What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

jcbeam19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You aren't the only one who likes the Apple case. It is my second favorite. Well, third if you count the non-keyboard ZAGGmate. Leather would likely make the iPad to thick to fit. That case is very tight. I'll try it later today and let you know.
Just tried the leather-backed iPad in the original Apple case. It fits fine.

Great! Thanks so much for trying it and posting the results!

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Charging Port Location

USBill,

Good thoughts on Charging port location. We discussed this issue when designing the ZAGGmate and we opted to go with the direction that provides the most protection when closed. In doing this, the Volume and mute switches are protected by the metal case and not exposed to whatever may be on the inside of a book back or briefcase or life, etc. As you mention, this layout encourages some users to flip the iPad over to leave the volume and mute switch on top. I do this sometimes too. But, for those who may not know, those buttons don't get smashed when in portrait mode. The angle of the iPad keeps the weight off them. Also, you can adjust volume and mute, etc with the keyboard keys.

So, the obvious question then is why not have a cutout on both sides? We wanted to keep it as clean and as strong as possible. An extra cutout in the aluminum would weaken the case a bit if bent along the middle and an extra cutout in the protective inner edge for the on/ off button would take away from the look just slightly. Further, it's not THAT hard to flip it whatever direction you want.

Anyway, this is not me saying, "hold it this way or that way." It is simply my way of saying, yes, we thought of that, but came to a conclusion that couldn't possibly satisfy every user. I hope you understand our conclusions. I certainly understand yours.

As always, thanks for your thoughts and comments. Then gen 2 will be even more refined because of your comments.

By the way, to the user thinking of taking a Dremel to the ZAGGmate....Please be Careful.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To use the ZAGGmate, it doesn't matter which side you have the home button. It's hooked up by bluetooth, so no wires. In fact, you don't even have to have the iPad IN the ZAGGmate case in order to use the keyboard. I use a plate-display wire thingy for normal viewing and use the keyboard separately.

If you want to charge the iPad while it is in the ZAGGmate, then yes, the button has to be on the left - cause that's where the [only] cut-out is. But, you aren't using it then, so no matter where the button is.

ZAGG has nothing to do with where your button is when you are using the keyboard. Where apps make you have your home button ... well, that's the specific app.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Maybe I didnt explain my post better, I mean the home button on the ipad,looking at pictures of the Zaggmate with ipad sitting in it the home button on the ipad is on the left side. I tried it that way and evrything is upside down.

Al:confused:

EthnicHipster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm typing this with my newly replaced Zaggmate. No spacing issues so far (I noticed that it might also have to do with the fact that when you start typing in something other than English and don't change the language of the keyboard itself, it might "confuse" the Ipad). Anyway, I'm incredibly impressed with the response I got from their team (don't hesitate to give them a call, they're much faster that way that emails back and forth). Kudos, Zagg. I will be looking out for new products from your company.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Al,

It sounds like you have your auto-rotate turned off. The iPad usually rotates the image to whatever makes it right side up. However, you may have turned this off by accident. Depending on your software, that is either changed by the switch on the side or by double clicking your home button, sliding the icons on the bottom from left to right, then clicking on the lock icon. That will either lock your screen orientation or unlock it. Give it a shot. If you were referring to something else, then never mind.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Al,

It sounds like you have your auto-rotate turned off. The iPad usually rotates the image to whatever makes it right side up. However, you may have turned this off by accident. Depending on your software, that is either changed by the switch on the side or by double clicking your home button, sliding the icons on the bottom from left to right, then clicking on the lock icon. That will either lock your screen orientation or unlock it. Give it a shot. If you were referring to something else, then never mind.

Thank you zagg,that did the trick.

Al.

ORredhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the review Marilyn

I had researched combo keyboards and cases ad nauseum and your review settled me on the Zagg.

Then I spent mo money on a cook cover for the back of my iPad and the screen cover..which I got for my iPhone at a kiosk outside the apple store nearby and just love.

I totally recommend the screen covers..my 5 year old granddaughter plays games on the oPad while we drive around and the peanut butter just wipes off no problem.

I'm taking this setup to Costa Rica with me instead of bringing the MacBook..my last trip was fatal to my older Mac book and Im happy to have a less expensive alternate. The only problem I see is I will be unable to download pictures from my camera..damn hadn't thought of that one earlier.

IPad is loaded with music and books and a few movies and I'm good to go

Appreciate it a lot

Elle in orygun

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ORredhead said:
The only problem I see is I will be unable to download pictures from my camera..damn

Look into the Camera Connection Kit. It works great. The only downside is that it is small and something else to forget somewhere.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had researched combo keyboards and cases ad nauseum and your review settled me on the Zagg.

Then I spent mo money on a cook cover for the back of my iPad and the screen cover..which I got for my iPhone at a kiosk outside the apple store nearby and just love.

I totally recommend the screen covers..my 5 year old granddaughter plays games on the oPad while we drive around and the peanut butter just wipes off no problem.

I'm taking this setup to Costa Rica with me instead of bringing the MacBook..my last trip was fatal to my older Mac book and Im happy to have a less expensive alternate. The only problem I see is I will be unable to download pictures from my camera..damn hadn't thought of that one earlier.

IPad is loaded with music and books and a few movies and I'm good to go

Appreciate it a lot

Elle in orygun

Thanks and glad I was able to help. You'll have to tell us how your trip went. I also am going on my first trip with only the iPad - no laptop. Should be interesting. And yes, I'm taking the ZAGGmate... :D

Marilyn

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 3 day seminar coming up and planning to bring only the ipad/zaggmate for notes and such, no laptop and no pen/paper.... I am excited to try to force the full emersion of ipad into my trip. (I'll be cheating though as my coworker will be with me and she'll have a laptop so if I HAVE to use one I'll have access).

EthnicHipster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im still having issues with the space bar suddenly double spacing between words. It happens in all apps Ive used my keyboard with (pages, notes plus, mail, etc). Am I the only with this issue? I've tried setting off/on certain settings like autocorrect but it still does it every now and then. Here's an example of what it does sometimes (notice the two spaces between "of" and "what" and "it" and "does". Any advice? I can't be the only person who has noticed this. :(

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have the most recent iOs software? The old software for the iPad was not nearly as stable with Bluetooth keyboards as the new software?

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EthnicHipster said:
Im still having issues with the space bar suddenly double spacing between words. It happens in all apps Ive used my keyboard with (pages, notes plus, mail, etc). Am I the only with this issue? I've tried setting off/on certain settings like autocorrect but it still does it every now and then. Here's an example of what it does sometimes (notice the two spaces between "of" and "what" and "it" and "does". Any advice? I can't be the only person who has noticed this. :(

I bet, like me you are a 10 finger typist who hits the space bar with a thumb. I had the same problem.but it doesn't happen if I am more deliberate with the space bar, and type just a little more slowly.

EthnicHipster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do have the latest iOS. And yeap, I do the spacebar with my thumb. I'll try to use my index finger from now but having to "slow down" my typing kind of makes my zaggmate useless. It is supposed to help me be more productive.

Most reactions

Latest posts