What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with you completely. Until a product is finalized, we really can't say much, because things can be very fluid. So I will neither confirm nor deny any design elements until done.

But just to make sure I understand you, what you are asking is possibly a gen 1.5 with incremental improvements that maintain current "size" for iPad 1? We could definitely consider it if the interest is there. Feel free to let me know your thoughts here.

Thanks

Rokr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zagg,

Thank you so much for taking my posts with professionalism. What you stated is PRECISELY what I'm looking for. A 1.5 gen zaggmate would be such a gift since the existing one is ALMOST what I need. I just can't justify having to by a 2nd gen ipad for a new and improved zaggmate, see what I'm saying?
I use the iPad as my college 'laptop' and the slight issues just make using it for typing a slower process than what I need. Just the slight tweaks to the design/materials would make the zaggmate everything it should be, in my opinion. If the few changes mentioned before were made, I can absolutely guarantee that I would repurchase a zaggmate.

One other question though, on my previous zaggmate, the little plastic 'tent' that props up the ipad in the back folds flush with the rubber padding that touches the screen, thus it also touches the screen and is a harder plastic. Any scratching issues that you've heard of?

Thanks for your feedback!

So far, zagg, your company is of a stellar quality that actually seems to listen to its customers and makes every available effort to ensure their loyalty. It's quite refreshing to see this sort of business model.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That plastic piece is not supposed to touch the glass it sits about 1 mm below the screen. I've seen a case where it didn't fit perfectly and we had to replace it. Apperently, that's what was happening with yours. That's not normal.

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I echo Rokr's comments about Zagg's customer service and particularly the way you respond to feedback Zagg. I would also like to see a development of the current product as I think a really good product could be turned into a superb one. And don't forget there is a huge user-base out there of iPad 1 users.

What I would like to see: Cut-out's for the volume switch, speaker and headphone jack (I know strength). the recess where the iPad slots in is just not quite wide enough to take my boxwave stylus when the ipad is shut into the Zagg. I have a feeling that, over time, the grip of the rubber on the iPad will reduce, so some sort of lipping mechanism would be an improvement. Finally, I would be prepared to accept just a tad more bulk and cost for a higher thickness of aluminium (not pronounced aluminum my American friends :)) with bevelled edges like the iPad.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i need help pairing mine! if I turn on bluetooth then turn on the Zaggmate its fine, how is everybody leaving theres on then pairing them??

cheers

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
addiosamigo said:
i need help pairing mine! if I turn on bluetooth then turn on the Zaggmate its fine, how is everybody leaving theres on then pairing them??

cheers

I leave bluetooth on all the time anyway because I use an Apple bluetooth keyboard in the office. So mine just pairs as soon as I turn the Zagg on. Every time, simples :)

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
addiosamigo said:

cheers

I leave bluetooth on all the time anyway because I use an Apple bluetooth keyboard in the office. So mine just pairs as soon as I turn the Zagg on. Every time, simples :)

what about the other way round? because it must affect battery life?? so keyboard on all the time (but in sleep) and then turn on bluetooth on ipad?

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
addiosamigo - I have not had issues with battery life with either piece.

The keyboard goes to sleep if not being used after a certain amount of time. If you leave the iPad's BT on, and the keyboard falls asleep, just hit the "Home" button (or any, really) and the keyboard will repair automatically.

If the iPad is asleep and the keyboard is asleep, hit a button on the keyboard, wait a second, then hit it again. I always just the Home/ESC button on the keyboard, but that is just me. Works every time.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ditto for me. The sleep works great. Just to be sure, I've emailed him and we can look deeper. Thanks for the confirmation.

phins2left

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Almost, *almost* ready to order

I'm glad I found this thread, particularly because it seems to be also catching the attention of the folks at Zagg.

I just about ordered the ZaggMate today (actually, two of them) when I decided to do just a little more research.

Basically, I've decided that if there was an incremental release that incorporated a couple of the suggested changes (that it seems like Zagg already plans), I'd buy them in a heartbeat - even if it was incrementally more expensive to offset the manufacturing or design costs. I imagine we'll do a lot of typing on these keyboards and the spacing (particularly the vertical spacing of the space bar to the rim height) is probably going to be a factor.

Rokr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zagg,

I will purchase another pad to make sure the tab doesn't touch, not that I don't believe you but I'd like to see what the correct tab location looks like. The original I had bought was slightly warped or bulged upward, so it touched my screen. If Zagg does release an updated model, I will definitely spring for it. In the meantime, I may find some sticky foam or something for the space bar issue.

Rokr

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Couple thoughts. We figured out Adiosamigos issue. Just confusion over how to wake up the ZAGGmate. Although the idea of a 1.5 version may seem appealing, I wouldn't bank on it unless Apple decides to extend the life of the iPad 1. Tooling costs and time to market, etc would make it very difficult to do in a meaningful way. This is in no way a guarantee, I'm just doing the math in my head and I find it doubtful. Regarding the spacebar vertical spacing vs the edge, most people don't notice it but we all type differently. Never a bad idea just to try it out and see how you like it. We are very good with returns if necessary. If you are close to a Best Buy, you could probably pull one out of a box there too.

big_daddy_mpd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So...my zaggMate problem? Sometimes, the keyboard seems to send erroneous keys. For example...double letters/spaces. I backspace, and it eliminates both duplicated keys, but continues to put them in going forward. Has anyone reported this?

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MAY be an issue with the ZAGGmate, but I don't think so. Do you have the most recent version of software on your iPad? The old software had Bluetooth issues.

Most reactions