What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

unboggling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just ordered an iPad, now looking for the Zaggmate keyboard/case combo. Seems Amazon is sold out and has it on backorder. Anyone know what vendors may actually have them in stock?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a Best Buy In Your City?

Just ordered an iPad, now looking for the Zaggmate keyboard/case combo. Seems Amazon is sold out and has it on backorder. Anyone know what vendors may actually have them in stock?

I'm in little ol' Fort Wayne, Indiana. We have two Best Buys and they both have five copies of the Zaggmate with keyboard.

unboggling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. Ordered it from Zagg official store. I should've thought of that. Amazon sure has me trained….
:)

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So is the skin people put on their Zagg just the same one they would put on the back of the iPad?

Yep, sure is, Alun! The ZAGGmate is a tad bit bigger than the iPad, so the skin doesn't go all the way to the edge (it's about 3-5mm short on all sides). But, it still looks good; as if designed for the case.

I like how a skin looks on mine. Of course, YMMV.

Marilyn

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the Target info. I wasn't sure when that was going to be official. That gives you ZAGG.com, Best Buy, Target, and various approved resellers.

Spongebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zagg, I know you are partial to your products, but can you give me a user's opinion on what skin-type case would work in conjunction with the Zaggmate?

My kids have a tendency to break things that are not protected.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad and the ZAGGmate are both inherently tough given their aluminum finishes. We've done some drop tests and they always come out in good shape. As for scratches, I like the invisible shields to keep them looking new. For a little extra padding, you could put the combo in a neoprene bag but it really isn't necessary. If you want a little extra padding without adding bulk, the leather skins add about a half a millimeter of protection and shock resistance. You can't really put any type of other case on your iPad or it won't fit in the ZAGGmate. Just look at it the way our ZAGGmate designer does. You don't have any extra padding on your MacBook and it does just fine. Two solid pieces of aluminum are very tough and the glass is protected in between.

jess2014

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love this keyboard!!

I joined ipadforums just to post under this thread. I absolutely LOVE the ZAGGmate!! I don't know how I made it through the last 6 months without it!! I'm a sophomore in college and I actually just got it yesterday. I haven't stopped typing!! I literally can't wait to take notes and create documents with the new keyboard!! I haven't had a single problem with it at all. I love being able the use my iPad "naked". I feel like thats is the biggest thing about the iPad. Adding all these bulky, unnecessary cases to the iPad just defeats the purpose; that being having a thin, lightweight and portable device.

Also, as a side note, I want to praise the ZAGG poster for being so responsive to everyone on this thread. It really shows the dedication of the company! Five stars in my book for sure! I will recommend this product and the company to anyone.

And one more side note, I'm thinking about getting a ZAGGskin. Any specific suggestions? (i.e., which kind? and should I get one for the ZAGGmate as well as the iPad?)

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mickey330 said:
yep, sure is, alun! The zaggmate is a tad bit bigger than the ipad, so the skin doesn't go all the way to the edge (it's about 3-5mm short on all sides). But, it still looks good; as if designed for the case.

I like how a skin looks on mine. Of course, ymmv.

Marilyn

ymmv?

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry - acronym for "your mileage may vary."

Meaning: My opinion/experience only, may not work the same for you and please don't blame me if it doesn't.

Just a caveat I like to add when extolling a product...

Marilyn

Reaction score
For a while now have I been reading about the Zaggmate and it seems to work very fell from the reviews I came across.

My main concern is that the Zaggmate case is separate from the iPad, meaning that if I take the iPad out, there is an empty shell left lying around. I really like the idea of the iPad just being on item, I.e. take it out of the bag and nothing else.

So before buying one, I would like to ask here for some opinions on whether those fears are justified of not. Had this been of any concern to any of you?

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Sorry - acronym for "your mileage may vary."

Meaning: My opinion/experience only, may not work the same for you and please don't blame me if it doesn't.

Just a caveat I like to add when extolling a product...

Marilyn

Aha! Thanks muchly Marilyn :)

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
For a while now have I been reading about the Zaggmate and it seems to work very fell from the reviews I came across.

My main concern is that the Zaggmate case is separate from the iPad, meaning that if I take the iPad out, there is an empty shell left lying around. I really like the idea of the iPad just being on item, I.e. take it out of the bag and nothing else.

So before buying one, I would like to ask here for some opinions on whether those fears are justified of not. Had this been of any concern to any of you?

Personally, I have no problem. Most of the time my iPad is either sitting in the Zagg, upright, so I can use the keyboard or I have it laying on the Zagg lifted to a comfortable reading angle by the hinge.

For me, the protection it gives, certainly outweighs any inconvenience. If you read my post earlier, you will see mine was dropped 4 feet onto a tile floor without any apparent damage. I do carry the whole assembly in a laptop bag, when travelling to and from work. But once I get to the University, it comes out and is carried around as a set.

I am certainly a Zagg fan. Just my opinion though.

Alun

Most reactions