[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by Mickey330, Dec 1, 2010.

1. kc2ped

kc2ped
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Congratulations mate! You just graduated from being a Noob to a Fan.

2. AlunReynolds

AlunReynolds
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Zaggmate Reaches UK Shores

Just got mine. I wonder if it is the first in the UK? Initial views:

The keys are quite small, so I have had to slightly modify my typing style. Only been using it an hour or so and seem to be improving already. I am a ten finger touch typist so I am a bit of a test for any keyboard. I think that it will really suit my girlfriend (who has small hands (unlike my fingers which are like pig's snouts)).

Finish around the edges (between aluminium and foam padding) has a little surplus glue on it. But I am sure that will wipe off with a little white spirit.

The support works perfectly with the ipad sitting snug and secure in the groove.

Mine shipped without the rubber feet. But I will probably fit a shield anyway. Until then I will carry my ipad around in a jiffy bag :eek:)

Improvements:

A cut out for volume and mute (screen lock) buttons. The padding is cut but not the alli.

Same for headphone socket and mike would be good.

All in all, I like it a lot. It certainly looks stunning with the iPad folded into it.

3. Game_Writer

Game_Writer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    He he. Got a new avatar. Hope the guys at Zagg don't mind. ;)

4. addiosamigo

addiosamigo
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I was the first to get mine! :) got mine Monday :)

5. EthnicHipster

EthnicHipster
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Got mine as a Xmas present from my partner. I thought we were a match made in heaven but things started to go wrong after I noticed the space bar of the keyboard was all but useless. While typing any sentence in Pages, the email app, notes, etc. the keyboard randomly decides to double space between words (ie this is a normal sentence. This is what my keyboard would type). To add even more aggravation, the space bar some times gets stuck. I already contacted their customer support via email and sent the purchase receipt (bought from amazon in December). Hope they live up to their reported excellent customer service and provide me a way to get a replacement. Not sure if I got a lemon or not, but im somewhat disappointed since it is my first zagg product. Have read several forums but apparently no one else has reported this issue with their zaggmate. Will keep people updated. Oh and if the Zagg peeps are reading this, this is Marco and I've been emailing Chris at questions at Zagg.com

6. Markbullen

Markbullen
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I'm having a similar problem, except it's the top row of letter keys that is the problem Q W E R etc. The problem is intermittent. I phoned support and they told me to re-pair the keyboard which fixed the problem temporarily.

Seems like something is defective with the Bluetooth.

7. wannaride

wannaride
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Three weeks before need for battery charge

It took one day short of three weeks for the status light to indiicate the need to charge the ZaggMate. I never turn mine off and this seems like great battery life. All my keys work and when I deliberately disconnect bluetooth it re pairs easily.

I don't want to sound like a fanboy but it's worked great for me and has made the Ipad a much more useful device for me.

8. jo.sta

jo.sta
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hey,

Definitely contact Zagg and try to get a replacement because you wouldn't want to keep a product that's already halfway dead. It's such a frustrating problem because some keys work and others don't.

The strange thing for me was that all the keys that didn't work were in some sort of horizontal alignment which leads me to think it was a connection/hardware issue. And because "re-pairing" the Zagg via bluetooth didn't work, there really was no way to fix it.

Good luck with your zaggmate, and I hope you get a new one soon. :)

9. Wacker

Wacker
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I'm not so sold on the Zaggmate, mine arrived and had several key that didnt work, thought it was shipping damage but then noticed glue stains around the keyboard. Very flimsy design, the stand that supports the back of the iPad is very weak looking.
    A major design improvement was missed, the keyboard should have been made to reverse and sit on the back of the iPad because there i no place to store it when not in use and the iPad only is used. Far from an ideal device.

10. EthnicHipster

EthnicHipster
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Will have to wait till Monday apparently. No response as of yet :(