[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by Mickey330, Dec 1, 2010.

1. MattIM

MattIM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Too bad your Zaggmate with Keyboard arrived in such a poor condition, have you contacted Zagg to remedy your problems with your Zaggmate? I think they are anxious to assist anyone with problems with their product. As to what to do with the keyboard when you just use the iPad? I just close the fold up stand and put the iPad face side up onto the keyboard. The iPad rests very easily in the keyboard case.

2. Rusty Robot

Rusty Robot
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Cannot pair with iPad [error]

I went to pair the keyboard with the iPad via bluetooth, but upon clicking the ZAGGmate under 'devices' I get an error message.

"Pairing Unsuccessful, ZAGGmate is not supported"

What? I just paid $99 for something that doesn't work with the latest iOS? It will pair with my MacBook Pro (not that I bothered adding it, but the MacBook took me to the next step of typing on the keyboard to pair). The iPad doesn't take me to that step. It just keeps giving me the same error. Anybody have any ideas? This is a bit disappointing...

FYI, restarting the iPad doesn't work. Neither does starting the process of pairing over (and over...). I'm up to date with the latest updates from apple too.

3. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you leave the hinge up and then place your iPad (face up) into it, it'll rest quite nicely (the iPad fits down into the case). It won't slip as much, plus you get a nice little bit of a viewing angle.

Marilyn

4. ZAGG

ZAGG
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Rusty robot pairing problem

Rusty,

That message seems odd. Do you have the new Beta version of the software? Assuming you've checked to make sure you have the latest normal version of the software (as you stated), do a quick troubleshooting session using our FAQs located here:

ZAGG | Frequently Asked Questions

If that doesn't work, call our customer support center. It seems like your ZAGGmate is working fine if your MacBook will pair with it. Seems more like an iPad issue, but we can help you with it. If it is something worse, we will get you another one right away. Hang in there.

5. Wacker

Wacker
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have to go through the vendor that sold the Zaggmate to me (Amazon vendor) and request an RMA etc, before it can be returned, too much messing about. I see by the other negative comments that the device may not be ready for prime time. When I suggested the iPad be able to fit into the case in reverse, I meant so it could be carried around as one unit to read a book etc, not to be able to balance the thing.

6. legub

legub
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Quality (and design) issues plague the Zaggmate.

Judging from the problems being described in this thread, one must conclude that the Zaggmate is not yet ready for market.

Such a shame, since the initial reviews suggested it was a solid, quality iPad accessory befitting of its relatively hefty price tag. However, the recent users experiences being reported establish that it has some serious technical problems. Most Disappointing! :(

7. kc2ped

kc2ped
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I am just a simple user of the ZAGGmate with keyboard and am not experiencing any problems with my hardware. The device is working for me as advertised. Remember that we don't complain when that happens. People who are not having a problem with a product are a usually a silent majority.

8. dcv1979

dcv1979
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    very nice to see the review here
    ive always wanted to get one

9. toasty_hoodie

toasty_hoodie
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm not liking how the back of the iPad stays exposed like it is

10. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    At the risk of sounding like a parrot - I, too, am having zero trouble with my Zaggmate. I'e used it every day since I bought it and have not once regretted my decision.

Granted, there have been a few issues with this, but if you look through the whole thread, you'll see a lot more satisfied customers than not. There's going to be glitches, yet Zagg has been right there to help those individuals. I give even higher marks to their customer service...

It's as kc2ped said - the people who are pleased with the product aren"t going to go on about how great it is. Can you imagine how dull a thread would be if it contained all "me likes too" quotes?

I stick by my original review: This is an awesome bit of kit!

Marilyn