What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Carolina Mountains - Beautiful Vistas & Great Retreats!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Beech Mountain, Banner Elk, Sugar Top Resort, & Grandfather Winery!

In the morning the weather was clear but later some intermittent rain clouds threatened planned activities - the map below shows our outgoing limb back to the Linville area (which include a drive over the Linville Cove Viaduct), and then onto Beech Mountain (the ski lift ride was not done - rain?); next back to Banner Elk where we ate a light lunch & then visited an art gallery - followed by an attempt to visit the Sugar Top Resort; out final stop was the Grandfather Winery for a tasting; the return limb to Blowing Rock via Boone also shown on the map.

Beech Mountain is a small town but a major North Carolina ski area w/ the population escalating in the winter months - at an elevation of 5,506 feet (1,678 m), Beech Mountain is the highest incorporated community east of the Rocky Mountains; so North Carolina has the highest town & highest mountain (Mt. Mitchell) east of the Mississippi River; just a few pics below of the ski slopes (diagram & actual view from the web).

We returned to Banner Elk, a delightful mountain town at an elevation of 3,700 feet - lunched at the Banner Elk Cafe, then headed for the Art Cellar Gallery for probably our fourth visit over many years (a few pics below) - a large place on three levels representing many artists working in paints, prints, wood, glass, pottery, jewelry, etc - a MUST stop if this is an interest - we've purchased a number of items there in the past.

Our next drive was up Sugar Mountain to the Sugar Top Condo Resort (discussed in previous posts) - just wanted to see if we could look the place over and get a spectacular view of Grandfather Mountain (GF Mtn); well, no luck! We were met at the gated property by a guard - the only way in for us would be to either rent a condo or make an appointment ahead of time to see condos for potential purchase - below, just a few pics, including a view of GF Mtn found on the web - oh well, we tried!

Our final stop for the day was the Grandfather Winery for a tasting - beautiful place w/ sloping vineyards near the tasting room; the wines were decent although Susan did not like her 'sweet' flight of wines - I had the 'dry white & red' flight and purchased 4 bottles shown below.

Tomorrow, we return home, but between here and our home in Winston Salem is the Swan Creek AVA - there are 4 wineries not too far apart and an Amish General store that makes some great sandwiches - might be a stop for us - if so, expect another post! :) Dave
BR3_0Map.png
BR3_A1_LinnCoveVia.jpg
BR3_A2BeechMtn1.jpg
BR3_A3BeechMtn2.jpg
BR3_A4BannerElk1.jpg
BR3_A5ArtCellar1.jpg
BR3_A6ArtCellar2.JPG
BR3_SugarTopCondos1.JPG
BR3_SugarTopCondos2.png
BR3_Winery1.JPG
BR3_Winery2.JPG
BR3_Winery3.JPG
BR3_Winery4.JPG
BR3_Winery5.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

In the morning the weather was clear but later some intermittent rain clouds threatened planned activities - the map below shows our outgoing limb back to the Linville area (which include a drive over the Linville Cove Viaduct), and then onto Beech Mountain (the ski lift ride was not done - rain?); next back to Banner Elk where we ate a light lunch & then visited an art gallery - followed by an attempt to visit the Sugar Top Resort; out final stop was the Grandfather Winery for a tasting; the return limb to Blowing Rock via Boone also shown on the map.

Beech Mountain is a small town but a major North Carolina ski area w/ the population escalating in the winter months - at an elevation of 5,506 feet (1,678 m), Beech Mountain is the highest incorporated community east of the Rocky Mountains; so North Carolina has the highest town & highest mountain (Mt. Mitchell) east of the Mississippi River; just a few pics below of the ski slopes (diagram & actual view from the web).

We returned to Banner Elk, a delightful mountain town at an elevation of 3,700 feet - lunched at the Banner Elk Cafe, then headed for the Art Cellar Gallery for probably our fourth visit over many years (a few pics below) - a large place on three levels representing many artists working in paints, prints, wood, glass, pottery, jewelry, etc - a MUST stop if this is an interest - we've purchased a number of items there in the past.

Our next drive was up Sugar Mountain to the Sugar Top Condo Resort (discussed in previous posts) - just wanted to see if we could look the place over and get a spectacular view of Grandfather Mountain (GF Mtn); well, no luck! We were met at the gated property by a guard - the only way in for us would be to either rent a condo or make an appointment ahead of time to see condos for potential purchase - below, just a few pics, including a view of GF Mtn found on the web - oh well, we tried!

