What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Desktop

Premium1337

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought an iPad 64GB and am starting to create a list of apps and download them so all I have to do is sync it up when I get it in the mail next week! :)

I'm curious as to your views on the different remote desktop apps and which one you prefer the most. Remote desktop is an important feature for me so I'm able to access my computers documents on the go. Essentially what I am planning to do is have remote desktop so whenever there is a file on my computer I need, I just login and paste that file in my "Dropbox" and then I can log off and have it on my iPad wherever I have Wi-Fi.

With what I'll probably be using the remote desktop for, I could go with a extremely simple and cheap one (I'm assuming), but the cost isn't a problem and I'm looking to get the most efficient and best preforming one.

Opinions? Ideas? GO!

-Premium1337

iKarnt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.adapt.com.au
I'm in the same boat, but I have been digging around the web and the app store finding possible solutions.
At this stage I think I'm going to go with "desktop connect" by Antecea Inc. This app will allow me to admin my servers and it's cost is under $20.
I have drop box, but what if you wanted a file that you didn't drag into the drop box? Or what if your drop box is full? Well file browser will do the job at $4.
Ztools is great for checking out your network connectivty etc, so armed with these three plus teamviwer free as a backup option I think we have it all sorted.

Does anyone feel there is a better remote desktop app than "desktop connect"?
I need to work on all windows types (xp, 7, servers, macs)

OP
P

Premium1337

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, but I have been digging around the web and the app store finding possible solutions.
At this stage I think I'm going to go with "desktop connect" by Antecea Inc. This app will allow me to admin my servers and it's cost is under $20.
I have drop box, but what if you wanted a file that you didn't drag into the drop box? Or what if your drop box is full? Well file browser will do the job at $4.
Ztools is great for checking out your network connectivty etc, so armed with these three plus teamviwer free as a backup option I think we have it all sorted.

Does anyone feel there is a better remote desktop app than "desktop connect"?
I need to work on all windows types (xp, 7, servers, macs)

I'm only using DropBox for my documents and PDF's I need. So, if the day comes when I have 2GB's of documents... I think it's time to give my life a good thought about how much time is spent typing and reading documents! :D

Does zTools allow you to wake a computer from sleep/login screen over Wi-Fi?! :confused:

Another syncing storage device I'm looking at is ZumoDrive / ZumoCast... not sure if I'd ever really put it too use. I have 600GB's in video files alone and I fathom the iPad being able to stream movie files from a computer on a different network over an app with excellent quality...

-Premium1337

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are really only two serious remote desktop viewers in my opinion. You have Screens and iTeleport. Both of these apps deserve 5 stars (I use both), but there are two major differences. Screens is drop dead gorgeous and could have been designed by apple, teleport is nothing to scoff at, but comes sans flare. However, teleport uses some special desktop magic to allow for remote access without fiddling with ports so if you want to be farther away that your kitchen and connect like a breeze , teleport is top dog

TexSis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using Splashtop, too. Instant success when I installed it. Also, like iTeleport.Is Splashtop is great for games on my iMac.

Jdaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know a lot of people don't like it, but LogMeIn works well as a remote desktop app. As for file transfers I recently switched from Homepipe to Tonido as like it MUCH better - faster file transfers and can batch transfer. Lastly, you mentioned Zumocast; i have used that as well as Air Video and much prefer Air Video for watching .avi files remotely. Hope it helps.

OP
P

Premium1337

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know a lot of people don't like it, but LogMeIn works well as a remote desktop app. As for file transfers I recently switched from Homepipe to Tonido as like it MUCH better - faster file transfers and can batch transfer. Lastly, you mentioned Zumocast; i have used that as well as Air Video and much prefer Air Video for watching .avi files remotely. Hope it helps.

How slow is the streaming rate for .avi files when accessing them remotely? I'll give them all a shot eventually when I get my iPad in the mail tomorrow! :)

Jdaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score

How slow is the streaming rate for .avi files when accessing them remotely? I'll give them all a shot eventually when I get my iPad in the mail tomorrow! :)

They are pretty fluid when on the same network. For remote applications I get a few buffering pauses but not unwatchable. Air Video also allows for on the fly conversion directly to the iPad

OP
P

Premium1337

iPF Noob
Reaction score

They are pretty fluid when on the same network. For remote applications I get a few buffering pauses but not unwatchable. Air Video also allows for on the fly conversion directly to the iPad

It looks like it also allows for downloads too? So looks like if I'm on another network I can just download it. Then again, the upload rate at my home network would be put to use and the download at another would be too...so not sure how well that would work.

Most reactions

Latest posts