What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To read edited pdfs

applejelly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

In class, I usually type my notes directly onto PDF files and use that to study. I know on Android applications, I can read the added texts, but I cannot do it on the iPad. I am a new iPad user and I am aware of the limitations, but are there any apps (preferably free, but I'm willing to pay) that will allow me to read the edited pdf files? I have been trying to search for one, but still found none.

Thank you :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For some reason PDF annotation doesn't seem to work uniformly from app to app. I have not idea why. The only way to be sure that two apps are compatible is to give them a try.

But that assumes that the PDF reader you are using can display annotations. Most simple readers, like iBooks, will not show annotations. You need an app that does annotations to read them, usually.

The free Adobe Reader app also supports annotations, and may be all you need.

If you want more powerful apps, there are many. I use GoodReader and PDF Expert. Each has it's own strong points. GoodReader has the better file management tools and will display more file types. PDF Expert has more PDF editing tools, and I like the annotation tools better. iAnnotate is popular with a lot of other members here, especially with the college student crowd; you may want to read over the description on the App Store.

If you have a sample file (not too big, no personal data, and not copyrighted) with the kinds of annotations you want to see, share it here and I'll be happy to see how it works in the apps I own. Other members might do the same.

If nothing else works, there is another option. Most PDF annotation apps will let you flatten a PDF when exporting. This makes most annotation part of the basic PDF, visible but not editable. Notes that don't show up unless you select them will probably get dropped. Pretty much any PDF reader should display a flat PDF the same.

You'll need to make two more posts before you can upload or post a shared link (if you choose to do so); so take a look around the community and join a conversation or two. You may even decide to stick round. It's a good bunch of people.

OP
A

applejelly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Adobe Reader works nicely!! Thank you so much. I didn't expect it to work so I never gave it a try when I should've.

Thank you for your offer though. I greatly appreciate it :eek:

I don't know much about apps and especially ipad but I am planning on sticking around, hopefully to learn more.

And thank you for being so nice.

Most reactions

Latest posts