What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Carolina Mountains - Beautiful Vistas & Great Retreats!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for some more excellent travel stories.

Thanks again SciFan.. for your interest in these posts - we'll be leaving for home this morning (and may stop at some wineries just off HW421 (same ones as last year); plus, I'll have a few additional posts to add later. Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Blowing Rock Art & History Museum (BRAHM) - Part 1

On our last full day in Blowing Rock, our afternoon activities included a walk around Bass Lake (previous description & many pics in earlier posts in this thread), then a visit to the Blowing Rock Art & History Museum, our third visit to the new building which opened in 2011 (see first quote from link) - the museum has rotating exhibits which often are surprisingly excellent for such a small place - present ones are: 1) Impressions of the Land; 2) Romare Bearden - Li'l Dan, the Drummer Boy: A Civil War Story; 3) The Photography of Lewis Hine: Exposing Child Labor in North Carolina, 1908-1918; and 4) The Village of Blowing Rock: Exploring Our History. I'll discuss the first two exhibits in this post and the Lewis Hine photography in the next. The Blowing Rock exhibit is a permanent presentation of the town's history.

Impressions of the Land features painted landscapes from around the late 19th to early 20th century by American artists - despite being an 'art aficionado', many of the names were unknown to me but the paintings were beautifully done, many w/ bold brush strokes - below a pic of the gallery (3 of 4 walls) and just 3 of the many paintings on view.

Romare Bearden - Li'l Dan, the Drummer Boy: a Civil War Story - Romare Bearden, a native North Carolinian was a well known American artist and humanist (second quote from link) - he worked in many different media, and wrote and illustrated the children's book presented in this exhibit (his only book - still available - the one shown from Amazon has a CD narrated by Maya Angelou, a Winston-Salem inhabitant in her last years. Pics below show the artist, the book cover, and portions of the exhibit; plus, his work 'The Folk Musicians' which is more representative of his style (for those interested, google his name and hit 'images'). Dave :)

The Blowing Rock Art & History Museum (BRAHM) is a non-profit organization located at 159 Chestnut Street (on the corner of Chestnut and Main Streets) in Blowing Rock, North Carolina. Its mission is to promote visual arts, history and heritage of the mountains through educational programs, exhibitions, and significant permanent collections. The Blowing Rock Art and History Museum (BRAHM) opened its new building on October 1, 2011, it was the culmination of more than a decade of effort by a dedicated group of supporters determined to make the project a success. The Museum was organized in 1999 in response to a Charlotte art collector’s desire to find a permanent home for his collection of works by North Carolina native and seasonal Blowing Rock resident Elliott Daingerfield, an important artist at the turn of the 20th century.

Romare Howard Bearden was born on September 2, 1911, to Howard and Bessye Bearden in Charlotte, North Carolina, and died in New York City on March 12, 1988, at the age of 76. His life and art are marked by exceptional talent, encompassing a broad range of intellectual and scholarly interests, including music, performing arts, history, literature and world art. Bearden was also a celebrated humanist, as demonstrated by his lifelong support of young, emerging artists. His collages, watercolors, oils, photomontages and prints are imbued with visual metaphors from his past in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, Pittsburgh and Harlem and from a variety of historical, literary and musical sources.
BRAHM_A1.jpg
BRAHM_A2.JPG
BRAHM_A3.jpg
BRAHM_A4.JPG
BRAHM_A5.JPG
BRAHM_A6.JPG
BRAHM_A7.JPG
BRAHM_B1.jpg
BRAHM_B2.jpg
BRAHM_B3.png
BRAHM_B4.JPG
BRAHM_B5.JPG
BRAHM_B6.JPG
BRAHM_B7.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For those wondering from the photograph of Romare Bearden, he was a light-skinned African-American who could have easily passed as 'white' but did not - some interesting info in the quote below w/ link - Dave :)

Romare Bearden (1911--1988) was not only one of the most talented American artists of the 20th Century but also one of the most complicated. An extremely light-skinned African-American, he easily could have lived his life as white but refused to do so, devoting most of his art to African-American life and the struggles of blacks to achieve respect and equality. (A star baseball pitcher at Boston University as well as for the all-black minor-league Boston Tigers, he declined an offer to pitch for the major-league Philadelphia Athletics in 1930 because management insisted he pretend to be white.) (Source)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Blowing Rock Art & History Museum (BRAHM) - Part 2

The Photography of Lewis Hine: Exposing Child Labor in North Carolina, 1908-1918 - I spent the most time in this exhibit; the expansion of the textile industry in the late 19th & early 20th centuries in North Carolina directly impacts on the mill owners of the times, including the Cone Brothers who had three large mills operating in Greensboro, NC - they were directly involved in organizing 'mill villages', stores, and hiring entire families to work in the mills for LONG hours (66 hour per week) and extremely low wages.

Edited from the museum's brochure: "In 1908, Hine visited textile mills in North Carolina to document the exploitation of child workers. Hine and others wanted people to see how horrible working conditions were for many children. The exhibit showcases 40 of Hine's photographs, discusses the history, provides insight into everyday life in NC textile mills and villages, and concludes w/ a look at child labor today." The exhibit was organized by the NC Museum of History. Below are some of the pics & history - click to enlarge for reading, if interested. Dave :)

Lewis Wickes Hine (September 26, 1874 – November 3, 1940) was an American sociologist and photographer. Hine used his camera as a tool for social reform. His photographs were instrumental in changing child labor laws in the United States. In 1908 Hine became the photographer for the National Child Labor Committee (NCLC), leaving his teaching position. Over the next decade, Hine documented child labor, with focus on the use of child labor in the Carolina Piedmont, to aid the NCLC's lobbying efforts to end the practice. (Source)

Hine's work for the NCLC was often dangerous. As a photographer, he was frequently threatened with violence or even death by factory police and foremen. At the time, the immorality of child labor was meant to be hidden from the public. Photography was not only prohibited but also posed a serious threat to the industry. To gain entry to the mills, mines and factories, Hine was forced to assume many guises. At times he was a fire inspector, postcard vendor, bible salesman, or even an industrial photographer making a record of factory machinery. (Source)
Hine_A1.JPG
Hine_A2.png
Hine_A3.JPG
Hine_A4.JPG
Hine_A5.JPG
Hine_B1.JPG
Hine_B2.JPG
Hine_B3.JPG
Hine_B4.JPG
Hine_B5.JPG
Hine_B6.JPG
Hine_B7.JPG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Blowing Rock Art & History Museum (BRAHM) - Part 2

The Photography of Lewis Hine: Exposing Child Labor in North Carolina, 1908-1918 - I spent the most time in this exhibit; the expansion of the textile industry in the late 19th & early 20th centuries in North Carolina directly impacts on the mill owners of the times, including the Cone Brothers who had three large mills operating in Greensboro, NC - they were directly involved in organizing 'mill villages', stores, and hiring entire families to work in the mills for LONG hours (66 hour per week) and extremely low wages.

Edited from the museum's brochure: "In 1908, Hine visited textile mills in North Carolina to document the exploitation of child workers. Hine and others wanted people to see how horrible working conditions were for many children. The exhibit showcases 40 of Hine's photographs, discusses the history, provides insight into everyday life in NC textile mills and villages, and concludes w/ a look at child labor today." The exhibit was organized by the NC Museum of History. Below are some of the pics & history - click to enlarge for reading, if interested. Dave :)

View attachment 79545 View attachment 79546 View attachment 79547 View attachment 79548 View attachment 79549 View attachment 79550 View attachment 79551 View attachment 79552 View attachment 79553 View attachment 79554 View attachment 79555 View attachment 79556
Thanks for some more excellent posts. In every post I learn things about the United States I’ve never heard about before.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for some more excellent posts. In every post I learn things about the United States I’ve never heard about before.

Well, I'm pretty well informed about the textile industry and its history in North Carolina, but those photos of the kids being exploited at their ages were indeed sad, especially that the practice was completely acceptable to those running the mills at that time - North Carolina still has a major textile presence in the United States (and globally) but obviously the 'working conditions' have improved! ;)

Also, so much of early 20th century American southern culture is interrelated - a nice example is the book described below, Linthead Stomp ('linthead' a derogatory term for a mill worker) about the development of early country music - the mills and their villages were important centers for the emergence of this music - excellent book and recommended for those interested. Dave :)

