North Carolina Mountains - Beautiful Vistas & Great Retreats!

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Jul 26, 2013.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Biltmore House - 35' Douglas Fir Raised in the Dining Room for the 2016-17 Seasonal Festivities!

The Biltmore House decorates the house and the outside for the holiday season - the dining room Douglas fir was just raised which starts the festivities which extend into the following year - schedule HERE - we've been to the property many times over the decades but just once w/ our son & DIL around Christmas - the trees and decorations are indeed beautiful and worth seeing - SO, if you're in the area, have relatives visiting, then plan a visit. Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 10.13.46 AM.png

#101 giradman, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Palace in the mountains--an American treasure!

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Like me, Susan is also a Biltmore fan! :) For those just coming at the end of this thread and wondering about her comment above, i.e. 'palace in the mountains' - go back to the earlier pages of this thread for a lot of posts left by me and responding posts by others. Dave :)

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Highlands, North Carolina - New Trip, August 2017!

Susan & I are on a five night trip to the North Carolina Mountains, staying in the one of the highest towns in the state, i.e. Highlands, at over 4,100+ ft - near the Georgia & South Carolina borders but just a 4-hr drive from home. Some pics below from the web - staying again at the Old Edwards Inn & Spa in yet a different part of the always expanding property complex. Eating quite well w/ some great mountain trout for me. The weather has been 'iffy' w/ intermittent rains, so not sure how many good photos I'll get - will post later. This is the land of mountain vistas and waterfalls - plan to see a few of the latter today unless the rains come? Dave :)
    Highlands1a.jpg Highlands1b.png Highlands2.jpg Highlands3.jpg Highlands4.png

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I expect that whatever the weather, you'll give us interesting posts and photos.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Old Edwards Inn & Spa - Worth a Stay if in the Highlands Area

The Old Edwards Inn & Spa is a continuing evolving property - this is our third stay here over maybe a 12+ year period; we first stayed in the 'old' historic inn, then in a stand-alone suite room near the Lodge; and finally, in a lovely cottage room just across the street from the main inn. The first quote below indicates that the two buildings from the 1930s & the 1880s were combined to form the currently named inn - this occurred in 2001 when Art Williams purchased and renamed the properties; we probably stayed there on our first visit. Since that time, the Inn & Spa has expanded from just one to three blocks w/ a wide assortment of lodging offered and a tremendous increase in the amenities (see second quote and the pics). Next post will be some waterfalls pending the weather - Dave :)

P.S. the white circle on the site map includes the original two buildings - expansion above for 2 more blocks is shown - all since 2001!

OldEdwardsA1a.jpg OldEdwardsA1b.png OldEdwardsA1c.JPG OldEdwardsA2.JPG OldEdwardsA3.JPG OldEdwardsA4a.JPG OldEdwardsA4b.jpg OldEdwardsB1.JPG OldEdwardsB2.JPG OldEdwardsB3.jpg OldEdwardsB4.JPG OldEdwardsB5a.JPG OldEdwardsB5b.JPG OldEdwardsB6.JPG OldEdwardsC1.JPG OldEdwardsC2.jpg

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You could go there every year for the rest of your life and not run out of unique areas to stay in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi SciFan.. - you're right! I'm already thinking of the next lodging option at the Inn - and more are being built! Plus, the food has been great in this town - had our third dinner tonight w/ no complaints at all - for those living in the mid-Atlantic states who enjoy mountain get-aways, the Highlands is a great choice. Dave :)

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Waterfalls Near Highlands & Cashiers, North Carolina - Part 1

The Highlands & Cashiers Area of North Carolina is famous for scenic mountain beauty and numerous waterfalls, the latter a main reason to visit. Our first 'waterfall outing' is shown in the map below, simply a drive up HW 64W from the center of Highlands - we first made a short visit to Bridal Veil Falls (see first quote below from the link). We also stopped briefly at Bust Your Butt Falls (no one was swimming) - some images below, a combination of my own and several from the web; next up Dry Falls & Cullasaja Falls. Dave :)

BridalVeilFalls0.png BridalVeilFalls1.JPG BridalVeilFalls2.jpg BridalVeilFalls3.JPG BridalVeilFalls4.JPG BustButt1.JPG BustButt2.jpg BustButt3.jpg

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Waterfalls Near Highlands & Cashiers, North Carolina - Part 2

Dry Falls is one of the more spectacular waterfall visits - see first quote from link; a waterfall that one can walk behind and thus keep dry, although w/ a heavy flow the mist will cause some wetness (as on my visit the other day) - pics below mostly mine but some from the web, especially those w/ the winter scenes.

Cullassaja Falls - second quote below (from link) - we did not see these falls that day - the weather was overcast and started to rain during our visit at Dry Falls, so we returned to Highlands and did some shopping in the downtown area (w/ umbrellas) - we will return home in a few days on the same road, so may stop then. Pics below from the web w/ a dramatic video of the falls during the winter. Dave :)

DryFalls_Fall.jpg DryFalls_Me1.JPG DryFalls_Me2.JPG DryFalls_Me3.JPG DryFalls_Me4.JPG DryFalls_Me5.JPG DryFalls_Winter1.jpg DryFalls_Winter2.jpg CullasajaFalls1.jpg CullasajaFalls2.jpg