What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carolina Shore - Ocean, Seafood, History & More!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wrightsville Beach Return March 2023 - Last Visit in the above posts was October 2019!

Covid has put out travels on the back burner since early 2020 - we've done a couple meetings with our son & DIL in rental houses and a few to the NC mountains, BUT this is our first return to WV Beach in over 3 years (we routinely came to the coast 2-3x/year) - staying at the renovated Holiday Inn which looks more open in the lobby with brighter and lighter colors - we like the changes made. Weather coming in light rain all of the way, but Monday & Tuesday look fine w/ a light jacket (first pic below weather prediction ) - will return home on Wednesday (and should be a more relaxing drive than today!).

Below a few pics from the web of the 'new' appearance of the Holiday Inn (Lumina Resort added and operated by the IHG Resorts - two pics from our deck (one a pano) taken by me showing the gloomy weather - HOWEVER, the ocean is magnificent as always and glad to have a chance to see it again - will do some beach walks; and will add some posts if we do anything of interest - restaurants will be a big part of our trip - will re-visit some old favorites that are still around and try a lot of 'new' menus - one of our top choices in the past was Boca Bay, which has closed unfortunately.
WVBMar23A0.png
WVBMar23A1.jpg
WVBMar23A2.JPG
WVBMar23B.JPG
WVBMar23C.jpg
WVBMar23D.jpeg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I hope you have better weather for the rest of your stay. I suppose the ocean is still too cold for swimming at this time of year?
Thanks - the next 2 days should be fine and near 60º F - as to swimming this time of year, ocean temps shown below, so chilly for March, although wet suits help and surfers might be out. As to today, we saw no one in the ocean or the outdoor pool, BUT a handful of people were in the hot tub. There is also an indoor heated pool which we may use? Dave :)

Below is a graph of Historical Sea Surface Temperature for Wrightsville Beach. This has been derived from analysis of two decades of oceanographic satellite measurements of nearby open water. We have calculated the average water temperature variation around the year as well as the extremes that have been observed on each date. (Source)
Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 8.36.07 PM.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Brasserie du Soleil - Sunday Night Dinner

Our first dinner at a favorite restaurant still in business although our usual menu item, a shared shellfish tower is no longer offered, BUT not to fret - ;)

Our dinner below starting w/ oysters and a salad - the oysters were local from NC & Virginia with plenty of fresh liquor - both of us had the charred octopus (which I grill at home but their version was tenderer, so I must look for a new recipe); we shared the tuna and escargot, the latter unshelled in a delicious taragon sauce. Finally, a dessert we've had MUCHO times, 4 mini desserts (last pic below), usually a half dozen choices (our usual ones below). Nice start to a culinary beach adventure! 🤩

At the moment warmer today but still overcast - plan is more oysters (maybe lunch and dinner) and a trip to the Ft. Fischer NC Aquarium - Dave

OYSTERS ON THE HALF SHELL local NC & east coast oysters
HOUSE mixed greens, cucumber, tomatoes, sherry vinaigrette

CHARRED OCTOPUS green chickpea purée, shaved fennel, pickled fresno, confit potato, spiced chickpeas, gastrique
TUNA TARTARE shallot, caper, olive oil, lemon, sesame seed cracker
ESCARGOT parsley cream, garlic butter, puff pastry, curry oil

MINIS DESSERT (4) - Creme Brulee, Dark Chocolate Mousse, Key Lime Pie, NY Cheesecake with Seasonal Berries
WVBMar23E1.png
WVBMar23E2.jpg
WVBMar23E3.jpg
WVBMar23E4.jpeg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Shuckin' Shack Oyster Bar & NC Aquarium Fort Fisher

Monday partly cloudy but no rain and warmer - decided to drive down to the Ft. Fisher area - first had a light lunch at the Shuckin' Shack in Carolina Beach (probably our 4th or 5th visit); shared a combo dozen oysters and clams on the half shell as starters (Virginia clams and NC oysters), then split a lobster roll - I tried a local IPA draft beer which was excellent.

