Carolina Shore - Ocean, Seafood, History & More!

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Oct 29, 2013.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    WELL - Susan seems to have enjoyed our trip! :) The food was excellent - we had oysters every day! The weather nice and scenery superb as expected - might go back next spring when the trees and flowers are in bloom and explore the 'historic district' more? Dave

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Coffin Point Plantation and Lane of Oaks - New Photo Ordered!

David Shipper's photograph of the month is entitled Coffin Point Plantation - a few days ago, I posted his last month's choice Lovely Bones which I framed (check out the pictures thread). Just ordered the newest offering (first pic below) and plan to make another frame w/ quarter-sawn white oak since the trees are 'live oaks' w/ plenty of Spanish moss (pic of another framed print using white oak, so will look similar). But the reason for extending this thread is that the planation is on the sea island of St. Helena which is near Beaufort, South Carolina (see the aerial map).

Coffin Point Planation is described briefly below in the quote (from the link) and is famous for a half mile of oaks leading up to the house - from other searching, the property despite being on the National Registry is owned privately - no tour hours are listed. Another nearby attraction is Hunting Beach State Park - couple pics of the park w/ the ever present dead trees on the beach and a beautiful lighthouse. Susan & I have not been to Beaufort, SC in a while and have never explored the nearby barrier islands - must correct that soon!

Unfortunately, Hurricane Matthew last fall devastated the barrier islands of South Carolina, including St. Helena - second quote below a description of the early status of Hunting Beach State Park. Another story HERE about the damage on St. Helena island, location of the Coffin Plantation - both of these links have dramatic videos, if interested. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 1.32.45 PM.png NoMiterPic2 copy.JPG Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 1.30.56 PM.png 1024px-Coffin_Point_Plantation.jpg IMG_2979-M.jpg Hunting-Island-Beach-Lighthouse.jpg

3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
  4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
  5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Wrightsville Beach - Return Trip - New Rental Place - October 2017

Susan & I are back in Wilmington, NC and again staying on Wrightsville Beach (an annual or biannual trip for us, usually in the spring or fall - just a 4-hr drive from home). Instead of staying at our usual place, i.e. the Holiday Inn, we decided on a spacious oceanfront condo called Station One - we are up on the 8th floor w/ beautiful views from our rooms and the balcony of the ocean and of the inland waterways from just outside the door entrance (pics below a combo from the web and my own, the latter ones).

Tonight we ate at a perennial favorite, the Boca Bay Restaurant - three oyster options were available, i.e. James River from Virginia and two locally from coastal North Carolina, so we split a dozen of the latter two which were simply delicious - I had the grilled swordfish special for the night and Susan the shrimp & grits (one of her favs) - they also serve sushi, SO plenty of options for those who may be visiting the area. We will be repeating some of our previous activities discussed earlier in this thread, weather permitting - will take pics and post, especially of new or different experiences. As usual, listening to the ocean as I type - Dave :)
    Station1_A0.jpg Station1_A1.jpg Station1_A2.JPG Station1_A3.jpg Station1_A4.jpg Station1_B0.JPG Station1_B1.JPG Station1_B2.JPG Station1_B3.JPG Station1_B4.JPG Station1_B5.JPG Station1_B6.png

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for another excellent installment. The views are great.

#116 scifan57, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Morning Walk - Three Mile Loop

The condo building does not have a finesse center, so several pleasant options are a walk around the 'center' of the island or a long walk on the beach - this morning, I decided on doing the so-called 'loop' which was about 3 miles according to my pedometer - map below shows my 'path' - first heading north toward Johnnie Mercer's Pier (partly on the beach), then west crossing the HW74 bridge over Banks Channel, passing wetlands/park area/local government buildings, then east over the HW76 bridge and back to the condo. The sidewalks over the bridges have guard bars and are commonly used by walkers, runners, and stationary fishermen (one below w/ a fish).

Except for a few, the pics are all mine showing several nice houses, views of both sides of Banks Channel, the Pier, the local historic museum (small but comprehensive on the island's history), the 'wetlands' in the center (some kayakers in one image), and a small 'farmers market' in the park area. Pleasant walk w/ a variety of lovely sights, the ocean, and the inland waterways and islands. Dave :)
    WVB_WalkA1.PNG WVB_WalkA2.JPG WVB_WalkA3.png WVB_WalkA4.JPG WVB_WalkA5.JPG WVB_WalkA6.JPG WVB_WalkA7.JPG WVB_WalkA8.JPG WVB_WalkA9.JPG WVB_WalkB1.JPG WVB_WalkB2.JPG WVB_WalkB3.JPG WVB_WalkB4.JPG WVB_WalkB5.JPG WVB_WalkB6.JPG WVB_WalkB7.JPG WVB_WalkB8.JPG WVB_WalkB9.JPG

8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    An interesting walk with lots to see along the way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi SciFan.. - thanks again for looking at my travelogues - the 'loop' is a popular route on Wrightsville Beach w/ plenty of people walking or running - I assume many live on the island, a popular nearby 'bedroom community' for those having jobs in Wilmington. Yesterday afternoon, we returned to Airlie Gardens, which will be the next post. Dave :)

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Airlie Gardens - Afternoon Visit After My Walk

Airlie Gardens is just a few minutes from the Intracoastal Waterway Bridge off Wrightsville Beach, so about a 10 minute drive for us. We love to visit every other year and there are earlier posts w/ plenty of pics in this thread, but yesterday I took a bunch more w/ some new images. A little history quoted below (from link - much more there).

One of my favorite parts of the walk is seeing the magnificent live oaks - the so-called Airlie Oak is thought to be over 400 years old (probably a youngster when Jamestown was established in 1607?). The Bradley Creek Pier is another favorite w/ plenty of explanatory signs discussing the tidal creek and the flora and fauna - this time an egret was wading. There are many other sites and gardens to view - another highlight this trip is Susan's new friend on the bench below, and the yellow-bellied sliders are always a joy to see sunning on the log. Dave :)

AirlieA0.png AirlieA1.jpg AirlieA2.JPG AirlieA3.JPG AirlieA4.JPG AirlieA5.JPG AirlieA6.JPG AirlieA7.JPG AirlieA8.JPG AirlieA9.JPG AirlieB0.JPG AirlieB1.JPG AirlieB2.JPG AirlieB3.JPG AirlieB4.JPG AirlieB5.JPG AirlieB6.JPG AirlieB7.JPG AirlieB8.JPG AirlieB9.JPG