Virginia Mountains - Vistas, History, & Wineries

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Aug 23, 2015.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Thanks - I've read (and own many) innumerable books on American music of all types, but especially jazz, blues, and country/bluegrass - in fact, the Ralph Peer book from my previous post was just published (late 2014) and looks like a fascinating read - now on my iPad and will start soon in the Kindle app! :)

Just took a few pics of two wall 'art works' (mainly for Susan) that we purchased on two separate trips to Abingdon - one at the Martha Washington Inn & the other at the Arts Depot (the one w/ a 'beard' - at least that's what I tell Susan - ;)) - both are woven like tapestries w/ 'attachments' - she just loves each one and they are certainly different from are usual wall hangings of prints. Dave
    AbingdonArt1.JPG P1000276.JPG

2. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The hotel is charming, and who doesn't like trains?

3. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Almost all of our art work is from trips we've taken, so each piece reminds us of our travels (as well as our good taste);)

4. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    When I previously looked at a great photo, I never realized that photographers usually take as many as 100 shots to get the right one. When we went to Yosemite many years ago I thought I had taken a dramatic photo of tree branches against the sky, but after being development they just looked like random sticks. Guess I'm no threat to Ansel.

5. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Since I'm all in black and blend in with the background, you can't tell if I'm fat or not. After several months of lessons, I fell off the horse, no injuries, but that destroyed the tiny bit of confidence that I had developed. (The instructors hadn't tightened the girth of the saddle enough, so the saddle started to tilt to the right.)

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Yep - that was the end of my 'glory years' on a horse - we started the lessons when I was still working and I put together a PowerPoint presentation for my radiologic technologists who wanted to see me on a horse - added a few 'cute' captions - cannot upload the entire presentation apparently, so below just four selected slides - some of the captions were for the sake of my techs - :D Dave
    Screen Shot 2015-09-13 at 12.25.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-09-13 at 12.26.12 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-09-13 at 12.26.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-09-13 at 12.27.00 PM.png

#106 giradman, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Homestead - New Trip in July 2019!

Well, looking back in this thread, I had just a few posts on this historic resort in western Virginia nestled in the Allegheny Mountains quite near the West Virginia border and probably the more famous Greenbrier Resort. Susan and I will soon be celebrating our 49th wedding anniversary here w/ good food and drink and some less strenuous activities compared to our previous visits, e.g. none of the longer trails anymore.

Below as an introduction are some pics of the front entrance for checkin and the back - the Spa-Pools (indoor and out w/ spring water)-Fitness Center to the far right. The Omni chain has taken over the resort and will report later on some of the changes made since this is a recent acquisition. The pics are a combination from the web and some of my own, including the two panoramic images taken late yesterday afternoon. More to come - Dave :)
    HomesteadA1.png HomesteadA2a.jpg HomesteadA2b.jpg HomesteadA3.jpg HomesteadA4a.png HomesteadA4b.png HomesteadA5a.JPG HomesteadA5b.JPG HomesteadA6a.JPG HomesteadA6b.jpg HomesteadA7.JPG HomesteadA8.JPG

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Homestead Resort - Brief History

As in the quotes below, the original resort was started as a lodge in 1766 - in 1818, Thomas Jefferson visited to 'take the waters' which may have contributed to his living to July 4, 1826, dying the same day as John Adams. The resort burned down in 1901, so the present property dates from the early part of the 20th century w/ changes and additions still being made. More history HERE for those interested and some pics from the web, both historic and some present ones from the inside, including lobby, indoor and several outdoor pools, portion of large fitness center, and some of the rooms. Dave :)

HomesteadB0.jpg HomesteadB1.jpg HomesteadB2.jpg HomesteadB3.jpg HomesteadB4.jpg HomesteadB5.jpg HomesteadB6.jpg HomesteadB7.jpg HomesteadB8.jpg HomesteadB9.jpg

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Fitness Center - Herb Garden - Village of Hot Springs - Restaurants in the Village - Serenity Garden

Well, our first morning was full - Susan headed for the Spa and choose a 'day purchase' in their Serenity Garden described below, while I headed for the Fitness Center which is surprisingly large and with all of the necessities - picked a treadmill w/ a view of the indoor pool; walked and read on my iPad.

After my time in the fitness area, I headed outside and passed the beautiful herb garden w/ a wonderful assortment used by the resort's chefs. Just across the street is the small but beautiful Village of Hot Springs w/ shops, restaurants, commercial businesses, and just 3-4 blocks in length along 'Main Street' - we will be dining at the Les Cochons d'Or (The Golden Pigs) tonight and the Sam Snead Tavern tomorrow night - I'll be doing some 'food posts' in case those viewing this thread plan a visit to the resort - plenty of meal options at the resort and the village area.

Returned to the resort to find Susan totally relaxed in the Serenity Garden - she could have spent the whole day there but had some other afternoon plans. Dave :)

HomesteadC1.png HomesteadC2a.JPG HomesteadC2b.JPG HomesteadC2c.JPG HomesteadC2d.JPG HomesteadC2e.JPG HomesteadC2f.JPG HomesteadC3a.JPG HomesteadC3b.JPG HomesteadC3c.JPG HomesteadC3d.JPG HomesteadC4a.JPG HomesteadC4b.JPG HomesteadC4c.JPG HomesteadC4d.JPG HomesteadC4e.JPG HomesteadC4f.JPG HomesteadC5a.JPG HomesteadC5b.JPG HomesteadC5c.JPG

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You look like you’re having a wonderful time! Thanks for an interesting story and photos.