What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

chris935

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is an incredibly long (and helpful) thread, but I have not read it all so I apologize if these questions have been asked and answered already.

1) Can the iPad be laid propped up in the case with the bottom edge of the iPad lined up against the front edge of the case (i.e. by the space bar)? In other words, similar to the case without keyboard or like the Apple case when folded back. This is be a good angle for reading, surfing and playing games when no keyboard is required.

2) When lying down (bed or couch) and the iPad is propped up in the proper slot and the case is resting on one's chest, will the iPad remain securely in place while flipping pages or playing games (like sudoku for instance)?

Thanks

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Yes, this is a very popular angle. Hinge up, iPad resting on hinge at one end and below the space bar on the other. It works great

2. I guess it depends on your chest. It works great for me. I do it all the time when reading books. You will need to prop your head up a bit.

Soupmeister

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks toevyone that has posted here with the great comments. I just got my iPad 4days ago and I'm really starting to like it. I've checked out all of the available options for keyboards and cases and you have confirmed my thoughts that the Zagmate is the way to go. I will be placing my order in the morning!
Thanks again.:)

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks toevyone that has posted here with the great comments. I just got my iPad 4days ago and I'm really starting to like it. I've checked out all of the available options for keyboards and cases and you have confirmed my thoughts that the Zagmate is the way to go. I will be placing my order in the morning!
Thanks again.:)
I'm hoping someone at ZM is keeping track and provides a discount coupon for Ver 2.0 for all of those who have promoted the product!

Bigmopotz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Case

I have used an Apple Case and a Kensington Case with Bluetooth Keyboard, both which provide all round protection for my expensive purchase, however I love the naked look of my ipad back and the Zaggmate just compliments this even further. It looks good, feels good, is practical and above all in a league of its own when it comes down to style. 100%

Hrothgar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sad

I'm coveting this case but there are no retailers in Canada yet :(. I've checked FutureShop, BestBuy, Staples, local Mac dealers, even the Canadian authorized retailers listed on their site, Zagg is not shipping any Zaggmates to anyone in Canada yet. Don't want to order from US and risk brokerage charges, so I will have to wait.

Can the Zagg-guy give me an ETA for retail locations in Canada??

Rusty Robot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to let others know the iOS bluetooth can lose signal (sort of) when you shut off the iPad and turn it back on. Most notably with ZaggMate keys (random ones each time) will not work. I've had to pair my keyboard more than a few times because of this. It doesn't mean your Zagg is defective, it means Apple needs to address this bluetooth error.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rusty, do you have the most recent iOS? The newer versions of Apple software are much better with connectivity issues. The old stuff wasn't great. We have a bunch of people here who use them daily and we only experienced issues like you describe with the old software.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
big_daddy_mpd said:
So...my zaggMate problem? Sometimes, the keyboard seems to send erroneous keys. For example...double letters/spaces. I backspace, and it eliminates both duplicated keys, but continues to put them in going forward. Has anyone reported this?

I have this happen as well - usually happens for me when the iPad is "busy" doing other things, when it eventually "catches up", it'll cause double letters to appear.

Cullen07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love mine, I didn't see that you posted anything about it, and I literally just posted about it. I'm using mine right now, you can have it anyway you want on it's side or anything else!

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ooops! Zaggmate is now showing signs of wear. The foam has started to come away from the corners and a gap has started to appear between the front edge and the edge of the keyboard. Anyone else experienced this?

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for your problem. The rubberish substance along the edges is a very impressive material. The characteristic we love about it is the fact you can smash a piece of it with a hammer or put it in a vice for days and it will always spring back to shape. This is important because we don't want it to wear and become lose over time. One of the other factors it has is very stretchy when cut to such thin widths.

What happened with a few ZAGGmates is that the workers were sliding their fingers down the edge as they installed it and in attempt to speed the process up, some workers would do the straight edges, then as they approached a corner, they would go on to the next edge. Finally, when done, they would push the corners in place. Seems like a nice quick way to do it, but the problem with that is you have a material that wants to spring back into shape (like a rubber band) and less adhesive in that spot because it has been stretched. Not a good combination. Most of these defects are obvious right out of the box and we've swapped them already. It sounds like you got one that took a little longer to manifest itself.

Again, sorry for the manufacturer defect. Please call customer service and they'll take care of it for you. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts