Outer Banks - North Carolina

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, May 31, 2017.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Agree completely - in my 'Carolina Shore' travelogue, I discussed that move and believe put up a video - we'll be moving further south in two days and will visit the Hatteras Lighthouse on its new site - I'll check the other thread and repost the video. Dave :)

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Wild Horses of Corolla - Part 1

After a light lunch at the North Banks Restaurant & Raw Bar (shared a dozen oysters again!), we entered the old Corolla Village and went to the Corolla Wild Horse Fund Museum and Gift Shop - signed up for a 'horse tour' which is done in an open 4W drive truck w/ seat belts definitely needed - HW 12 ends as a paved road and continues on the beach for 10+ miles to the Virginia (VA) border (see pics and map below).

There are several communities living 'on the sand' w/ sand roads - pics below show a number of these houses w/ several from the web that are obviously expensive properties. One of the larger of these housing collections is the town of Carova near the VA state line - this was a BUMPY 2-hour tour in which we learned about the wild horses, which wander the beaches and the towns - we saw nearly 3 dozen horses and pics will be shown in the next post. Dave :)
    WH_A1.png WH_A2.jpg WH_A3.png WH_A4.jpg WH_A5.JPG WH_A6.JPG WH_B1.JPG WH_B2.JPG WH_B3.jpg WH_B4.jpg

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Wild Horses of Corolla - Part 2

The wild horses of North Carolina (and elsewhere, as in Virginia) are present in a number of coastal NC areas - quotes below from HERE - according to our excellent driver/guide (who lives on the sand in Carova), there are nearly a hundred horses in the Corolla district - these are strictly monitored and studied. The pics below are all mine from our tour today - enjoy a unique sight! Dave :)

WH_C1.JPG WH_C2.JPG WH_C3.JPG WH_C4.JPG WH_C5.JPG WH_C6.JPG WH_D1.JPG WH_D2.JPG WH_D3.JPG WH_D4.JPG WH_D5.JPG WH_D6.JPG

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Roanoke Island - Many Attractions

On Friday, we spent the day on Roanoke Island visiting the Festival Park in Manteo, the NC Aquarium, Fort Raleigh National Historic Site, and the Elizabethan II Gardens - these will be upcoming posts w/ many of my own photos plus pics from the web; but quoted below is a post that I left about the island in my Carolina Shore travelogue (August 2016), followed by another post from the same thread - nice introductions to the history of this first English attempt to settle the eastern Atlantic Coast. Dave :)

*********************************************************************************
    Roanoke Island - First English Colony on North Carolina Coast Found Deserted in 1590?

In 1585, the first attempt to establish an English settlement was on Roanoke Island (about a 4 1/2 hr drive for us - see maps below) - Sir Walter Raleigh was the impetus w/ the help of Elizabeth I behind the colony although he never traveled there - our state capital is named after him (and the state of Virginia after Elizabeth I, the Virgin Queen). The island lies between the mainland and the upper Outer Banks of North Carolina (site of the 1903 flight of the Wright Brothers).

Virginia Dare (grand daughter of John White, the governor of Roanoke Island) was the first 'English child' born in the American colonies. White was also an excellent artist and made many watercolors of the American Natives, their culture, and the nearby flora & fauna - an excellent exhibit of his original paintings was held at the NC Museum of History not too long ago (I may have posted pics in one of the forums here?). The Spanish Armada in 1585 delayed a return to Roanoke Island and on this day in 1590, White finally arrived and found a deserted colony which remains unexplained to this day.

On Roanoke Island today, there is a National Historic site (pics below) which has a number of attractions, including an outdoor drama, The Lost Colony - the now deceased actor & television star, Andy Griffith performed in the drama from 1947 to 1953 in the role of Raleigh. Also, one of the three NC Aquariums is located on the island and is worth a visit. Dave :)

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Roanoke Island - John White - David Stick (author) (Carolina Shore Travelogue, August 2016)

Well, I've reactivated this travel thread w/ a discussion of Roanoke Island, the first attempt to establish an English colony in the Americas in the 1580s; of course, the first 'permanent' one was Jamestown on the James River in Virginia in 1607 (all named after the English King, James I). John White (c. 1540 - c. 1593) was the governor of the Roanoke colony, and the grandfather of Virginia Dare, the first English child born in the Americas - he was also a wonderful watercolor artist and left numerous paintings of his observations of the Native Americans of the area and their culture, along w/ images of the flora and fauna in the vicinity. He returned in 1590 (delayed by funding issues because of the Spanish Armada of 1585) to find his colony deserted and never found his family.

White's paintings are preserved in the British Museum and nearly 10 years ago were on tour, including a visit to the NC Museum of History, which Susan & I attended - BOY, these are much better seen 'in person' and are in remarkable condition for watercolors from the late 16th century! Pics below are just a few of the examples of White's art - some are the paintings while others are engravings, especially from Theodor de Bry, as described in the quotes below.

Finally, David Stick (1919-2009), a resident of the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and a local historian who has written a number of books about the Banks - I own several of his publications, including the one shown below, Roanoke Island - The Beginnings of English America (1983, almost 400 years after the colony was started) - if you plan to visit the island, then the book is highly recommended. Dave :)

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Roanoke Island Festival Park - Our First Activity

Roanoke Island Festival Park is located on a small island in waterfront Manteo and has a number of activities, as shown on the first two pics below - recreated Indian Village and First Settlement are next - costumed guides are present at each outdoor site (including the ship) to explain the life of the times and the numerous artifacts (only a couple pics are shown next). Completed in the early 1980s to celebrate 400th anniversary of the first settlement, the Elizabeth II is an authentic reconstructed ship from the era - pics below w/ Susan ready to board.

