What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad2 and iPad3 on 5.1.1 With Absinthe 2.0

WildSpirit99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi there..

i just downloaded Absinthe 2.0.4 (windows), but there is problem detecting my iPad 3 ..

it's 5.1.1 and i reset all the contents and settings to start a fresh jailbreak, but still not detecting the device !!

what is the problem??

please i need you help..

i just bought it today...

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you initialized the iPad3 yet? Does [the newest version of] iTunes "see" the iPad? Do you HAVE the newest version of iTunes (given that you say the iPad is new, maybe you don't have iTunes on your computer yet)? If yes, then try to disconnect the iPad and reconnect.

Let us know if any of this helps.

Marilyn

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
The best thing I can recommend is to go back to the very beginning and start again. Install a fresh, stock iOS 5.1.1 on your iPad. Do not put your backup on, restore from new. Then, jail break the iPad using the latest Absinthe software.

Sorry to not be of better help.

Marilyn

Well I did as suggested and still no jailbreak. It gets stuck at the waiting for reboot stage. It never reboots. I would rather be jailbroken on 5.0.1 than be not JB on 5.1.1

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I did as suggested and still no jailbreak. It gets stuck at the waiting for reboot stage. It never reboots. I would rather be jailbroken on 5.0.1 than be not JB on 5.1.1

My next (and really only remaining) suggestion is to try another computer? You don't have to use the one that has the iTunes to which your iPad is normally synced; but it does have to have iTunes loaded. Then, all you will need is the Absinthe downloaded and ran, as your backup is on your "regular" computer.

Because I'm honestly out of ideas and can't think of anything else, especially if you've turned off all anti-virus or firewall stuff (do you even has such things on a Mac?).

Sorry.

Marilyn

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I jail broke my iPad 3,1, and I have cydia, and Absynthe says everything went ok, but everything is missing from my sources except for 1 source. Nothing in BigBoss, ZodTTD or ModMyI. Someone help me?

EDIT:: Tried erasing and re-adding the sources, and when I type them in exactly as they were listed, I get a popup error saying I am probably adding legacy installers, or need to type in the exacturl.

Last edited:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yakuzagang5 said:
I jail broke my iPad 3,1, and I have cydia, and Absynthe says everything went ok, but everything is missing from my sources except for 1 source. Nothing in BigBoss, ZodTTD or ModMyI. Someone help me?

EDIT:: Tried erasing and re-adding the sources, and when I type them in exactly as they were listed, I get a popup error saying I am probably adding legacy installers, or need to type in the exacturl.

You realize that Internet servers have outages sometimes. Did you just retry to refresh multiple times over several hours? Have you tried pinging the source urls from the same wireless network your iPad is on?

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, sometimes Cydia's servers get overloaded and the best action is to try again. One tip, however, is to go to Cydia and be on the Changes tab. In the upper left corner is the Refresh button. Press that and then wait - while doing nothing else (in Cydia or on the iPad). Allow the servers to update your iPad's account and packages. This may take a bit of time but have patience.

Once all the packages have loaded (and you've seen no error notices), then everything should be god to go; you'll be able to browse and search Cydia with all the packages showing. Again, the key is to hang in there with patience. Have to have time to work/load...

Good luck.

Marilyn

Edit to add: And you don't need to mess with the default sources. That's a good way to get your repos and lists all messed up - and it's very much NOT recommended. Again, just hit the Refresh button and wait. It will load up the repos and such, but it's very dependent on your Internet speed and the amount of demand on Cydia's server(s).

Last edited:

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm JB on 5.0.1 on my iPad2. Is there any advantage of having 5.1.1 JB? Does 5.1.1 over any new/good features that 5.0.1 doesn't have?

snelson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have just joined and am making my first post, perhaps prematurely as I haven't read all previous posts yet.

I spent several days trying to JB my ipad2,2 with ios5.1.1 using Absinthe 2.0.4 on my iMacG5 (PPC) under OSX 10.5.8. No luck. It would always fail near end (after reboot and Waiting for process to complete) Hmmm...there seems to be a problem.

Today I tried with a Mac-mini (Intel) using OSX 10.5.8. JB completed just fine. So ...

Absinthe requires an Intel Mac, although it will run on PPC it will not work. This should be explicitly stated on the greenpois0n site, but isn't.

Repeat, Absinthe requires an Intel Mac! redsn0w also requires an Intel Mac (won't run on PPC even).

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
snelson said:
Hi everyone! I have just joined and am making my first post, perhaps prematurely as I haven't read all previous posts yet.

I spent several days trying to JB my ipad2,2 with ios5.1.1 using Absinthe 2.0.4 on my iMacG5 (PPC) under OSX 10.5.8. No luck. It would always fail near end (after reboot and Waiting for process to complete) Hmmm...there seems to be a problem.

Today I tried with a Mac-mini (Intel) using OSX 10.5.8. JB completed just fine. So ...

Absinthe requires an Intel Mac, although it will run on PPC it will not work. This should be explicitly stated on the greenpois0n site, but isn't.

Repeat, Absinthe requires an Intel Mac! redsn0w also requires an Intel Mac (won't run on PPC even).

I have been trying unsuccessfully to JB my iPad 2,1 using Absinthe 2.0.4 and a MacBook intel duo core OSX 10.7.2. The process stalls at "waiting for reboot". I'm still in jail.

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whenever I would click reload it didn't do anything. Normally it sits at "Packages: Done" forever, but it just flashes the black bar and seems to show that it's done reloading.

And yes, I'm not stupid, I know servers go down, but it's been giving me the same response each of the last 20+ times I've tried at all hours of the day the last two days.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yakuzagang5 said:
Whenever I would click reload it didn't do anything. Normally it sits at "Packages: Done" forever, but it just flashes the black bar and seems to show that it's done reloading.

And yes, I'm not stupid, I know servers go down, but it's been giving me the same response each of the last 20+ times I've tried at all hours of the day the last two days.

You need to check your Internet connectivity. It has to be a problem of getting to the servers to load the packages. If you are on a company network they may have prevented that at the firewall.

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm at my home wifi, which didnt have any trouble with my fiancées iPhone 4... Idk, it's just extremely annoying lol cause now I have to restore and do it again... This'll be the fourth time lol not to mention all the times it tried to jailbreak but ended up failing lol

Sithin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just jail broke my ipad 3,3. I didn't clear my data first ( i don't have a lot of apps or media), i did however back it up in itunes in case. Used 2.0.4 on windows and it didn't even take 5 minutes.

txteevee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.filmandmediaent.com
Uggghh. I just successfully jail broke my ipad2 and cydia did not install? I tried to go back and run absinthe again and it told my my device was already jail broken. No cydia notice ever showed up for me. Do I need to go download it?

I am running iTunes from a windows7 pc. I am clueless as to why I don't see the cydia store.

Most reactions

Latest posts