Contrary to popular belief, the roots of American country music do not lie solely on southern farms or in mountain hollows. Rather, much of this music recorded before World War II emerged from the bustling cities and towns of the Piedmont South. No group contributed more to the commercialization of early country music than southern factory workers. In Linthead Stomp, Patrick Huber explores the origins and development of this music in the Piedmont's mill villages. Huber offers vivid portraits of a colorful cast of Piedmont millhand musicians, including Fiddlin' John Carson, Charlie Poole, Dave McCarn, and the Dixon Brothers, and considers the impact that urban living, industrial work, and mass culture had on their lives and music. Linthead Stomp celebrates the Piedmont millhand fiddlers, guitarists, and banjo pickers who combined the collective memories of the rural countryside with the upheavals of urban-industrial life to create a distinctive American music that spoke to the changing realities of the twentieth-century South.
Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 11.14.24 PM.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On The Way Home - Stop for Light Lunch & Two More Wineries

Leaving Blowing Rock, we first traveled on the Blue Ridge Parkway (4 pics below from several of the many overlooks) - coming down the Continental Divide, temperature rose from 66º F to 76º F - heading east on HW421 we exited on Windsor Road and stopped at the Shiloh General Store for some deli made sandwiches - since our last visit, the store has been greatly expanded and offers a LOT of unusual items, including homemade breads - pics below of the store w/ Susan after our lunch, and some horses on a farm right across the street (Amish store).

After lunch, a couple of wine tastings - North Carolina now has 5 AVAs (American Viticultural Areas) and just over 180 wineries now - amazing (NC Wine Org Guide). We were in the southern portion of the Yadkin Valley & Swan Creek AVAs (see maps of the AVAs circled and also the places visited). Our first stop was Shadow Springs Vineyard - tasted a lot of good wines and bought a half case (reds & whites for me & a dessert wine for Susan) (pics below w/ several of mine). Next stop was Laurel Gray Vineyards, a local favorite and probably our sixth visit? As usual, many good wines - purchased another half case (10% discount both wineries w/ that amount) - reds and whites for me (their oaked chardonnay is one of the best that I've had in North Carolina over the years - bought 2 bottles) and 2 bottles for Susan (some favorites from the past); last pics below of this visit - then home by about 2 PM - nice end to our Blowing Rock trip. Dave :)
Home_A1.JPG
Home_A2.JPG
Home_A3.JPG
Home_A4.JPG
Home_A5.png
Home_A6.png
Home_A7a.JPG
Home_A7b.JPG
Home_A8a.JPG
Home_A8b.JPG
Home_B1.jpg
Home_B2.jpg
Home_B3.JPG
Home_B4.JPG
Home_B5.png
Home_B6.jpg
Home_B7.JPG
Home_B8.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Blowing Rock & Chetola Resort - Cancellation of a Bar Harbor, Maine Vacation!

Well, I was planning for my next travelogue to be about the Maine Coast, the resort town of Bar Harbor, and Acadia National Park - planning to stay at the Bar Harbor Inn for five nights (first four pics below of our potential vacation) - however, both of our airline flights were cancelled - they could only promise to get us to Bangor, Maine by midnight - we had a rental car and an hour+ drive to Bar Harbor - could have gone the next day but only 4 nights for that distance did not seem worth the effort so we cancelled - will have all of our airfare refunded.

SO, what to do - we were at the airport, retrieved our checked-in luggage, and did not want to go home - thus, my suggestion was to return to the NC mountains for 3 nights - rented a 2-BR condo at the Chetola Resort (subject of many posts in the history of this thread) in the Adirondacks building (some pics below w/ one of the living room/kitchen area) - so got onto HW 421, then the Blue Ridge Parkway (some pics below from one of the overlooks), and finally to our condo - felt like returning home.

Now we had been to Maine a number of times, including Bar Harbor - my 'main' interest in this trip was to eat lobster daily along w/ oysters and clams, so have missed that opportunity. Not a whole lot about Blowing Rock that I've not already covered, but will take a few pics and add some additional posts. Dave :)
BRockJun18A0.png
BRockJun18A1.jpg
BRockJun18A2.jpg
BRockJun18A3.jpg
BRockJun18A4.jpg
BRockJun18A5.png
BRockJun18A6.jpg
BRockJun18A7.JPG
BRockJun18A8.JPG
BRockJun18A9.JPG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Blowing Rock & Chetola Resort - Cancellation of a Bar Harbor, Maine Vacation!