Our final stop for the day was the Grandfather Winery for a tasting - beautiful place w/ sloping vineyards near the tasting room; the wines were decent although Susan did not like her 'sweet' flight of wines - I had the 'dry white & red' flight and purchased 4 bottles shown below.

Tomorrow, we return home, but between here and our home in Winston Salem is the Swan Creek AVA - there are 4 wineries not too far apart and an Amish General store that makes some great sandwiches - might be a stop for us - if so, expect another post! :) Dave
View attachment 72973 View attachment 72974 View attachment 72975 View attachment 72976 View attachment 72977 View attachment 72978 View attachment 72979 View attachment 72980 View attachment 72981 View attachment 72982 View attachment 72983 View attachment 72984 View attachment 72985 View attachment 72986
You've certainly had a busy but enjoyable day. Did you buy any wine from the winery?

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You've certainly had a busy but enjoyable day. Did you buy any wine from the winery?

Yep - my last pic in the previous post - 4 bottles (3 whites & 1 red) - I've been sampling North Carolina wines for over 3 decades and many are rather mediocre to poor - but there are a few decent ones that shine; however, the wines always seem better when tasted at the wineries, then when I buy a few and try them at home, after a glass I'm often disappointed - however, I usually will buy at least a couple of bottles to support the local industry since many of these smaller producers make their money from the visitor's in their tasting rooms.

As to tomorrow on our return home, we plan to visit two of our favorite wineries in the Swan Creek AVA (link given before) - will add a follow-up post then - Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Blue Ridge Parkway - Just a Few More Panoramic Pics!

Susan & I returned home from Blowing Rock today - the first leg is a 20 minute drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway to HW 421 - the air was quite clear this morning about 10 AM, so I stopped at a few overlooks and took some pics, including some beautiful panoramic shots - some of the clearest views of the distance mountains that I've seen in several years.

We then made three stops in the Swan Creek AVA to visit three wineries, two 'old friends' and a new one to us - will be the upcoming posts - Dave :)
BR4_BRPW1.JPG
BR4_BRPW2.JPG
BR4_BRPW3.JPG
BR4_BRPW4.JPG
BR4_BRPW5.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Swan Creek AVA & Laurel Gray Vineyards

On our way home (and about 45 mins from our house in western Winston Salem), we stopped in the Swan Creek AVA - there are three AVAs (American Viticultural Area) in North Carolina at the moment - the Swan Creek area is adjacent to the much larger Yadkin Valley AVA - presently, there are a half dozen wineries in the Swan Creek region - we have visited five, most multiple times - on this trip today we return to two favorites, i.e. Laurel Gray & Raffaldini Wineries, and then a new one for us, Piccione Vineyards.

The first stop was Laurel Gray Vineyards & Winery, which is just off HW 421 - this is a small AVA and all the wineries are nearby. This winery concentrates on French vinifera grapes, both white and red, a variety of dessert style wines, and some special 'sauce' offerings (see pics below for the latter). Some of the best Chardonnay that I've had from North Carolina grapes has come from Laurel Gray - they continue to win numerous awards. Today, we bought a half case of wine (see quote & pic) - four are for me and two for Susan. We also have their vinaigrette & barbecue sauces - Susan marinades a pork tenderloin in the vinaigrette overnight and cooks to just medium - comes out tender & juicy! Dave :)

Pinot Gris (2015) - always done well at this winery.
Viognier (2013) - more tropical melon and large pit fruits, such as peach.
Chardonnay (2014) - barrel fermented & one of my favorite NC chardonnays.
Bounty (2013) - a Bordeaux blend w/ the usual grapes.
Encore - red wine w/ dark chocolate & raspberry essence added - Susan’s pick!
Nectar - sweet white wine from Niagara grapes - Susan’s pick!
LaurelGrayA1.png
LaurelGrayA2.JPG
LaurelGrayA3.JPG
LaurelGrayA4.JPG
LaurelGrayA5.JPG
LaurelGrayB1.JPG
LaurelGrayB2.JPG
LaurelGrayB3.JPG
LaurelGrayB4.png
LaurelGrayB5.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Ridge Parkway - Just a Few More Panoramic Pics!

Susan & I returned home from Blowing Rock today - the first leg is a 20 minute drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway to HW 421 - the air was quite clear this morning about 10 AM, so I stopped at a few overlooks and took some pics, including some beautiful panoramic shots - some of the clearest views of the distance mountains that I've seen in several years.

