[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by Mickey330, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Red Rover

Red Rover
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi all. New to the forum as well as the iPad, but I love it already. Watching Netflix streaming videos on my HD tv in the bedroom rather than on my computer is awesome. sometimes picture quality is "soft" but still viewable.

Anyway, I digress. I absolutely need the Zaggmate and can't seem to find them. The link on the Zagg site won't open for me. Is Zagg selling them right from the site? Best Buy website says "shipped to the store" when I check for in store pick-up availability. I'll go by today to see if they have one on the shelf.

The potential I see for me is to only carry the iPad around and to access my work or home computer using the free app Team Viewer. It allows you to work through the iPad right on your computers and save documents on the computer. This solves the problem for the limited memory on the iPad and the lack of usb for external storage. The keyboard will really help with this operation and I can't wait to get it.

Anyway, back to the Zaggmate; I want to buy or order one today.

Thanks for the review and the input.

PS, would like to see more photos of the Zaggmate with the leather skin on the iPad.

2. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, Red Rover. I don't know why the Zagg link won't work for you, so try this one:
    ZAGG | ZAGGmate | iPad Case | Premium Aluminum iPad Cover with Keyboard

If you want it right away, I'd suggest you do look in Best Buy stores. I'm not very impressed with Best Buy - so you may want to actually GO to the store, regardless of what their computer says. Of course, the website may be correct and they won't have one...

If you do have to order online, the one advantage to ordering it direct from Zagg is no taxes (well, I didn't have any) if your store has none in stock.

Good luck on your search.

Marilyn

3. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Okay I have a question.

What protects the front of the iPad when you put it in the case? I watched the two videos and I'm thinkin the front of the iPad does NOT touch the keyboard, but....or does it?

I do not want one. I simply do not.:D

4. Red Rover

Red Rover
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    All right, found one. By checking store availability I was able to locate a zaggmate. The three closest stores indicated none available. I went to the closest Best Buy showing in stock and they had two. Can't wait to get home.

5. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The front of the iPad does NOT touch the keyboard. There are three soft rubber sections that do touch the screen, but not the hard plastic bits.

See a picture I posted up-thread (#72) ... no touchy!

Snicker. Suuuuuuuuure you don't .... :cool:

:D

Marilyn

P.S. While I'm typing ... yay for you, Red Rover. I'll assume you're home now - so, you like?

#135 Mickey330, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  6. tdmsu

tdmsu
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I played with a zaggmate at a Zagg kiosk at the mall today - I want one!

7. addiosamigo

addiosamigo
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone in the UK actually received their Zaggmate yet?? Monday will be the 5th week! :(

edit: I received a card through my door today, with a charge of £19.36 (including a customs charge). What I'm a bit peeved about is that it says the sender didn't pay the full postage! Thanks Zagg! :(

#137 addiosamigo, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  8. Game_Writer

Game_Writer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Can someone tell me if pressing the FN button and then the DELETE key gives the functionality of a real DELETE key and not just backspace? (This is how a MacBook keyboard works. I'm guessing this keyboard will be the same maybe???)

9. USBill

USBill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    testing to see if fn+Delete is a real delete and not a backspace...

NOPE

10. Game_Writer

Game_Writer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, Bill. I guess they didn't copy that Mac functionality.

Okay, so I ran down to Best Buy and bought one. They had a half-dozen or so of them in. Cool.

So, I'm trying it now and I don't love it. It's cool and I think I'll like it, but so far I don't love it. Oh well.

I DO have a question for it, though. When I first turned it on and before I paired it with my iPad, the little LED above STATUS was lit. Now it's not. I never comes on now. I'm typing right now and no status light. The OFF/ON switch doesn't seem to do anything. I slide it to OFF and the keyboard still works. Is that right or do I need to take it back?

EDIT: Okay, I've read that maybe the status light only comes on when you are about to pair. Okay. That's weird. So is there any way to tell if the keyboard is on? It seems as if the power switch is a momentary switch, that is spring-loaded to return to off, but min isn't doing that. The off switch doesn't feel solid. I really like this set up, but am a bit disappointed in the keyboard and other controls. Types pretty good, though--I think I can get used to the cramped keyboard.

Dar

#140 Game_Writer, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011