Then just down the road Fort Fisher historic site and the NC Aquarium nearby - instead of a single large aquarium, North Carolina has three smaller ones at Fort Fisher, Pine Knoll Shores (on Atlantic Beach), and Roanoke Island - we've been to each multiple times and all are unique. At the Fort Fisher location, one of the attractions is the albino alligator (see pic below); images below show a number of the aquarium's features - there is a 'touch tank' and some less than 2 month old baby Asian otters; Susan chanced being bitten by a phony shark and showing how she would be swallowed whole by the extinct Megalodon which makes 'Jaws' from the 1975 movie look like a puny wimp - 😳 Dave

WVBMar23F1a.jpg
WVBMar23F1b.png
WVBMar23G0.jpg
WVBMar23G1.JPG
WVBMar23G2.JPG
WVBMar23G3.JPG
WVBMar23G4.JPG
WVBMar23G5.JPG
WVBMar23G6.JPG
WVBMar23G7.JPG
WVBMar23G8.JPG
WVBMar23G9.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wonderful Afternoon Weather on the balcony!

After our return from the aquarium, we sat on the deck for a while - the sun was out and temperature much warmer - 3 pics below w/ a pano - there were about a dozen or so surfers in wet suits and a number of people dipping their feet in the ocean - on the second pic (far right), Johnnie Mercer's Pier; the island and pier have quite a history relative to hurricane storms - the newest pier reopened about 20 or so years ago (quote below) and is made of concrete, extending over 1200 feet into the Atlantic Ocean - one of many YouTube videos at the bottom. Dave

In 1937 the third pier in North Carolina, the Ocean View Pier, was constructed. In 1939 it was bought by Johnnie Mercer and renamed after its new owner. Hurricanes have really taken a toll on the pier. It was hit by hurricanes Hazel, Connie, Bertha, and Fran. After Fran in 1996, the pier was so damaged that it was closed until 2002, reopening with a whole new look. The current Johnnie Mercer's Pier is made of reinforced concrete and still stands today. (Source)
WVBMar23H1.JPG
WVBMar23H2.JPG
WVBMar23H3.JPG
WVBMar23H4.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tidewater Oyster Bar - Monday Night's Dinner

First, I like to mention restaurants on our trips in case those nearby or traveling through coastal North Carolina might want some food! Second, a NEW restaurant to us but recommended online at a number of websites, i.e. Tidewater Oyster Bar (menu at the link). From Wrightsville Beach, a 30+ min drive, longer during rush hour and also much construction and several detours along the way, so not a easy find.

An unassuming small restaurant in a shopping strip as shown below - we started w/ bowls of delicious clam & oyster stew, and then shared the large raw bar tower (last image below) - clams and oysters absolutely fresh and locally sourced. Also had a favorite New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (Kim Crawford) which went well w/ the shellfish.

I would love to go back but the drive is a pain and there are many similar (and more convenient) places in the Wilmington area. Bon Appétit - Dave

WVBMar23J1.png

WVBMar23J2.png

WVBMar23J3.jpeg

WVBMar23J4.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Holiday Inn - Renovated Fitness Center

This morning we used the renovated Fitness Center, small but one of my favorites because of the ocean views - makes walking on the treadmill a joy! First pic below is from their website which fails to show the outside scenery - last three pics are my own from this morning - the pano image best shows the extent of the ocean seen although the straight-in-line treadmills are curved as expected. All of the equipment appears new, so for those considering a stay here, the exercise options are certainly acceptable w/ a spectacular observation location. Dave
WVBMar23K1a1.jpeg
WVBMar23K1a2.JPG
WVBMar23K1b.JPG
WVBMar23K1c.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Cape Fear Museum - Part 1

The Cape Fear Museum is an exciting attraction that we've been visiting for decades but w/ COVID and not an every trip visit, out last stop has been about 6 years ago - today we returned and I was astounded at the renovations and expansion plus several additional exhibits - I thought that a couple of posts would suffice, but may do three - again, for those in the area, a must see!

The first two pics from the web (the rest are mine today) of the outside of the museum and the skeleton of the giant tree sloth at the side entrance. The Michael Jordan exhibit is an older one along with the Cape Fear area ecosystems - Jordan grew up in Wilmington and played college basketball at the U of NC in Chapel Hill (near Raleigh).

The next larger exhibit is a special one on Firefighters sponsored by many local and regional fire departments and associations - was well done! I'll continue with more in the next few posts. Dave
WVBMar23K2a.jpeg
WVBMar23K2b.jpg
WVBMar23K2c.JPG
WVBMar23K2d.JPG
WVBMar23K2e.JPG
WVBMar23K2f.JPG
WVBMar23K2g.JPG
WVBMar23K2h.JPG
WVBMar23K2i.JPG
WVBMar23K2j.JPG
WVBMar23K2k.JPG
WVBMar23K2l.JPG
WVBMar23K2m.JPG
WVBMar23K2n.JPG
WVBMar23K2o.JPG
WVBMar23K2p.JPG
WVBMar23K2q.JPG
WVBMar23K2r.JPG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cape Fear Museum - Part 1

The Cape Fear Museum is an exciting attraction that we've been visiting for decades but w/ COVID and not an every trip visit, out last stop has been about 6 years ago - today we returned and I was astounded at the renovations and expansion plus several additional exhibits - I thought that a couple of posts would suffice, but may do three - again, for those in the area, a must see!