We then made three stops in the Swan Creek AVA to visit three wineries, two 'old friends' and a new one to us - will be the upcoming posts - Dave :)
View attachment 72999 View attachment 73000 View attachment 73001 View attachment 73002 View attachment 73003
You've certainly got some wonderful mountain views there. You were lucky to get such a clear day.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You've certainly got some wonderful mountain views there. You were lucky to get such a clear day.

Yes - for some reason the atmosphere was just not as hazy this morning and I could see more layers of mountains - did not plan to stop, but had to try a few panoramas which turned out well - :) Dave

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Raffaldini Vineyards - Italian Grapes in the Piedmont

Our next visit was another favorite Raffaldini Vineyards & Winery w/ a gorgeous Tuscan-styled Tasting Building & beautiful mountains in the background (see the numerous pics below taken today - the panoramic views are just spectacular). Pinot Grigio & Vermentino (an Italian island grape, especially Sardinia) are the two main dry white wines; the red grapes are Chianti-centric, i.e. Sangiovese & Montepulciano, the latter a clone of Sangiovese (as is Brunello). I bought six bottles of their wines quoted & pictured below (2 bottles of Pinot Grigio) - the Moscato for Susan.

We also had a light lunch there - no restaurant but a selection of sandwiches, salads, and cheeses - enjoyed a glass of Pinot Grigio as we shared a sandwich & chicken salad. Other items are on sale, including a Marinara sauce that Susan made w/ tortellini for our dinner tonight. We will return - :) Dave

Pinot Grigio (2015) - always done well at this winery - bought 2 bottles.
Vermentino (2015) - Italian island grape does well in NC climate.
Sangiovese (2013) - classic Chianti grape.
Montepulciano (2014) - Chianti clone (Vino Nobile).
La Dolce Vita - slightly sweet bubbly like Asti Spumante (Moscato grape).
RaffaldiniA1.jpg
RaffaldiniA2.jpeg
RaffaldiniA3.JPG
RaffaldiniA4.JPG
RaffaldiniA5.JPG
RaffaldiniB1.JPG
RaffaldiniB2.JPG
RaffaldiniB3.JPG
RaffaldiniB4.JPG
RaffaldiniB5.png

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Chetola Resort in Blowing Rock - July 2016 - 46th Anniversary on July 12

Tomorrow will be our 46th Anniversary, so celebrating w/ a 4-night stay in Blowing Rock at the Chetola Resort (just a 90-minute drive from home w/ nearly a half hour at the end on the Blue Ridge Parkway) - this resort has come up in many posts in this thread. This time we are renting a 2-bedroom condo in a new building for us named Poplar (see map below and the panoramic view from the balcony).

Climbing up the mountains from Wilkesboro to the Blue Ridge Parkway is always a summertime relief - today, the outside temperature was 90º F in Wilkesboro but 79º F once we hit the Parkway (one panoramic view from an overlook at about 3800 ft). The weather prediction is iffy so not sure how many pics will be coming up - we want to re-visit Grandfather Mtn and drive the Linn Cove Viaduct (all previous posts). Dave :)

P.S. Click on the panoramic shots and pan across (put them in larger than I usually do).
View attachment 72888 View attachment 72889 View attachment 72890
I never get tired of Chetola. It’s great to have a change of scenery only 90 minutes away. Accommodations are luxe, restaurants are excellent.

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Raffaldini Vineyards - Italian Grapes in the Piedmont

Our next visit was another favorite Raffaldini Vineyards & Winery w/ a gorgeous Tuscan-styled Tasting Building & beautiful mountains in the background (see the numerous pics below taken today - the panoramic views are just spectacular). Pinot Grigio & Vermentino (an Italian island grape, especially Sardinia) are the two main dry white wines; the red grapes are Chianti-centric, i.e. Sangiovese & Montepulciano, the latter a clone of Sangiovese (as is Brunello). I bought six bottles of their wines quoted & pictured below (2 bottles of Pinot Grigio) - the Moscato for Susan.

We also had a light lunch there - no restaurant but a selection of sandwiches, salads, and cheeses - enjoyed a glass of Pinot Grigio as we shared a sandwich & chicken salad. Other items are on sale, including a Marinara sauce that Susan made w/ tortellini for our dinner tonight. We will return - :) Dave

View attachment 73017 View attachment 73018 View attachment 73019 View attachment 73020 View attachment 73021 View attachment 73022 View attachment 73023 View attachment 73024 View attachment 73025 View attachment 73026
The vineyards are all so scenic that I look forward to visiting them, even though I’m not an oenophile like my spouse.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Piccione Vineyards - Another Italian Winery in the Swan Creek AVA

The newest winery opening in the Swan Creek AVA is Piccione Vineyards which is just down the country road from Raffaldini Vineyards, thus neighbors. The new winery is an apparent dream of a thoracic surgeon in the Chicago area, Dr. William Piccione (story quoted below from the link) - the vineyards were started in 2010 and the tasting room opened officially last year. The pics below are a mixture of my own and some from the web - the mountain views are just spectacular! Our first visit.

The tasting room is small and rather modest - I'm assuming that a larger one will be built eventually? The property grows a combination of Italian and French varietals (as seen in the first screen capture below), although an Italian influence predominates. I tasted most of their offerings - the Italian-style wines were not as good as those at Raffaldini and Susan preferred the latter's Moscato; I was not thrilled w/ the chardonnays - so, just bought 3 bottles, i.e. Pinot Grigio, Vermentino, & Montepulciano - we will certainly return to see how this 'new' winery develops - I suspect improvement. Dave :)

Dr. William Piccione, grandson of Giuseppe and Vita, raised with these values went on to become a Harvard-trained Cardiovascular Thoracic surgeon – actively practicing medicine for more than 20 years. Despite a demanding career, Bill has always had fond memories of his grandfather’s winemaking efforts and as a child remembers Giuseppe’s homemade winery with a handpress, small oak barrels and a manual bottling machine.

This deep respect for Italian tradition and a passion for wine led Bill to obtain Italian citizenship for himself and his children and to further study wine, earning sommelier certification. In 2010, Piccione Vineyards was founded in the picturesque Swan Creek AVA of North Carolina to continue the Italian tradition of the Piccione family and to produce the finest wine possible. In wine is health – In vino salute.
Piccinone0.png
Piccione1.png
Piccione2.jpg
Piccione3.jpg
Piccione4.jpg
Piccione5.JPG
Piccione6.JPG
Piccione7.JPG
Piccione8.png

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score

View attachment 72973 View attachment 72974 View attachment 72975 View attachment 72976 View attachment 72977 View attachment 72978 View attachment 72979 View attachment 72980 View attachment 72981 View attachment 72982 View attachment 72983 View attachment 72984 View attachment 72985 View attachment 72986

I never get tired of this area--only 90 minutes away! I love the picture of me at the winery--so flattering (because I’m so far away ;))

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I never get tired of this area--only 90 minutes away! I love the picture of me at the winery--so flattering (because I’m so far away ;))

OOPS, sorry - wanted to give a feeling of the size of that tasting room(s) - :)

Below a pic of Susan w/ our friend Phyllis on a joint trip to the Raffaldini Winery a few years ago - Dave
SuePhil_Raffaldini.JPG

jenni122701

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Giradman, thanks for referring me to this thread! I have LOVED all these pics! Though I live here in Asheville, we do not get out much nor do we hardly travel at all. We do have a lovely state to be proud of, don't we? My husband and I live in East Asheville, we are exactly 3.1 miles from the Biltmore Estate. It's almost strange to be in "beer city" and so close to the estate and not be a beer drinker nor have I visited the estate but once as a child. I know, insane... Mostly it's just due to health & monitory reasons. I've been to Lake Lure and Chimney Rock as a child too. I love when we go out though and are going someplace that we can take the Blue Ridge Parkway. I've spent much more time on that and it's the BEST when the colors change. Man we get a LOT of out-of-towners then. Lol. Will see about adding pics here when I run across any or can get some taken. [emoji1303]

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Jenni - thanks for the Asheville information - we need to return to Lake Lure & Chimney Rock; and also like to visit Black Mountain. On our trip last year, we visited the Asheville River Arts District for the first time (which we could not believe since our house is full of art objects usually purchased on trips) - we bought several small items, the tea pot by Akira Satake and the decorative flower lamp by Pamela O'Connor; we then explored downtown and had an early & tasty tapas dinner at Zambra - we likely will be back to Asheville later this year and will again return to the downtown area and the arts district. Dave :)

kh-19-omote.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 12.19.47 PM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts