What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just playing around with the Camera Connection Kit and I tried connecting my ZaggMate w/keyboard to the iPad via the CCK USB adapter, just to see if the ipad would charge the keyboard and sure enough - The iPad is actually charing the keyboard battery! Nice to know if you are even stuck on the road with a dead keyboard (although, I have yet to have my battery die in my ZaggMate)!

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
Sorry for your problem. The rubberish substance along the edges is a very impressive material. The characteristic we love about it is the fact you can smash a piece of it with a hammer or put it in a vice for days and it will always spring back to shape. This is important because we don't want it to wear and become lose over time. One of the other factors it has is very stretchy when cut to such thin widths.

What happened with a few ZAGGmates is that the workers were sliding their fingers down the edge as they installed it and in attempt to speed the process up, some workers would do the straight edges, then as they approached a corner, they would go on to the next edge. Finally, when done, they would push the corners in place. Seems like a nice quick way to do it, but the problem with that is you have a material that wants to spring back into shape (like a rubber band) and less adhesive in that spot because it has been stretched. Not a good combination. Most of these defects are obvious right out of the box and we've swapped them already. It sounds like you got one that took a little longer to manifest itself.

Again, sorry for the manufacturer defect. Please call customer service and they'll take care of it for you. Thanks.

Do you have contact details?

wannaride

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. I am having the same problem with the foam in one corner but there's nothing perfect in life. Or is there? Anyway the problem really isn't that bad and I'm not sure that I want to give up my ZaggMate for the time it would take to fix. Got to give props to Zagg for their outstanding customer support.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it is one of the two corners in the side with the keyboard opening, you can actually fix it quite easily. Gently pull the material away from the side, then reattach it without stretching it. If it is one of the back two corners, the only thing you can do is cut it, and reattach it. Of course, that will leave about a 3/16 inch gap. It will still work, but certainly not look perfect. I'd consider that more of a temporary solution while waiting for a replacement.

wannaride

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
If it is one of the two corners in the side with the keyboard opening, you can actually fix it quite easily. Gently pull the material away from the side, then reattach it without stretching it. If it is one of the back two corners, the only thing you can do is cut it, and reattach it. Of course, that will leave about a 3/16 inch gap. It will still work, but certainly not look perfect. I'd consider that more of a temporary solution while waiting for a replacement.

I don't think that would help my issue which is that a small chunk of the foam is missing. The corner is the right side front one. All of the other corners are fine. The iPad still snugly fits into the ZM and there are no functional issues. I'm not really sure I want a replacement either. With the exception of the double space issue - as you can see - and the corner mine has worked first time every time. And I shouldn't brag 'cause now it will probable die but I haven't charged the ZM in over a month in heavy usage and still no flashing status light.

BTW - If I had a commission for every time someone asked me about the ZM i'd be a rich man. Question most often asked: Does Apple make that? Second question: Why not? Great product that really turns the iPad into a completely functional computing device.

Banzai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great thread—got my ZAGGmate w/ keyboard last week and love the idea of it, but haven't been able to get the Bluetooth connection to reactivate properly once it disconnects. Since this forum was one of the first places I found any mention of this and tips to resolve it, I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone could help.

My iPad is running version 4.2.1 of the iOS firmware, so I don't think that's the issue. I've tried "forgetting" and re-pairing the device a few times, but once the connection is lost (if I turn off either device, or if it's broken any other way), the iPad does not automatically reconnect when both devices are powered. The iPad and the keyboard also cannot manually be reconnected in the Bluetooth preference panel—it can't find the ZAGGmate again, so it has to be "forgotten" and re-paired. Power cycling and even hard resetting the iPad has no effect on the issue.

Any ideas/similar experiences? Thanks for any help you can offer!

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had the privilege of diagnosing several pairing issues, but yours seems unique. Generally, it is the fault of old iOs software, user not quite understanding the process, or an obvious issue with the ZAGGmate itself. From your description, none of these seems to jump out at me. Please call or email customer service and they will be happy to troubleshoot this with you. If necessary, a replacement will be sent. Please let us know how it turns out so we can all benefit from your experience. Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience so far.

estudioG design

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
estudiogdesign.com
My ZAGG has never disconnected or given me any type of issues.

Question to the ZAGG rep, if I get the ipad2. How will it fit in this Zaggmate?

I might just give my current iPad to my daughter and get the 2, don't know yet.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are putting the finishing touches on the ZAGGmate for the iPad 2. Give us just a couple more days and I can confirm all the changes. As far as the iPad 2 fitting into the current ZAGGmate, I'd wait for the new one. The ZAGGmate 2 will be custom made to fit the newer iPad and it will also have a few improvements. Technically, the iPad 2 will "fit" in the ZAGGmate, but it would do it in the same way your size 10 feet would fit in size 12 shoes. Obviously, this won't work in reverse. The iPad 1 certainly won't "fit" in the ZAGGmate 2. I'll give some updates as soon as we start mass production and everything is finalized.

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting this was a permanent fix. I am using it until the new version comes out. My other choice - which I tried first - was to go back to my Apple BT keyboard, but that required another device to hold the iPad 2 up in a reading position - two more things to (a) pack and (b) explain to TSA (the tripod looks VERY suspicious going through the x-ray machine)!

Hurry with the new version.

Best,

Rich

Isla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm so excited... I just bought a Zaggmate for my iPad!!!! I feel that the back is very exposed so I need to get a skin for it. I am worried about scratching the back of the keyboard though, I need to get a life!

Reaction score
I have had the privilege of diagnosing several pairing issues, but yours seems unique. Generally, it is the fault of old iOs software, user not quite understanding the process, or an obvious issue with the ZAGGmate itself. From your description, none of these seems to jump out at me. Please call or email customer service and they will be happy to troubleshoot this with you. If necessary, a replacement will be sent. Please let us know how it turns out so we can all benefit from your experience. Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience so far.

Any cordless phones, micro wave ovens, fluorescent lighting around?
It could be interference though not likely

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

Most reactions

Latest posts