The first two pics from the web (the rest are mine today) of the outside of the museum and the skeleton of the giant tree sloth at the side entrance. The Michael Jordan exhibit is an older one along with the Cape Fear area ecosystems - Jordan grew up in Wilmington and played college basketball at the U of NC in Chapel Hill (near Raleigh).

The next larger exhibit is a special one on Firefighters sponsored by many local and regional fire departments and associations - was well done! I'll continue with more in the next few posts. Dave
View attachment 99363View attachment 99364View attachment 99365View attachment 99366View attachment 99367View attachment 99368View attachment 99369View attachment 99370View attachment 99371View attachment 99372View attachment 99373View attachment 99374View attachment 99375View attachment 99376View attachment 99377View attachment 99378View attachment 99379View attachment 99380

Very good coverage of the museum, especially the firefighting exhibits. I remember the old Gamewell fire alarm boxes in my city over 50 years ago.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Cape Fear Museum - Part 2 - Dinosaurs Take Flight

A traveling exhibit organized by Silver Plume Exhibitions and the Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History - right up my alley! 🤩

I've been and still am reading about evolution, paleontology, dinosaurs, etc. (had two anthropology courses as an undergrad and even considered the field). This exhibit concentrates on the emergence of dinosaur flight as described below. The story is told in many ways from the description and the viewing of the exhibit - my pics don't do justice to the quality of the presentation - anyone near this museum should make a visit and if the exhibit travels to an area near you, then highly recommended! Dave

The Cape Fear Museum has opened its latest traveling exhibition “Dinosaurs Take Flight: The Art of Archaeopteryx” to be shown until May 14, 2023. “Dinosaurs Take Flight combines original artwork with fossils, replica skeletons, hands-on activities, and interactive media to tell the story of the evolution of flight. The exhibit also highlights paleo-artists, who create artwork based on scientific evidence of now-extinct animals. The Archaeopteryx (ahr-kee-OP-tuh-riks) is especially considered an important link between dinosaurs and birds. “The exhibition features over 50 pieces of original artwork, murals, sculptures, research-grade replicas of Archaeopteryx, a collection of real fossils representing German flora and fauna, video interviews, interactive components, and more. This mysterious animal is brought to life by the visions of painters Mark Hallett, Luis V. Rey, Julius Csotonyi, William Stout, and sculptors Gary Staab, and Dennis J. Wilson,” (Source).
WVBMar23K3a.png
WVBMar23K3b.JPG
WVBMar23K3c.JPG
WVBMar23K3d.JPG
WVBMar23K3e.JPG
WVBMar23K3f.JPG
WVBMar23K3g.JPG
WVBMar23K3h.JPG
WVBMar23K3i.JPG
WVBMar23K3j.JPG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a follow up suggestion for the museum, they should consider an exhibition on the evolution of flight in mammals, leading to the many species of modern bats.
Flight has evolved separately at least four times, in insects, Pterosaurs, birds and bats.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Cape Fear Museum - Part 3 - Cape Fear Area Historical Timeline Exhibit!

Boy since my last visit, this permanent exhibit of the area's history has been expanded, updated and improved - below are my pics (could have easily doubled or tripled the number!). Starts w/ the pre-colonial Native Americans, continuing with English colonization and the industries of the times (mainly forest products), then covering the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. The model of the Wilmington waterfront has always been a favorite and the Second Battle of Ft. Fisher narrated diorama has also been a favorite (probably have done a half dozen listens and been to the actual fort many times - near the aquarium). I could go 'on and on' but please ask some questions of interest and I'll try to answer and/or provide links. Dave

P.S. a number of these topics have been covered in previous posts in this thread for those interested.
WVBMar23K4a.JPG
WVBMar23K4b.JPG
WVBMar23K4c.JPG
WVBMar23K4d.JPG
WVBMar23K4e.JPG
WVBMar23K4f.JPG
WVBMar23K4g.JPG
WVBMar23K4h.JPG
WVBMar23K4i.JPG
WVBMar23K4j.JPG
WVBMar23K4k.JPG
WVBMar23K4l.JPG