What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NEW iPad? What the heck is the name?

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not giving it a version number is incredibly stupid in my opinion.

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New customers will also think the iPad 2 is newer. Not that I plan on getting a newer iPad, but every year that goes by will cause mass confusion as to what version someone is talking about.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From my understanding the only apple products that are numbered are the iPhone and iPad am I right?

So apple may seem like they are moving in a different direction, maybe Tim Cook wants to show he is no Steve Jobs.

Can be good but confusing

xGary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wth am I supposed to do years later when I'm selling this back? "Selling the new iPad"? Or "Selling the old the new iPad"?

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
xGary said:
Wth am I supposed to do years later when I'm selling this back? "Selling the new iPad"? Or "Selling the old the new iPad"?
Selling the 3rd Generation iPad (hope this helps)

McTablet_T2C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably as mentioned before. They don't want to get to iPad 6 7 8 and so on. So dropping the number will be like the iPods, where an iPod is an iPod with different generation. Maybe people will eventually refer top iPad 2 as iPad 2nd generation

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think this one will officially be called "The New iPad" and the one that comes out next will be known as "The Newer iPad".... :)

AirPlayit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Imagine calling apple support...
- Hi, I have a problem with my new ipad.
- Can you tell me which model ipad you have please?
- I just told you, I have a new ipad!
- yes, but...
:)

Interesting. The Retina Display, 5MP iSight camera, 4G LTE, etc. are really attractive. The name is not very important for me. We could still call it the new iPad when the next new iPad after this new. lol

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
They are just falling in line with their other products.

You don't say I have an iPod Touch 7, or an iMac 9, or a Mac Mini 6.

apple upgrades each model each year with what ever they can pull off for the same amount of money. Once they get into hight numbers it would just start sounding silly. (iPad 15, iPad 22...)

I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 5 is called the new "iPhone".

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My order confirmation page in the Apple online store calls it iPad(3rd generation).

kaka222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AirPlayit said:
Interesting. The Retina Display, 5MP iSight camera, 4G LTE, etc. are really attractive. The name is not very important for me. We could still call it the new iPad when the next new iPad after this new. lol

Well they will just go by serial no so you don't have to say anything.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once Apple releases the sixth generation iPhone, they can't call it the iPhone 5 because it's incorrect. And even if they did, it would weird once the iPhone is at its 16th generation. That's why the iPad 3 is called just "iPad". (sorry for my grammar).

Sent from K48

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's caused me some confusion poking around and looking at different preorders/presales and most people seem to be catching on and adding (3rd generation) to the heading or search keywords. Still it's going to be kind of weird going from a number system to an unwritten generation system. I'm surprised they didn't call this a 2s or something because the upgrades are similar to what they gave the iPhone 4S (retina display, better camera, faster processor) only on the iPad scale. It won't bother me as much once everyone is on the same page.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once Apple releases the sixth generation iPhone, they can't call it the iPhone 5 because it's incorrect. And even if they did, it would weird once the iPhone is at its 16th generation. That's why the iPad 3 is called just "iPad". (sorry for my grammar).

Sent from K48

This fall will be the release of the 5th generation iPhone not the 6th. Common misconception. Apple follows a very strict set of rules for the iPhone. Only a CPU/GPU upgrade causes a generational number upgrade. The iPhone 4S was the 4th generation. In fact the internal hardware is referenced as the iPhone 4,1 in all versions of iOS currently supported.

Most reactions

Latest posts