What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchasing with early firmware...

Phawkes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you do happen to get one post back about where you got it from (best buy, etc).

And it has to be connected to iTunes before you can get into the settings sadly.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have not seen any post on this forum with someone saying they bought an iPad with 4.3.4 or 4.3.5(new that is), its always...hey i accidentally updated to 4.3.5, how can i downgrade to 4.3.3, because i wanna jailbreak.

if someone that recently bought an iPad 2 with 4.3.3 on this forum can confirm a batch number, and you can try a match and see. Apple store might be a gamble, but best buy should be good.

after my 85% stint, i did mention in a later post that apple might be a gamble, and that best buy or another retailer should be around that 85%, but hey, i am in Canada, most likely to have 4.3.3 for sure, unless return shipping to apple is free.

OP
guthrien

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Drumroll please......

4.3.3. It's all beautiful and jailbroken through jailbreakme. You talk about a few tense hours of anticipation...

Thank you all very much for the handholding. It got me psyched enough to duck out of work for an hour and buy the damn thing. Was it worth it with iOS 5 around the corner and now needing to sell another iPad etc? Hell yes. Barring a malfunction with the device the iPad is fundamentally better with jailbreak. It's better than anything else on the market vanilla ( as I've learned through experience) but it's a whole new machine with the enhancements.

So let this be a beacon to others who were in the bad boat I was. Don't give up. Go now. Don't go Apple store. And ask for the box that is in the back haha. That parts crapshoot, but remember, 4.3.4 and 5 were recent quick stopgaps. The iPad retail channel has just now gotten to near normal and still every Walmart in my town was picked clean of that model. Go Best Buy would be my advice, they have leveraged for huge amounts of stock obviously with their tablet push.

I have some more questions about safeguarding this iPad, but I have to finish the sync!

OP
guthrien

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! So..saving a firmware to rescue myself again is a bust. Tiny umbrella found blobs for 4.3.5 and 3 versions of iOS 5 betas. Yikes.

Rushh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, there is no way you can get your blobs for 4.3.3 (ipad2) now..!
Just make sure you don't install anything incompatible (in short not tried and tested by others) , otherwise you should be good to go!

OP
guthrien

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It made me nervous restoring most my apps and tweaks from a PKGBackup, but so far so good. I can't tell you how often I used gestures the last few weeks without result.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok so you got an iPad 2 on 4.3.3, so today i am gonna drop from 85% to 84%...

i test tweaks on my iPad 1 first, then do it for iPad 2, and i have my blobs saved.

OP
guthrien

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats a nice idea about the testing. I guess I'll just have to play it safe and hope for the best until the inevitable iOS 5 jailbreak :) because I won't be upgrading by choice without it.

I agree, my purchase burned 1% haha. Someone else go get lucky. Anyone interested in lightly used 4.3.5 version instead?! I'm going to have the only non-scam listing on my local craigslist soon. I was shopping for an early firmware on there first and every single iPad I asked about sent me a link to a "site with great deals" in Russia or Hong Kong.

Phawkes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So did you get yours from best buy? I just might give it another go. If you did get it from there, what is the return policy like? I don't want to be stuck with it incase it comes with 4.3.5.

OP
guthrien

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, bestbuy. There was no restocking fee and a 14 day grace period. Couple small rules about repayment methods. I think my odds were also better buying top of the line.

Most reactions

Latest posts