What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NEW iPad? What the heck is the name?

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm so surprised that Apple has not named the iPad with a model number or name other then new iPad?! I think this will create a ton of confusion down the road with accessories, updates, etc. Am I the only one that thinks this?

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm so surprised that Apple has not named the iPad with a model number or name other then new iPad?! I think this will create a ton of confusion down the road with accessories, updates, etc. Am I the only one that thinks this?

I agree. It's a third generation product. But the new is just "The New iPad" -- makes no sense ;(

@ndr3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That new apple logo looks like its a mix of apple and microsoft windows! or is it just me?

OP
iDan

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if a new ipad case will fit an old ipad or only a new ipad? lol

Will accessories from the original iPad/ 2 fit "The New iPad"?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
I don't mind the name. We all know it is the iPad 3 and can call it that when speaking about it. It is the 3rd Gen iPad or Gen-3 iPad, or simply the iPad 3. :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This falls in line with their mainstream computer lines......a MacBook Air is a MacBook Air, whichever version you have.....I don't think that there is a huge amount of confusion so hopefully iPads will be the same.

It does seem strange though to have the iPad with the older spec being the iPad 2.......

The Archangel

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Moving away from numbers could be partly to do with future upgrades. Even Apple must be wondering just how they can improve on this one. There is a serious danger that perceived disappointment could affect sales.

Now if this time next year the press announcement is simply, for example "Apple adds (insert your wishlist here) to iPad", it will probably be received better than "New New iPad leaves customers wondering what the difference is."

The tablet market is settling down, tablets have become mainstream and Apple can afford to proceed with the brand in the same way as the MBA and the iMac. What's the betting the iPhone 5 gets released as "The iPhone"?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For any time you need to explain which iPad, you just have to do like with the iPods and tell them which generation. For example I have the 2nd and 6th generation iPod Nano.

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This falls in line with their mainstream computer lines......a MacBook Air is a MacBook Air, whichever version you have.....I don't think that there is a huge amount of confusion so hopefully iPads will be the same.

It does seem strange though to have the iPad with the older spec being the iPad 2.......

The Archangel

For any time you need to explain which iPad, you just have to do like with the iPods and tell them which generation. For example I have the 2nd and 6th generation iPod Nano.

Bingo!

Mystro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think Cnet thought the official name is "iPod 2012". Lets be honest, I think every one is really gonna call it the "iPod 3".

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is different considering the last version was ipad 2 however as Seadog said iPod is a iPod regardless of what version you have I guess we keep the name on the forum iPad 3 but that in it self may be confusing lol.

Gayle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally, I don't care what they call it but if you right click on the pics on Apple's site, it is referred to as iPad 2012.

Most reactions

Latest posts