Well, I was planning for my next travelogue to be about the Maine Coast, the resort town of Bar Harbor, and Acadia National Park - planning to stay at the Bar Harbor Inn for five nights (first four pics below of our potential vacation) - however, both of our airline flights were cancelled - they could only promise to get us to Bangor, Maine by midnight - we had a rental car and an hour+ drive to Bar Harbor - could have gone the next day but only 4 nights for that distance did not seem worth the effort so we cancelled - will have all of our airfare refunded.

SO, what to do - we were at the airport, retrieved our checked-in luggage, and did not want to go home - thus, my suggestion was to return to the NC mountains for 3 nights - rented a 2-BR condo at the Chetola Resort (subject of many posts in the history of this thread) in the Adirondacks building (some pics below w/ one of the living room/kitchen area) - so got onto HW 421, then the Blue Ridge Parkway (some pics below from one of the overlooks), and finally to our condo - felt like returning home.

Now we had been to Maine a number of times, including Bar Harbor - my 'main' interest in this trip was to eat lobster daily along w/ oysters and clams, so have missed that opportunity. Not a whole lot about Blowing Rock that I've not already covered, but will take a few pics and add some additional posts. Dave :)
View attachment 82315 View attachment 82316 View attachment 82317 View attachment 82318 View attachment 82319 View attachment 82320 View attachment 82321 View attachment 82322 View attachment 82323 View attachment 82324
Have you ever gone further up the coast into New Brunswick and Nova Scotia? I’ve been to Saint John, New Brunswick and Digby, Nova Scotia. The tides at Digby were about 25'. There are the Famous reversing falls on the Saint John river in Saint John, New Brunswick. Reversing Falls - Wikipedia
Benedict Arnold lived for a time in Saint John and a building plaque marks the location of his house. Benedict Arnold • My New Brunswick

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you ever gone further up the coast into New Brunswick and Nova Scotia? I’ve been to Saint John, New Brunswick and Digby, Nova Scotia. The tides at Digby were about 25'. There are the Famous reversing falls on the Saint John river in Saint John, New Brunswick. Reversing Falls - Wikipedia
Benedict Arnold lived for a time in Saint John and a building plaque marks the location of his house. Benedict Arnold • My New Brunswick

Hi Scifan.. - have not been to New Brunswick - BUT, we did do a week long trip probably 20 years ago now (can't remember exactly) to Nova Scotia and PEI - flew into Halifax and rented a car - drove along the southern shore to Cape Breton Island and stayed at the Keltic Lodge - travelled the Cabot Trail; then went to Prince Edward Island for a few days - came back to Nova Scotia and stopped at Peggys Cove before spending our last few days in Halifax - missed going to the Bay of Fundy - a wonderful trip w/ plenty of lobsters to eat, however, a lot more to see! Dave :)
Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 7.28.09 PM.png
210.jpeg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The 'Blowing Rock' and Bass Lake - Part 1

The town of Blowing Rock is named for the unusual rock formations in the area, particularly the 'Blowing Rock' which is a local private attraction worth the admission fee - the legend of the rock is quoted below - the actual 'Blowing Rock' is small but part of a long ridge - climbing is permitted (at your own risk) - apparently the updraft of winds from beneath the rock can even bring thrown objects to rise (I've never climb the rock and thrown my hat over to test the theory). Pics below of the rock (one of the first tourist attractions in the state) and the surrounding beautiful and spectacular vistas of the Blue Ridge Mountains, including Grandfather Mountain, which has been discussed many times in this thread. Part 2 will continue w/ some more images from today including a few taken at Bass Lake. Dave :)

Blowing Rock also has plenty of myths and legends. Most notably, the story of the Chickasaw Chieftain's daughter. Worried a white man was advancing on his daughter, he moved her to the remote location of Blowing Rock. One day, she saw a brave Cherokee hunting - she shot an arrow at him as a form of flirtation, and the two fell in love. One day, the sky grew red and the maiden and her brave love worried trouble was to come. She begged him not to leave, but torn by his duty, he leaped from the rock. Heartbroken, she prayed daily to the Great Spirit, until one day, the sky reddened again and from the bottoms of the gorge her love returned - a gust of wind blew him back onto the rock. From that a day, a strong wind has blown upwards from the rock and this story is at least how some describe the strange phenomenon of Blowing Rock. (Source)
BRockJun18B1.jpg
BRockJun18B2.jpg
BRockJun18B3.JPG
BRockJun18B4.JPG
BRockJun18B5.JPG
BRockJun18B6.JPG
BRockJun18C1.JPG
BRockJun18C2.JPG
BRockJun18C3.JPG
BRockJun18C4.JPG
BRockJun18C5.JPG
BRockJun18C6.JPG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Scifan.. - have not been to New Brunswick - BUT, we did do a week long trip probably 20 years ago now (can't remember exactly) to Nova Scotia and PEI - flew into Halifax and rented a car - drove along the southern shore to Cape Breton Island and stayed at the Keltic Lodge - travelled the Cabot Trail; then went to Prince Edward Island for a few days - came back to Nova Scotia and stopped at Peggys Cove before spending our last few days in Halifax - missed going to the Bay of Fundy - a wonderful trip w/ plenty of lobsters to eat, however, a lot more to see! Dave :)
View attachment 82325 View attachment 82326
When I was in Halifax while serving in the navy in the late 70’s and early 80’s the Citadel was undergoing a massive restoration where they disassembled all the stone walls and rebuilt them. The turf ramparts were replaced and they even had a full set of cannon cast to replicate the original armament. The army museum was in the Citadel and one of the highlights was an original VI buzz bomb, the first cruise missile used in combat by the Germans in WWII.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When I was in Halifax while serving in the navy in the late 70’s and early 80’s the Citadel was undergoing a massive restoration where they disassembled all the stone walls and rebuilt them. The turf ramparts were replaced and they even had a full set of cannon cast to replicate the original armament. The army museum was in the Citadel and one of the highlights was an original VI buzz bomb, the first cruise missile used in combat by the Germans in WWII.

Our trip to Nova Scotia was likely in the late 80s or early 90s and we did visit the Citadel - don't remember a lot from that far back (I've been to SO many of these forts and fortresses over the decades) - most recently to Fort York in Toronto (discussed in my travelogue recently) - Dave :)
5.-Halifax-Citadel-(c)-Parks-Canada_R.-Garnett.jpg
Aerial_Citadel_4897_SRobb_sm.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The 'Blowing Rock' and Bass Lake - Part 2

The Blowing Rock attraction is enjoyable w/ many spectacular views of the surrounding mountains - the 'Blowing Rock' is about 4000 ft above sea level (Grandfather Mountain has the 'Mile High Bridge' and is the highest peak in the vicinity - Mt. Mitchell to the west is the highest mountain in the USA east of the Mississippi River). Below just some more pics of the mountain scenery followed by a few pics of Bass Lake, again featured many times in this thread - the 'Bass Lake Loop' is an easy walk about 3/4 of a mile - I did a couple of laps - a lot of Canadian geese and a single swan seen - the Cone Manor way up on the hill is always a pleasant site (about a 2+ mile walk uphill from the lake - have never done it!). Dave :)
BRockJun18D1.JPG
BRockJun18D2.JPG
BRockJun18D3.JPG
BRockJun18D4.JPG
BRockJun18D5.JPG
BRockJun18D6.JPG
BRockJun18E1.JPG
BRockJun18E2.png
BRockJun18E3.png
BRockJun18E4.JPG
BRockJun18E5.JPG
BRockJun18E6.JPG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The 'Blowing Rock' and Bass Lake - Part 2

The Blowing Rock attraction is enjoyable w/ many spectacular views of the surrounding mountains - the 'Blowing Rock' is about 4000 ft above sea level (Grandfather Mountain has the 'Mile High Bridge' and is the highest peak in the vicinity - Mt. Mitchell to the west is the highest mountain in the USA east of the Mississippi River). Below just some more pics of the mountain scenery followed by a few pics of Bass Lake, again featured many times in this thread - the 'Bass Lake Loop' is an easy walk about 3/4 of a mile - I did a couple of laps - a lot of Canadian geese and a single swan seen - the Cone Manor way up on the hill is always a pleasant site (about a 2+ mile walk uphill from the lake - have never done it!). Dave :)
View attachment 82341 View attachment 82342 View attachment 82343 View attachment 82344 View attachment 82345 View attachment 82346 View attachment 82347 View attachment 82348 View attachment 82349 View attachment 82350 View attachment 82351 View attachment 82352
You've certainly got some spectacular views and scenery there. I like the angled rock outcrops that seem to be everywhere.

Most reactions

Latest posts