What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at a new Ipad-need help

Zoom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am confused, I now own a Ipad Air maybe 1 or maybe 2 , I am not sure but the model Number in the back is A 1474.
I am looking at getting a new ipad and passing this one on to my daughter but I looked at the apple website and it seems to me the newest ipad ( not counting the Pro) is just called Ipad and seems to my recollection has gone down in price.

What am I missing here? Have they really lowered the price or is this new Ipad not as good as the one I have. I have not been keeping up and am now confused....:confused:

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The new iPad will certainly be an improvement on the older iPad models. It is more powerful and heavier than the iPad Air 2, its height and screen size are the same as the original iPad Air, and its design is also nearly the same as the first Air tablet. And yes, Apple has lowered the price.

OP
Z

Zoom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new iPad will certainly be an improvement on the older iPad models. It is more powerful and heavier than the iPad Air 2, its height and screen size are the same as the original iPad Air, and its design is also nearly the same as the first Air tablet. And yes, Apple has lowered the price.
Thank you Jupiter for your reply.
I have since checked and I do have the IPAD Air 1
So you are saying the newest one will be better that this one I have . I read that it has a lamenated display and anti reflecting coating which I think is not on my IPAD 1 but I am not sure what that really does.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The new iPad does not have a laminated screen, but it does have a retina screen, which is a great improvement over the non retina screen. It has a new processor.

OP
Z

Zoom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only difference between your current iPad and the newest version is a speed bump , Touch ID , and lack of mute switch. The laminate display is only on the air 2 , mini 4 and pro series.
Thank you Brian,
What do you mean by no mute switch.do you always have to have sound.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This iPad seems to be mostly about creating a cheaper, more easily repaired model for entry level users and the education market. We probably won't see any real improvements in speed or features until they release the new Pro models. No telling when that will be, but there is some hope WWDC in June will at least announce something, if not release it.

It's another indication that Apple intends to split the iPads up like it has the laptops, into entry and pro models. The entry modles will be targeted at people who want a cheaper iPad for web browsing, content consumption, and casual gaming, among other things. The pro models will be for people who want to use the iPad for more serious work, content creation, or just a better gaming experience. Not so much about being a professional, as wanting more hardware features and power.

So if you are looking for a serious upgrade in power this year, you probaby want an iPad Pro. Either the current one (if you can't wait) or whatever comes out later this year (hopefully).

Then again, the new iPad is a decent, if not dramatic, bump from the iPad Air 1. Not a bad upgrade for the price.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No I mean the physical switch on the side. You can still turn the volume down all the way and lock the rotation in the software settings

As well as in the Control Center. Just flick up from the bottom of the screen for a handy collection of settings toggles.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This iPad seems to be mostly about creating a cheaper, more easily repaired model for entry level users and the education market. We probably won't see any real improvements in speed or features until they release the new Pro models. No telling when that will be, but there is some hope WWDC in June will at least announce something, if not release it.

It's another indication that Apple intends to split the iPads up like it has the laptops, into entry and pro models. The entry modles will be targeted at people who want a cheaper iPad for web browsing, content consumption, and casual gaming, among other things. The pro models will be for people who want to use the iPad for more serious work, content creation, or just a better gaming experience. Not so much about being a professional, as wanting more hardware features and power.

So if you are looking for a serious upgrade in power this year, you probaby want an iPad Pro. Either the current one (if you can't wait) or whatever comes out later this year (hopefully).

Then again, the new iPad is a decent, if not dramatic, bump from the iPad Air 1. Not a bad upgrade for the price.
You are right. My next iPad will be one of the Pro's plus the Pencil!

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If the new iPad had been available a few months ago (when I bought an iPad Air 2) I would have bought one.
You're better off with the Air 2. It's thinner, lighter has a superior display. Yes it might be "slower" than the newest version but you likely wouldn't notice in day to day use. The only advantage the new 2017 iPad has IMHO is that it is cheaper to repair the screen.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What is so special about the air 2? I have a mini 2 and I think the specs are very similar to the air if I'm not mistaken.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Air 2 came out a year after the iPad mini 2, is faster, has a different (better) chipset, scratch-resistant display, a fingerprint sensor, 2 GB of RAM, a better camera...

Most reactions