What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For a while now have I been reading about the Zaggmate and it seems to work very fell from the reviews I came across.

My main concern is that the Zaggmate case is separate from the iPad, meaning that if I take the iPad out, there is an empty shell left lying around. I really like the idea of the iPad just being on item, I.e. take it out of the bag and nothing else.

So before buying one, I would like to ask here for some opinions on whether those fears are justified of not. Had this been of any concern to any of you?

There is some hassle dealing with the ZAGGmate when you're not actively using it. However, I am mostly at home, so the case sits on the counter, the coffee table or sometimes the arm of the sofa until I want to use it. Not that big a deal, especially when I get to use my iPad "naked" - my preferred method.

When I took it to school last semester, I used to put it in/on my backpack (or on the floor). Kind of annoying and I get your concerns.

But now, thanks to ZAGG's clarification, I can put it under the iPad and use it as a mini display (when not using the keyboard). It becomes one thing that's relatively stable. The attached pictures show best what I (and ZAGG) are talking about...

With all but the first one, I took them with the camera sitting on the desktop - so you can see the actual angle you get. Plus, I cleaned my screen! :D Seriously - hope you get how neat this idea is.

Now, I can easily keep the case with the iPad while at college, sitting at those teeny-tiny desks. Oh, and this arrangement works great for holding them in your lap, something I should imagine is convenient when a desk isn't nearby. Pretty handy, that.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Attachments

• DSCI0080.JPG
    DSCI0080.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCI0081.JPG
    DSCI0081.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCI0082.JPG
    DSCI0082.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 262
  • DSCI0084.JPG
    DSCI0084.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 245

Alxc9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
finally got it...

I was at Target tonight and to my surprise they thad the Zaggmate. I was with my son and I showed it to him and told him I was thinking about getting it, he said I should totally get it. So I'm typing this post with it. The keyword is a bit small, but I think I can get used to it. I'm going to put it to the test this week at work and report later...

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1. ... and the Exclamation Point Key works so well!!
2. I just got the alligator skin. Took 20 seconds to put on (10 of which were looking for a magnifying glass to read the instructions)

skin.jpg

jcbeam19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richgalen,

I had been wondering all along if the leather skin would fit with the ZAGGmate; thanks for that pic! In your opinion, would the iPad still fit in the Apple Case w/the leather skin as well? I'm one of the few that likes the original Apple Case, but I also want the ZAGGmate. Thinking of getting leather skin and using both the original Apple Case and the ZAGGmate depending on how I am using it at a particular moment.

Juanita

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You aren't the only one who likes the Apple case. It is my second favorite. Well, third if you count the non-keyboard ZAGGmate. Leather would likely make the iPad to thick to fit. That case is very tight. I'll try it later today and let you know.

jcbeam19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG,

And you are the only person in all the surfing I've done, to mention they had a non-keyboard Zaggmate! I don't really NEED the keyboard, but couldn't find any reviews on the non-keyboard. Initially I was thinking non-keyboard with leather skin, because the only issue I have with the Zagg is no protection for the back which is more likely than the front to get scratched. So you rate your non-keyboard Zagg above your Apple case?

Juanita

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really like the non-keyboard. It doesn't get much attention because it's not as sexy as a Bluetooth keyboard. Nevertheless, you can drop your iPad on a very hard surface with this case and both case and iPad will survive. Also, the various angles make it very useful. As far as scratches on the back of the iPad, etc you are right, shields and skins and leathers take care of that. But let's not forget. What's the most likely thing on an iPad to actually break? The screen. And I've yet to see a case that does a better job of protecting that glass than the two ZAGGmates.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dats it, im buying this Zaggmate..lmfao. Damn, this will make my 4th case ;-) first i got a rubber skin that covers the back. Then i got the official apple case which i loved. Then looked for a more heavy duty case n got the targus Truss leather case/Stand, which i love also. Very easy to take ipad out if i want n no worries if i drop it. But, it is thick whether opened or closed. Now i want this Zaggmate bluetooth one. U cant beat it. Multifuctional and heavy duty protection plus its getting sooo many great reviews.
I wonder, will it work with the ipad 2 also? Meaning will it fit? Cuz i want this Zaggmate bluetooth keyboard case to be the very last case i buy ;-). Starting to spend to much $$ on cases..lmao

Last edited:

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 will likely be a different size but there's no way to know for sure until announced. You'd likely be able to lay your iPad inside still because most people assume it will be smaller but it would be held in tight as the iPad one is.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a observation, I have noticed in at least three Zaggmate display pictures the iPad has the home button on the left side while mine is always on the right,can this be changed or is it the fault of the person setting up the display. inquiring minds need to know.

Al

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which side if the iPad the button is placed on is another decision Steve has left up to the end user
Unfortunately some app programmers have taken that decision away from us and they all can't agree on which side the button should be on when they force us to use the iPad in portrait mode

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To use the ZAGGmate, it doesn't matter which side you have the home button. It's hooked up by bluetooth, so no wires. In fact, you don't even have to have the iPad IN the ZAGGmate case in order to use the keyboard. I use a plate-display wire thingy for normal viewing and use the keyboard separately.

If you want to charge the iPad while it is in the ZAGGmate, then yes, the button has to be on the left - cause that's where the [only] cut-out is. But, you aren't using it then, so no matter where the button is.

ZAGG has nothing to do with where your button is when you are using the keyboard. Where apps make you have your home button ... well, that's the specific app.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if there is one thing I'd change about my Zaggmate it's the docking connector cut out. It's on the wrong side. If you place the iPad so that it matches up with the dock connector the volume control is against the keyboard which means you have to use the onscreen volume control or the Zagg's volume controls, neither of which I like as much as simply touching the rocker on "top" of the screen.

I don't understand why there aren't two cut outs, one on each side.

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USBill said:
if there is one thing I'd change about my Zaggmate it's the docking connector cut out. It's on the wrong side. If you place the iPad so that it matches up with the dock connector the volume control is against the keyboard which means you have to use the onscreen volume control or the Zagg's volume controls, neither of which I like as much as simply touching the rocker on "top" of the screen.

I don't understand why there aren't two cut outs, one on each side.

You could always make one with a drill and a file. I am going to make headphone, speaker and volume switch cutouts on mine.

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You aren't the only one who likes the Apple case. It is my second favorite. Well, third if you count the non-keyboard ZAGGmate. Leather would likely make the iPad to thick to fit. That case is very tight. I'll try it later today and let you know.
Just tried the leather-backed iPad in the original Apple case. It fits fine.

Most reactions

Latest posts