What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchasing with early firmware...

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I couldn't find a discussion about this and it might be frivolous, if so I apologize.

Is there any rule or generalization about how fast retail reflects new firmwares? I was thinking of picking up a new iPad 2 at BestBuy tomorrow with hopes the firmware would be 4.3.3. Is that a useless hope? The iPad sells fast and I'm not sure what the lag is between the source and retail.

Any insight or experience is appreciated.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For sure there are certainly older versions of the firmware available but the difficulty is in identifying that the iPad you're about to purchase has such a firmware version. I don't think anyone knows of a sure way of being able to do this. It would be a big risk.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's very precise - how did you work that out? I know, when I bought my iPad1, they were switched to iOS 4.2 and the box design changed then, so I could choose and purchased the, then, more recent version of iOS.

Tim

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
guthrien said:
I couldn't find a discussion about this and it might be frivolous, if so I apologize.

Is there any rule or generalization about how fast retail reflects new firmwares? I was thinking of picking up a new iPad 2 at BestBuy tomorrow with hopes the firmware would be 4.3.3. Is that a useless hope? The iPad sells fast and I'm not sure what the lag is between the source and retail.

Any insight or experience is appreciated.

Do they charge a restocking fee for iPads? If not, just buy it and check it out. If they do charge a restocking fee, maybe it's worth asking them to see what firmware is installed on it.

OP
guthrien

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't imagine they would let me check due to having to start it with pc, but I suppose there is no harm in gambling. I don't think Best Buy or Walmart have a restocking fee, though my local Walmarts are sold out.

I love the 85% figure haha, but then I would love that to be right. I understand there is no rock solid method. I suppose I'm looking for assurance that it's not impossible.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No it is definitely not impossible. 4.3.3 was in mass production for a while so there is a chance, but every day it diminishes.

dfweyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the 85% chance as well....

I checked with Best Buy and there is not a restocking fee, probably a good turnaround on iPads there. Maybe some eBay hoarder has a nice backlog of early July production iPad 2's

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There most definitely is an eBay hoarder (no, not me), but the problem is that he will know how important 4.3.3 is so he'll probably charge a lot more than usual.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have not seen any post on this forum with someone saying they bought an iPad with 4.3.4 or 4.3.5(new that is), its always...hey i accidentally updated to 4.3.5, how can i downgrade to 4.3.3, because i wanna jailbreak.

if someone that recently bought an iPad 2 with 4.3.3 on this forum can confirm a batch number, and you can try a match and see. Apple store might be a gamble, but best buy should be good.

OP
guthrien

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, keep your fingers crossed. I bought a 64gb 3G AT&T model, so let's hope those aren't the first to go. It was in the 'warehouse' there, so it's at least a hope. Unfortunately, I work midnights and my workplace doesn't have iTunes so I won't be able to check until morning unless anyone knows a way around it.

iTunes isn't going to try some crafty firmware update when I register it without my say so correct?

I will be reporting back!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just be careful when you first sync it to your computer. If it is indeed still running 4.3.3, iTunes will come up with a notice to tell you that there is an update available and do you want it.

Just make sure you click the correct box to say that you don't. And also, may I suggest you do as I did - check the little box that tells iTunes to never ask to do an update again ... no sense tempting fate! :)

Good luck - I'll keep my fingers crossed it has 4.3.3.

Marilyn

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i think when i got the iPad 2, i could just turn it on and check without syncing to a computer(iTunes), settings, general, about....

Phawkes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just purchased an iPad last night and it indeed came with 4.3.5 so I returned it. I was told by one of the geniuses that they shipped the 4.3.3 iPads back. Not sure how true it is but it made me not want to risk trying again. He said all of them come with the new firmware now so I can't say your chances are 85% but doesn't hurt to try with no restocking fee. Hope you have better luck than I had...

OP
guthrien

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to admit, I would not have tried it at Apple store as they are bound to be more anal about what version is being sold. Still, I think 85% is wildly optimistic given the time frame. I'm sorry to hear that, and though I can return it without a loss, this will be my one and only roll of the dice.

You can get to settings without pairing it? Anyone else confirm, I'll make my way to it if so haha.

Most reactions