iPhone2,1 – 3,1 – 3,3 – 4,1

iPod3,1 – 4,1

(Support for iPad2,4 will be added at a later date)

NOTE: This tool also works on Mac and Linux computers - simply download the proper tool for your system.

***Warning*** Before you continue make sure to do a backup of your device in iTunes as you may lose your Camera Roll during this process.

***Warning*** If your iPad2 is already jail broken, it is HIGHLY recommended you restore your iPad2 to stock iOS 5.1.1 using the DFU Mode and iTunes to restore (instructions here: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=52863). Do NOT follow the ReadMe.txt instructions from the Dev Team to "go to Settings - General - Reset - Erase All Content and Settings" as this should never be done on a jail broken iPad.

Step One
Download the latest version of Absinthe from here: Absinthe 2.0 has arrived! | greenpois0n.com. As of this writing, the tool is version 2.0.1.

Step Two
Extract the downloaded archive

Step Three
Double click the absinthe-win-2.0.exe file from the folder that was just extracted. Note: For ease of use, run .exe files as an Administrator, either by default or by right clicking and selecting "run as Administrator"

This will create a new folder called absinthe-win-2.0. Note that in this photo, I put the .exe file on my desktop, then did step three

Photo1.png

Open the newly created folder and launch absinthe.exe.

Photo2.png

Step Four
As prompted, connect your iPad to the computer via USB. Make sure to remove any passcodes or VPN settings you've previously set. Click the Jailbreak button to begin

Photo3.png

Step Five
The application will take you through several steps to jailbreak, to include beginning jailbreak … sending initial jailbreak data … sending final jailbreak data … waiting for reboot … and waiting for process to complete. Have patience and hang in there!

Step Six
You will be informed that the jailbreak is "Done"

Photo4.png

Step Seven
In a few moments you will notice Cydia appear on your Springboard! Press it and Cydia will load. At this first launch, Cydia has to prepare the file system - and then it will close automatically. This is normal behavior.

Photo5.png

Step Eight
If you restored your iPad to a fresh iOS, connect your iPad to iTunes and right click to select "restore from backup." This will not affect your jail break or your iOS 5.1.1, it is just to put all your "stuff" back on the iPad.

Step Nine
Enjoy your new jailbreak!

Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

Marilyn

Last edited:

reahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when i jailbroke my iPod Touch 4G, after cydia prepared the filesystem, it resprung. then, half of my stock apps were gone. do u think it was just an error? i restored and i will try to jb again.

sandybelgrano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great tutorial, Thank you!!! Just a little missing thing. At the beginning of the tutorial, in the second Warning (if your iPad2 is already jail broken...), you recommend to restore it to stock iOS 5.1.1 and put "(Instructions here: )", you forgot to put the link to the instructions, it would be really good to have that link at hand instead of having to search it all over the forum.

And one question (sorry, I'm really newbie on Apple world): I didn't know that there was that much iPod 2s (you named 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4), I've heard about 2.4 but what are all the others about? I've bought mine on february (it came with iOS 5.0.1) it's the 16Gb, only WiFi one, so, what version of iPad 2 do I have, where I can find it out?

Thanks again, congratulations for your GREAT tutorial.

Cheers

Sandro S. Eriakian

Last edited:

rushmore69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 64GB iPad 3 and only 1.8GB free and have a lot of apps and comics filling this space. A few questions, based on my not wanting to have to restore all of this again, unless no choice.

1. Can I jailbreak as is and not clean data? A restore will take a long time. Especially with all the comics.

2. About how long will the process take if I leave everything on the pad when jailbreaking?

My logic is if it will not hurt to try and it does not work, I will then clean data and restore.

Last edited:

scudder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rushmore, no-one can answer that BUT I did the JB on my iPad 3 4G without a clean iOS and left all my stuff on there, it went perfectly and no problems afterward. I would give it a go but make sure you have a recent back up, just in case.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great tutorial, Thank you!!! Just a little missing thing. At the beginning of the tutorial, in the second Warning (if your iPad2 is already jail broken...), you recommend to restore it to stock iOS 5.1.1 and put "(Instructions here: )", you forgot to put the link to the instructions, it would be really good to have that link at hand instead of having to search it all over the forum.

Oh, bless your heart! Thanks for noticing that I forgot the link. My bad. I've now put it in. Appreciate the heads up...

And one question (sorry, I'm really newbie on Apple world): I didn't know that there was that much iPod 2s (you named 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4), I've heard about 2.4 but what are all the others about? I've bought mine on february (it came with iOS 5.0.1) it's the 16Gb, only WiFi one, so, what version of iPad 2 do I have, where I can find it out?

