What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solved Text Selecting in Remote Desktop Apps

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have asked in several threads about how to select text on a remote computer from variou remote desktop apps. Some of the RDP apps have copy, paste clipboard capabilities, but I couldn't figure out how to select specific lines of text, which made the whole clipboard feature pointless to me.

The solution works on windows xp and probably other versions as well. Just click START -> RUN and type OSK (that's short for On Screen Keyboard). That will bring up the 'accessibility' keyboard where you can click ini your text, click shift on the OSK then click the endpoint of your selection. That will highlight a block of text. You can also use CTRL-C and such shortcuts for copy and paste even if your RDP software doesn't have clipboard functionality.

Alternatively, in some windows versions, you may be able to activate the Tablet PC pen input keyboard that will do the same thing.

This is probably obvious to many of you, but I have been beating my head against the wall for a while trying to figure out how to do this. I frequently need to remote in, alter SQL scripts, copy and paste together a few and run them. Now I can do it all on the iPad!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Or you can just quickly tap and hold then drag your finger, thats what I do at least.

tap and hold on the screen it like clicking and holding the mouse button. This is also used for dragging items and selecting multiple items on the desktop.

OP
P

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hmmm... I'll try that again, but I have never been able to get that to work.

EDIT: OK, tried that technique again with no success. I have only tried 2 RDP clients so far. RDP Lite tap and hold doesnt change modes, dragging always moves you around trhe screen. On WinAdmin, tap and hold gives you the right-click menu option, which is really handy, but doesnt put you in a select mode. What client do you use that lets you tap-hold to select?

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

EDIT: OK, tried that technique again with no success. I have only tried 2 RDP clients so far. RDP Lite tap and hold doesnt change modes, dragging always moves you around trhe screen. On WinAdmin, tap and hold gives you the right-click menu option, which is really handy, but doesnt put you in a select mode. What client do you use that lets you tap-hold to select?

on winadmin, press and hold is for right click
tap and hold is for dragging and selecting as if your holding the left mouse button.

You must tap once (press and release on the screen) then press down and hold your finger on the screen to drag/highlight. almost as if your performing a double click but your hold your finger on the screen on the second click.

OP
P

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score

on winadmin, press and hold is for right click
tap and hold is for dragging and selecting as if your holding the left mouse button.

You must tap once (press and release on the screen) then press down and hold your finger on the screen to drag/highlight. almost as if your performing a double click but your hold your finger on the screen on the second click.
Oh, I see. I had to try a few times to get the timing right, but I got it to work! Its still good to know the On Screen Keyboard is there too for function keys and arrow keys.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts