What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Carolina Mountains - Beautiful Vistas & Great Retreats!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Grove Park Inn - Historic Asheville Mountain Resort

Since this thread has been reactivated, I though a few posts about the Asheville area would be of interest, especially for those who may be traveling through western North Carolina. Although in the last ten years or so, we have invariably stayed at the Inn on Biltmore Estate (discussed & pictured in a number of previous posts in this thread). However, there is a much more famous and historic resort originally called the Grove Park Inn, but purchased and renovated by the Omni Corporation - below a description from the link.

Now in our earlier visits to Asheville (and before the Inn on Biltmore Estate was built), we typically stayed at the Grove Park Inn, but on our last visit about a decade or so ago, we still loved the place but the food had really gone downhill, which is an issue because the property is beautifully situated on Sunset Mountain (so most convenient just to eat there) w/ a spectacular scenic view of downtown Asheville requiring a mandatory drink on Sunset Porch as the sun goes down and Asheville lights up for the night. Well, now that Omni has taken over ownership, the restaurants have likely changed (hopefully for the better) and may warrant a return visit for us, as early as this fall?

The original central stone building dates back to over 100 years (see second quote below from the Omni homepage) w/ additional newer wings added, plus most recently a large spa; a beautiful Donald Ross designed mountain golf course fronts the large property. The inside lobby is spectacular w/ two huge fireplaces (the logs must be about 10 ft in length). Over the years, we've stayed in both the original and the newer wings - Susan likes the latter, but I prefer the old section where the room walls are often made of stone - MANY famous people have stayed there over the decades (if interested, check the first link above - includes nearly a dozen USA Presidents) - in fact, a number of the rooms have plaques indicating famous personages, such as F. Scott Fitzgerald (see last two images below) - the other images are pretty self-evident although I've added some text to a few.

SO, if you are planning a visit to Asheville, at least a short trip to the Grove Park Inn for lunch or late afternoon drinks on the Sunset Porch should be on your list of 'things to do' - Dave :)

The Grove Park Inn is an historic resort hotel on the western-facing slope of Sunset Mountain within the Blue Ridge Mountains, in Asheville, North Carolina. It is a AAA Four-Diamond Hotel and has been since 2001. It has been visited by many United States' presidents and many other notable personages. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the hotel is an example of the Arts and Crafts style. It also features a $44 million, 40,000-square-foot (3,700 m2), modern subterranean spa, which placed #13 worldwide in Travel + Leisure's World's Best Hotel Spas in 2008. The Grove Park Inn is a member of the Historic Hotel of America, the official program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

With a history of serving guests for over 102 years, The Omni Grove Park Inn welcomes you with a tradition of Southern hospitality, rich heritage, and all the conveniences a modern traveler requires. Plan your next vacation to relax in our award-winning subterranean Spa, play a round on our Donald Ross designed golf course, and dine in one of our four locally sourced restaurants. Enjoy a vast array of art galleries, local craft breweries, and tons of venues for the performing arts here in the mountains of Asheville, North Carolina (Source).
AshA1_AerialGrove.png
AshA2_GPInn1.jpg
AshA3_GPInnWings.jpg
AshA4_OrigGPInn.jpg
AshA5_GPInnComplexAerial.jpg
AshB1_Lobby.jpg
AshB2_NewWing.jpg
AshB3_IndoorPool.jpg
AshB4_FitzgeraldRm.jpg
AshB5_Fitzgeralds.png

jenni122701

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have lived in various parts of WNC growing up, but most of my adult living has been in Swannanoa and Black Mountain. Last Nov. 1st we moved back into East Asheville. I am hoping my health keeps improving so I can get out and enjoy the sites Asheville has to offer a LOT more. My Hubby still works in Black Mountain at the NC State Veterans Home. Took a pic the other day of this pretty set of flowers outside his job.
bb006c04743b1782b3c2092afcbd1779.jpg

Jenni
IPhone 6 Plus/iPad Air

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Jenni - thanks for your contribution to this thread - the flowers are indeed lovely; and hope that your health continues to improve - I'm a retired physician (academic radiology professor - worked 34 years at the Wake Forest Medical Center - some of my former residents are located in Asheville). Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If anyone is planning a trip this Fall, Biltmore house is wonderful and have announced their Fall Festivities calendar. [emoji1303] Biltmore Estate announces fall calendar festivities

53e4de3d67b9bfabe75ec24cc6a6c3d7.jpg

Hi Jenni - that is a familiar picture of the back of the Biltmore House from the lagoon - about 4-5 years ago on a stay at the Inn on the estate, I took a Segway ride along the French Broad River and surrounding areas - my guide took the pic below of me pretty much in the same position. My first and only ride on a Segway - Susan refused to take a ride after our 'trial' practice. Dave :)
Biltmore3.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One important fact is that, unlike many other such estates, Biltmore is still owned by the descendants of its builder, George Washington Vanderbilt.

For those 'intrigued' by Scifan..'s comment above, please return to pages 4 & 5 of this thread - plenty of details there; also, let me re-plug an excellent recent book on the Biltmore House, Lady on the Hill - the history through generations of the family and the recovery of the estate first via a dairy, then a winery, and also tourism is fascinating (disclaimer - I have no relationship to those offering the book) - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 10.31.46 AM.png

jenni122701

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Jenni - that is a familiar picture of the back of the Biltmore House from the lagoon - about 4-5 years ago on a stay at the Inn on the estate, I took a Segway ride along the French Broad River and surrounding areas - my guide took the pic below of me pretty much in the same position. My first and only ride on a Segway - Susan refused to take a ride after our 'trial' practice. Dave :)
View attachment 73516

Love the pic! It's so pretty. I bet riding a Segway is so fun. The book you posted at well, I need to have a look at that for sure. Thanks so much! [emoji1303][emoji16]

Jenni
IPhone 6 Plus/iPad Air

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Love the pic! It's so pretty. I bet riding a Segway is so fun. The book you posted at well, I need to have a look at that for sure. Thanks so much! [emoji1303][emoji16]

Hi again Jenni - you likely will enjoy that book; there is a Kindle edition on Amazon but at the same price - I'd probably recommend the hardback because the illustrations will be much nicer (sometimes these Kindle versions eliminate and/or have poorer quality pics).

The Segway was a lot of fun on that property (no need to avoid cars or people if riding one in a city tour) - Susan will not ride one and does not like to see me on one - accidents and injuries do occur, in fact not uncommonly according to this report.

We took up horse riding in our early 60s which we did for a half dozen years (pic below of us in Myrtle Beach about to do a ride), but then a friend of ours (and about our age) fell off her horse and broke her pelvis in at least 4 places - SO, Susan wanted to give up that activity - donated our helmets to a local organization that uses horses w/ kids.

Now on a previous trip to the Biltmore Estate, we took the carriage (or wagon) tour which was great - those gigantic and beautiful Belgian draft horses pulled us along - pic of us below next to the team (now we are about 5 1/2 ft tall). Dave :)
MB_Horse4Web.png
SueDave1.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Biltmore House - 35' Douglas Fir Raised in the Dining Room for the 2016-17 Seasonal Festivities!

The Biltmore House decorates the house and the outside for the holiday season - the dining room Douglas fir was just raised which starts the festivities which extend into the following year - schedule HERE - we've been to the property many times over the decades but just once w/ our son & DIL around Christmas - the trees and decorations are indeed beautiful and worth seeing - SO, if you're in the area, have relatives visiting, then plan a visit. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 10.13.46 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Palace in the mountains--an American treasure!

Like me, Susan is also a Biltmore fan! :) For those just coming at the end of this thread and wondering about her comment above, i.e. 'palace in the mountains' - go back to the earlier pages of this thread for a lot of posts left by me and responding posts by others. Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Highlands, North Carolina - New Trip, August 2017!

Susan & I are on a five night trip to the North Carolina Mountains, staying in the one of the highest towns in the state, i.e. Highlands, at over 4,100+ ft - near the Georgia & South Carolina borders but just a 4-hr drive from home. Some pics below from the web - staying again at the Old Edwards Inn & Spa in yet a different part of the always expanding property complex. Eating quite well w/ some great mountain trout for me. The weather has been 'iffy' w/ intermittent rains, so not sure how many good photos I'll get - will post later. This is the land of mountain vistas and waterfalls - plan to see a few of the latter today unless the rains come? Dave :)
Highlands1a.jpg
Highlands1b.png
Highlands2.jpg
Highlands3.jpg
Highlands4.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Highlands, North Carolina - New Trip, August 2017!

Susan & I are on a five night trip to the North Carolina Mountains, staying in the one of the highest towns in the state, i.e. Highlands, at over 4,100+ ft - near the Georgia & South Carolina borders but just a 4-hr drive from home. Some pics below from the web - staying again at the Old Edwards Inn & Spa in yet a different part of the always expanding property complex. Eating quite well w/ some great mountain trout for me. The weather has been 'iffy' w/ intermittent rains, so not sure how many good photos I'll get - will post later. This is the land of mountain vistas and waterfalls - plan to see a few of the latter today unless the rains come? Dave :)
View attachment 79040 View attachment 79041 View attachment 79042 View attachment 79043 View attachment 79044
I expect that whatever the weather, you'll give us interesting posts and photos.

Most reactions

Latest posts