What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NEW iPad? What the heck is the name?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I find this topic pretty funny. iMac, iPod Touch, iPod Nano... None of these have numbers after them and yet all of them have multiple generations and not a single complaint even when the iPod Nano went thru 3 major hardware redesigns. The iPhone and iPad are the last hold outs for numbering and I am very glad to see them finally drop it in favor of every single other product Apple sales.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't care about naming, except for convenience when ordering accessories online. I had a video iPod that was between generations and had stupid naming, so it was a pain searching for accessories. Just name each model something usable so I can search for stuff. That's all I ask.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plan on calling it MY new iPad, and take great solice in knowing that Apple has made the media giants look like fools again.:p

Slimseven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True, it's only a name but c'mon, we had iPad 18 months ago. Mr Jobs would never ok a silly name like this. It absolutely will cause confusion. I call it ipad3. I will call it ipad3 when I'm in an apple store or buying accessories online.
Keep in mind that the Genius is gone. The guy that had the nac is gone. He had the nac , he had the Mac he had what it takes to create and sustain a Mega idea company like he did for so long. What you have there now are very much good people in every way. But make no mistake, things could get shottie . Odd names, odd moves made... Huge $ surplus will sustain them through possible problems but when I see the new boss or company executives leak / announce a possible 7" mini pad while the phenomenon has widely stated only recently ( may he r I p ) that a mini tablet will not fill a knitch or bring in the mega business he looked for in all his products, I have to think there is stubborn , " just watch me " , egotistical personalities that will only tarnish the long running business miracle we knw as Apple. Steve Jobs's Apple. I hope I'm way wrong about these early signs of foolishness. It's not a given that Cook will carry Apple into its next 8 or 9 mega products. Theres only one or two Steve Jobs types every couple of centuries...Personally Cook or his flunkies are IMO already making questionable decisions.

Last edited:

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
True, it's only a name but c'mon, we ad iPad 18 months ago. Mr Jobs would never ok a silly name like this. It absolutely will cause confusion. I call it ipad3. I will call it ipad3 when I'm in an apple store or buying accessories online.
Keep in mind that the Genius is gone. The guy that had the nac is gone. He had the nac , he had the Mac he ad what it takes to create and sustain a Mega idea company like he did for so long. What you have there now are very much good people in every way. But make no mistake, things could get shottie . Odd names, odd moves made... Huge $ surplus will sustain them through possible problems but when I see the new boss or company executives leak / announce a possible 7" mini pad while the phenomenon has widely stated only recently ( may he r I p ) that a mini tablet will not fill a knitch or bring in the mega business he looked for in all his products, I have to think there is stubborn , " just watch me " , egotistical personalities that will only tarnish the long running business miracle we knw as Apple. Steve Jobs's Apple. I hope I'm way wrong about these early signs of foolishness. It's not a given that Cook will carry Apple into its next 8 or 9 mega products. Only one or two MAYBE , SJ types every 2 or 3 hundred years or so. Personally Cook is IMO already making questionable decisions.

OK, you seriously need to step back and think about what you are typing. Here is why:

Steve Jobs named the following projects not only BEFORE his death but some of them YEARS before his death:
1) iPod
2) iPod Touch
3) iPod NANO
4) iMac
5) MacBook Air
6) iPod Shuffle
7) Mac Mini
8) Mac Pro
9) MacBook Pro
10) Apple TV

Not ONE of those products named by Steve Jobs himself have a number after them. They all however have year or generational identifiers.

It is time for your rant to end. It is neither productive nor well informed. And to be blunt, it is rather boring.

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I think it should be the iPad HD, as it update the display to retina display.And with better resolution, better camera, I think I would turn to the 3-rd gen iPad, and sell the first gen iPad .
Hope the apps such as I got before are compatible to the New iPad well...

Moderation Notice:​ This post has been edited by the iPadForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules No External Links

Last edited by a moderator:

kaka222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I don't care about naming, except for convenience when ordering accessories online. I had a video iPod that was between generations and had stupid naming, so it was a pain searching for accessories. Just name each model something usable so I can search for stuff. That's all I ask.

I agree with you, I was looking for cases for ipad 3 or whatever, there is different names on ebay like ipad 3g, new ipad, it is headache to find it

Pagliacci

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like that they have dropped the numbering system as it brings it line with most other Apple products. Identification is easy as you just use the model number or year of manufacture. You can easily find the model number for an iPad by going to settings/general/about. This also helps in identifying the exact model of iPad as there are 6 in the range. I am writing this on an orgional iPad early 2010 model number MB292X

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iRager said:
Selling the 3rd Generation iPad (hope this helps)

That's also how it is listed on Apple's iPad Accessories page. Only iPad 2 is designated with a #.
image-4258061830.jpg

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Exactly. Significant Improvements will be much less common from here on out. Refreshes are really all we can expect. Upgrade now. Then stick.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jawa6306 said:
It's caused me some confusion poking around and looking at different preorders/presales and most people seem to be catching on and adding (3rd generation) to the heading or search keywords. Still it's going to be kind of weird going from a number system to an unwritten generation system. I'm surprised they didn't call this a 2s or something because the upgrades are similar to what they gave the iPhone 4S (retina display, better camera, faster processor) only on the iPad scale. It won't bother me as much once everyone is on the same page.

Didn't the iPhone 4 have retina display?

Most reactions

Latest posts