Virginia Mountains - Vistas, History, & Wineries

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Aug 23, 2015.

1. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    All great places. We're lucky to live within driving distance of so much beauty and history.

2. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    OK, I'll allow you to stop at that Kentucky arch. ;)

3. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I like the Homestead. It's a nice, comfortable Southern resort. I hear the mineral waters are therapeutic to bathe in, but we've never soaked. I'm curious to see the renovations.

4. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Aaah, luxury! There were lots of Roll Royces and Mercedes in the parking lot--in contrast to our lowly Camry.

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Great historic map, thanks! - I'm sure there are many concerning Civil War Winchester - I've never been to the town but would love to visit for many reasons, but just two as a beginning: 1) Daniel Morgan's Home; and 2) Patsy Cline's Home - plus, near Harper's Ferry National Park, which I have visited (site of John Brown's Raid) - so much to enjoy in that Valley! Dave :)

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's from that Civil War Today app I mentioned before.

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Roanoke, Virginia - Major City in the Valley

Roanoke is the largest city in southwest Virginia and a great place to visit - the town is just off the Blue Ridge Parkway and close to some of the topics already discussed, e.g. the Natural Bridge, Smith Mountain Lake, Lexington (my next post), and others. Quoted below are some selected paragraphs describing the importance of the city as a transportation center both in colonial times and when the railroads were the predominant means of long distance travel in the country (Source).

Roanoke is surrounded by mountains (see initial pics below of the city's skyline during the day and at night, plus nearby attractions, including mountain roads and Smith Mtn Lake). A great place to stay is the Hotel Roanoke which is an historic railroad hotel close to downtown (a crosswalk over the tracks makes easy access to the museums and excellent restaurants close by) - below are some views of the hotel and the crosswalk.

Just to mention three attractions: 1) Taubman Museum of Art in a new modern looking building as shown below - check the link, if interested; 2) Virginia Museum of Transportation - see second quote below along w/ a few pics; and 3) O. Winston Link Museum - he became famous for photographing a moribund technology, lugging his flashbulbs and Rolleiflex around the hills of Appalachia in search of steam locomotives - the museum is dedicated to his life w/ innumerable photographs of iconic steam locomotives - last four images of the outside/inside of the museum along w/ just two of his photos - check HERE for more. Dave :)

Roanoke_Map.pngRoanokeSkylineScale1.jpgRoanoke_Night.jpgRoanoke_Environs.jpgRoanoke_SmithMtnLake.jpgRoanoke_Hotel3.jpgRoanoke_Hotel2.jpgRoanoke_Hotel1.jpgRoanoke_HotelCrosswalk.pngRoanoke_TaubmanMuseum.jpgRoanoke_VATransportation.jpgRoanoke_Poster611.pngRoanoke_LinkMuseum.jpgRoanoke_LinkMuseumInside.pngRoanoke_LinkPhoto1.jpgRoanoke_LinkPhoto2.jpg

8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've always been interested in steam locomotives. The transportation museum would be something I would make sure to see.

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    There is also a wonderful North Carolina Transportation Museum which restored the 611 locomotive on the poster pic in my previous post - built around the 'Spencer Shops' which housed the many workers during the hey-days of locomotive transportation between the northeast and Florida.

But if you do get to Roanoke, VA, their transportation museum is wonderful but you definitely have to also go to the one on O. Winston Link - a little bio below (Source); plus, found some more of this photos online, even a picture of him (he is on the left) w/ his assistant and a few in color - he preferred night scenes in B&W. Dave :)

Winston.jpg 20121115-lens-link-slide-DQSX-jumbo.jpg arcadeandattica-b.jpg link.jpg NW-84-1024x802.jpg OWinston_Page131.jpg owlink2-999.jpeg P1040783.jpg 30810bb4.jpg linksteamzenith2.jpg

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You're right, the O. Winston Link museum is definitely worth a visit, based on all those excellent steam locomotive photos in your post.