The Adventure Museum & Gift Shop offers other activities, including a 50 minute historical recreation film which is well done. The remaining pics are various exhibits within the museum tracing the history of the island from the attempted English settlements, through the Civil War, settlement by African-Americans, and more modern events and activities. For those planning to visit Roanoke Island, I would suggest this attraction be the first visit, just a great orientation and a gem in the AAA guide. Dave :)

FestivePark_A1.jpg FestivePark_A2.jpg FestivePark_A3.jpg FestivePark_A4.JPG FestivePark_B1.jpg FestivePark_B2.JPG FestivePark_B3.JPG FestivePark_B4.JPG FestivePark_C1.JPG FestivePark_C2.JPG FestivePark_C3.JPG FestivePark_C4.JPG FestivePark_C5.JPG FestivePark_C6.JPG FestivePark_C7.JPG FestivePark_C8.JPG

#16 giradman, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island

The North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island is one of a number of coastal aquariums operated by the state; each has somewhat different themes, exhibits, and other features - in other travelogues, I've described the NC Aquarium at Ft. Fisher (near Wilmington) & the Pine Knoll Shores Aquarium on Atlantic Beach (near Morehead City). Two unique attractions is an albino alligator (pic below from the web - believe this one named Luna is shuffled between the NC aquariums - Source) - apparently only about 50 of these alligators exist in the world and cannot survive in nature; another attraction of interest to me was a film about the Monitor National Marine Sanctuary, an artificial underwater protected area at the site of the sunken Civil War ironclad. Dave :)
    RoanokeAq_1.jpg RoanokeAq_2.png RoanokeAq_3.gif RoanokeAq_4.jpg RoanokeAq_5.jpg RoanokeAq_6.jpg RoanokeAq_7.png RoanokeAq_8.jpg RoanokeAq_9.jpg

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Fort Raleigh National Historic Site & Elizabethan Gardens

After lunch, we also visited the Ft. Raleigh National Historic Site & the Elizabethan Gardens - the Ft. Raleigh site is shown below on the visitor's map w/ the gardens nearby (and also the outdoor theater) - this is a National Park Service property w/ a visitor's center containing an exhibit area & small gift shop; a short film is shown about the history of the attempted English settlement (see quote); pics below mainly of the 1585 earthen works fortifications, which have been extensively investigated and reconstructed in part (my own pic of its appearance on our visit). The remaining images are of the beautiful Elizabethan Gardens, admission fee required but the cost is modest - recommended. Dave :)

Today, we checked out of the Sanderling Resort and headed south, stopping at the Bodie Island Lighthouse, Pea Island Refuge Visitor's Center, and the Hatteras Lighthouse - topics of the next posts.

FtRaleigh_A1.png FtRaleigh_A2.png FtRaleigh_A3.png FtRaleigh_A4.JPG FtRaleigh_A5.jpg FtRaleigh_A6.JPG FtRaleigh_B1.JPG FtRaleigh_B2.JPG FtRaleigh_B3.JPG FtRaleigh_B4.JPG FtRaleigh_B5.JPG FtRaleigh_B6a.JPG FtRaleigh_B6b.JPG FtRaleigh_C1.JPG FtRaleigh_C2.JPG FtRaleigh_C3.JPG FtRaleigh_C4.JPG FtRaleigh_C5.JPG

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Bodie Island Lighthouse

After leaving Duck, we traveled south on HW 12 entering the Hatteras National Seashore - our first stop was at the Bodie Lighthouse on the island of the same name - description below along w/ many of my own photos - our trip continued over the aging Bonner Bridge which spans the Oregon Inlet between Bodie & Pea Islands, the latter the location of the Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge - our trip continue onto Hatteras Island, topic of the next post. Dave :)

BodieLH_1A.png BodieLH_1B.JPG BodieLH_1C.JPG BodieLH_2A.JPG BodieLH_2B.JPG BodieLH_2C.JPG BodieLH_3A.JPG BodieLH_3B.JPG BodieLH_4A.JPG BodieLH_4B.JPG BodieLH_5A.JPG BodieLH_5B.JPG BodieLH_6A.png BodieLH_6B.png

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Cape Hatteras Lighthouse

We continued down HW 12 on Hatteras Island (see map from previous post) to the town of Buxton, where Cape Hatteras is located along w/ its famous lighthouse (description in multiple quotes, same source) - the current Hatteras Lighthouse was first lit in 1870 and is the tallest brick lighthouse in the United States. Due to extensive beach erosion since the mid-1800s, the structure was in danger of collapsing into the ocean, and in 1999 was moved nearly 3000 ft to the present location seen below - the following post is from my Carolina Shore thread w/ a video of the relocation feat! Also, there is a two-story museum near the Hatteras Lighthouse which is worth exploring. Dave :)

P.S. both the Bodie & Hatteras Lighthouses can be climbed for a small fee - there are restrictions, especially for small kids - I decided to do neither climb at my age (and Susan was not interested); plus, the temperature outside was in the low 80s F and probably 90s+ inside the structures - climbing the Currituck Lighthouse was enough for me - ;)

HatterasLH_1A.JPG HatterasLH_1B.JPG HatterasLH_2A.JPG HatterasLH_2B.JPG HatterasLH_3A.JPG HatterasLH_3B.JPG HatterasLH_5.png HatterasLH_6.jpg HatterasLH_7.JPG HatterasLH_8.jpg