To find out what version of iPad you have, download the free app from the App Store called "Linpack." When you first open it, you'll get something like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk X1338049393.804124.jpg

The part I circled is the identifier for your particular iPad.

Given that you got yours before March 16th, the odds are pretty good that your iPad is good to go. But, since it costs nothing to check, give it a whirl.

Good luck on the jail break and thanks again for the edit tip.

Marilyn

Last edited:
OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 64GB iPad 3 and only 1.8GB free and have a lot of apps and comics filling this space. A few questions, based on my not wanting to have to restore all of this again, unless no choice.

1. Can I jailbreak as is and not clean data? A restore will take a long time. Especially with all the comics.

2. About how long will the process take if I leave everything on the pad when jailbreaking?

My logic is if it will not hurt to try and it does not work, I will then clean data and restore.

As scudder pointed out - can't hurt to try. Others have successfully jail broken the iPad without "cleaning" it up first. I have no time estimate, however, because I did mine from a fresh restore...

All you have to lose is a bit of time should it not work because you'll have to start from the beginning with a clean restore. Again, just make sure you have a good backup before you start any of the process.

But, hey, if it works - time saved! :)

Do us a favor, though? If it does work (or not), could you come back and let us know? May help others in making the same decision. Thanks.

Good luck.

Marilyn

pintelho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Winterboard themes, graviboard and many other stuff doesnt work in my ipad 3...Is this normal and is gonna be fixed soon? Please someone know?

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Winterboard themes, graviboard and many other stuff doesnt work in my ipad 3...Is this normal and is gonna be fixed soon? Please someone know?

Just know that this jailbreak is a first for iOS 5.1.1. And, it's a first for the iPad3, which we are discovering is a bit different "under the hood" because of the retina display (at least).

If a tweak doesn't work properly, the odds are because it needs to be updated to run on iOS 5.1.1 or the iPad3. That updating needs to be done by the developer and we never know when (or if) and upgrade will be released. All you can do is wait. This includes tweaks like Winerboard, which aids in the theming of the iPad. The new retina iPad has different files, to include file names because of the retina capabilities. I'd venture to say that it will be quite a while before any theme is available for the iPad3. Heck, the ones for the iPad1 and iPad2 are pretty thin on the ground, let alone the retina iPad!

Long story a bit longer - we all need to have a bit of patience while the developers work to upgrade their various tweak. Hang in there.

Marilyn

pintelho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Just know that this jailbreak is a first for iOS 5.1.1. And, it's a first for the iPad3, which we are discovering is a bit different "under the hood" because of the retina display (at least).

If a tweak doesn't work properly, the odds are because it needs to be updated to run on iOS 5.1.1 or the iPad3. That updating needs to be done by the developer and we never know when (or if) and upgrade will be released. All you can do is wait. This includes tweaks like Winerboard, which aids in the theming of the iPad. The new retina iPad has different files, to include file names because of the retina capabilities. I'd venture to say that it will be quite a while before any theme is available for the iPad3. Heck, the ones for the iPad1 and iPad2 are pretty thin on the ground, let alone the retina iPad!

Long story a bit longer - we all need to have a bit of patience while the developers work to upgrade their various tweak. Hang in there.

Marilyn

Thanks man

chia43a

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is is correct to say that Absinthe 2.0 is not suitable to jailbreak iOS 1.1 on iPad 1? It is only meant for jail breaking iOS 5.1.1 on iPad 2 and 3. If so , what is the jailbreak tool
For ios 5.1.1 on iPad 1 or is it still not out yet?

Thank you.

chia43a

chia43a

iPF Noob
Reaction score
chia43a said:
Is is correct to say that Absinthe 2.0 is not suitable to jailbreak iOS 1.1 on iPad 1? It is only meant for jail breaking iOS 5.1.1 on iPad 2 and 3. If so , what is the jailbreak tool

Thank you.

chia43a

Sorry, iOS on first line should read ios 5.1.1 on iPad 1 and not iOS 1.1 on iPad 1.

chia43a

shaftpolls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great !! It works on my iPad 3.

However, several applications don't work... maybe due to iOS 5.1

One of those is MAME4iOS... what a pitty..

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Thank you.

chia43a

This tool works on the iPad1 also. It was poor headline writing on my part to not include the iPad1.

You should be able to follow these instruction and jail break your iPad1 with no problems. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Marilyn

P.S. I've edited the first post to emphasize the fact that Absinthe 2.0 works on the iPad1. Thanks for asking the question and so making me aware ...

babylon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Can some one help me with some instructions how to jailbreak my Ipad 3 5.1(9B176) when i try to jailbreak with absinthe 2.0.2 it says device not supported :-(((

Most reactions

Latest posts