What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've put the leatherskin on the back of my iPad and currently have a zaggskin on the Zaggmate.

I've special ordered a zaggskin (of my own design) for the back of my Zaggmate ... will show it off when I get it.

I believe BrennB has a leatherskin on both her iPad and the Zaggmate - no doubt it looks cool as ... heck!

Marilyn

LadyPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am somewhat peeved at Zagg. I bought the iPad 3G on the first day it was available. I went back the following week and bought the keyboard dock since I needed a dock for charging at work as well as at home and I thought the keyboard would help with my terminal typo problem (I have been diagnosed with stage 3 typo syndrome.). I lugged my briefcase back and forth to work to accommodate the weird shape of the keyboard dock.
I got a gift certificate from Best Buy and went down to find a bag that would fit the iPad and the keyboard dock. My Best Buy dude (every old lady needs their own personal computer dude!) showed me the Zaggmate and I blackened both of my eyes (jumping up and down without...um...er..ah..proper foundation garment.). Driving home my 'puter illiterate hubby complained about not knowing what to get me for the holidays. I volunteered the Zaggmate. We wrapped it up and put it under the tree at my grandson's house.
I didn't get to use it until after the holidays and that's why I'm peeved at Zagg. If they had advertised this thang, I would not have wasted all that time without it.
The Zagg goes everywhere with me. It fits in my purse. It has become inseparable from the iPad. I am constantly asked if it came with my iPad or if I had to buy it separately.
I have become as ardent a fan of the Zaggmate as I am the iPad.

All that wasted time. Shame on you Zagg!

Debragail

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Yes I am typing this on my replacement Zagg. Turned on and charged no problem. Paired like magic with my Ipad. Types great. I am not only a great fan of this product but I am completely and totally impressed with Zagg as a company. Their after sales care is the best I have ever come across. As I said prior I am in Sydney Ausralia and I was certain I had blown my money and time. How wrong was I. Thank you Zagg. I am emailing all from friends about the Zaggmate and how great a product it is. My advice, if you get a Zaggmate and it has a problem don't despair, Zagg will fix it. Although it might be inconvenient if your Zaggmate has a problem, take heart it will be dealt with ASAP and the slight delay in waiting for a replacement is well worth it. Great product, fantastic customer care. Keep on keeping on Zagg..
:):):)

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
I've put the leatherskin on the back of my iPad and currently have a zaggskin on the Zaggmate.

I've special ordered a zaggskin (of my own design) for the back of my Zaggmate ... will show it off when I get it.

I believe BrennB has a leatherskin on both her iPad and the Zaggmate - no doubt it looks cool as ... heck!

Marilyn

Yep! I put the brown/tan embossed on the back of the ipad, with a zagg screen protector on the front (had that since day one). This looked sooooo good. The leather skin and the keyboard were both Christmas presents so I didn't realize how I'd want something on the cold bottom of the zaggmate. However, my buddy Scott offered me his 50% off coupon he had laying around and I ordered myself a plain/unembossed matching leather shield for the zaggmate (it is actually intended for the ipad but fits perfectly on the bottom of the zaggmate). I think this set up looks totally gorgeous and professional. I carry the entire package in a case logic sleeve I had and all travels together nicely.

BTW I too, am one of the happy users to not have had any issue (beside user error) with the zaggmate. My buddy is outfitting his zaggmate/ipad with the black leather... can't wait to see how that comes out!

Wish list... more leather options (IE sometime girly like pink or white!)

rsmin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love the Zaggmate! I put Zagg's black leather on the back of my iPad, and Zagg invisishield on the back of the Zaggmate.

Rusty

lrchevelle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
random disconnects.

I've had my ZaggMate for about a week and have been very pleased with the quality of the product. It seems to type very well (when it's actually paired) and doesn't give me many other problems. Anyway, on to the issue.

I can't really figure out what's causing it to disconnect, but I know for a fact that the battery should be charged, and I know I'm pairing it correctly. Already gone through all the FAQ's at the zagg website. I had it plugged in for a few hours and I believe that the Zagg dude said earlier in one of his posts that it should be fully charged after around an hour or so. I've disconnected and reconnected it a few times and rebooted the iPad and still seem to be having issues. All the individual keys seem to be functioning properly when it's connected. I'm running iOS 3.2.2... did they do anything to the firmware that would improve the bluetooth connections in iOS 4? Really don't want to update to iOS 4 yet... I love backgrounder! In fact, that's about the only thing I've done to it after jailbreaking...

Anyone else still on 3.2.2 having problems with theirs? I'd really like for this product to work for me, but if I can't get this figured out in a few more days it's going back to Best Buy and the iPad's going back in the OtterBox! Oh, one more question... does this keyboard use an HID bluetooth profile or something different?

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Irchevelle,

The newer iOS is significantly better with Bluetooth connections. It's well documented. Further, the new iOS does a pretty good job of multitasking so the jailbreak and backgrounder is less useful. Yes we use standard HID profile.

lrchevelle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your rapid response. Means a lot to me that you would write me back within 10 minutes of my post. I've read most of your posts in this thread and all of your responses seem very insightful and helpful. Glad to know that you're proud of your company and stand behind the products it makes. I guess I'll have to upgrade to one of the 4.0 releases and give it a shot! Thanks again for a nice product. Just to be clear, it won't damage the keyboard by charging it with the 10w charger that came with the ipad?

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well Folks, I have carried out a drop test of the iPad/Zaggmate combo. Not deliberately of course, I'm not that stupid. Though perhaps I am. Slipped off a shelf in the mens lavatory and landed on a hard floor 4ft below. Loud bang, iPad flew out of the Zagg. Good news both mother and baby are fine. All fingers and toes still in place. No dents, dings scratches or scuffs at all. Well done Apple for building a robust device. Well done Zagg for making something that makes it even stronger. Not many laptops would have been unscathed by that drop.

rsmin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AlunReynolds said:
Well Folks, I have carried out a drop test of the iPad/Zaggmate combo. Not deliberately of course, I'm not that stupid. Though perhaps I am. Slipped off a shelf in the mens lavatory and landed on a hard floor 4ft below. Loud bang, iPad flew out of the Zagg. Good news both mother and baby are fine. All fingers and toes still in place. No dents, dings scratches or scuffs at all. Well done Apple for building a robust device. Well done Zagg for making something that makes it even stronger. Not many laptops would have been unscathed by that drop.

Wow, glad to hear you came out unscathed on that!

Rusty :)

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I was surprised (and not a little relieved) when I bent down to pick up the pieces. Well, I was expecting pieces as it happens. I think the padding round the rim of the Zagg, though quite thin, added that little bit of protection from an edge landing for both the ipad and the zagg. The fact that they actually flew apart probably helped too. I would prefer not to drop it into water if that's ok with all of you. Unless of course members want to fund a, possibly, destructive test by subscribing to an Alun's replacement iPad fund :eek:)

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I was surprised (and not a little relieved) when I bent down to pick up the pieces. Well, I was expecting pieces as it happens. I think the padding round the rim of the Zagg, though quite thin, added that little bit of protection from an edge landing for both the ipad and the zagg. The fact that they actually flew apart probably helped too. I would prefer not to drop it into water if that's ok with all of you. Unless of course members want to fund a, possibly, destructive test by subscribing to an Alun's replacement iPad fund :eek:)

Ummmm, no thanks. I'm just going to go by this axiom: iPad + water = BAD!

Glad to hear it survived the unplanned drop test. Good to know it was tough enough for you (though I am not going to try it out, personally :D).

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts