What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name a Pet Peeve!

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People who go to a fast food restaurant and order two triple patty double bacon cheeseburgers, extra large fries, large onion rings, two apple pies and a large chocolate shake then make a point of getting a DIET soda.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

You probably don't realize this, but there is scientific reasoning behind that for a lot of people.

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or why does everybody ask how you're doing when in their little selfish world they have absolutely no desire to know? I often answer that I don't know or that I have no time right now to seek analytical help.

This one gets me. I usually ignore it or tell them exactly how I feel. That either shuts them up, or I get a whole slew of follow up questions, depending on the person.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People who go to a fast food restaurant and order two triple patty double bacon cheeseburgers, extra large fries, large onion rings, two apple pies and a large chocolate shake then make a point of getting a DIET soda.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

You probably don't realize this, but there is scientific reasoning behind that for a lot of people.

And that would be?

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score

And that would be?

Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course! But isn't that a medical reason as opposed to a scientific one?

Medicine is science. The science behind it, is that there is too much sugar in regular soda so they drink diet. Diet coke with a burger is much better than water with a burger.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

And that would be?

That is debatable. Burgers have a lot of sugar in them and fries are carbohydrates and what about the over sweet Apple ( Oops!, force of habit) apple pies? All that stuff without the soda would kill or severely affect anyone with diabetes.

It is scientific in a way... It's psychological programming...

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trky said:
Medicine is science. The science behind it, is that there is too much sugar in regular soda so they drink diet. Diet coke with a burger is much better than water with a burger.

Would water not have less sugar than Diet Coke? I don't see how it would be healthier than water.

Water has 0 sugar.

Diet coke has 0 sugar.

Regular Coke has 40.5 sugar.

Water is healthier, there is no doubt about that, but that wasn't the argument.

And that would be?

That is debatable. Burgers have a lot of sugar in them and fries are carbohydrates and what about the over sweet Apple ( Oops!, force of habit) apple pies? All that stuff without the soda would kill or severely affect anyone with diabetes.

It is scientific in a way... It's psychological programming...

It's not really debatable. Burgers have very little sugar. A big mac has 9 grams of sugar. A large fry has 0 grams of sugar. An apple pie has 13 grams of sugar. In total that's 22 grams of sugar. A large coke at mcdonalds has 86 grams of sugar. That's almost 4 times the sugar of the rest of the meal just by itself.

Without the soda you are having a normal meal (sugar wise, which is what we were discussing) and any diabetic could break down a meager 22 grams of sugar for one meal no problem. What they cannot break down, what actually pushes their sugar levels up into the danger zone is the coke. That's why a lot of people drink diet with a large meal. Some fatty's do it just to make themselves feel better I'm sure; But diabetics do it all the time just to keep their sugar levels within tolerable limits.

This is purely scientific. There is nothing about this that is psychological. Psychology is the science of the mind. There is nothing mental about this, just pure hard numbers and facts.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Would water not have less sugar than Diet Coke? I don't see how it would be healthier than water.

Not a debate but did you knew that Diet Coke has the same amount of calories as Coke Zero.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm a medical professional. I'm fully aware of scientific and medical causes for obesity. But I also know there are many social and personal habits and behaviors, as well as attitudes regarding food, that contribute significantly to the development of obesity, diabetes and poor health in general.

Trust me, there's a rationale for my peeve. But I don't expect you to understand it.

Last edited:

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Trky said:

Diabetes is mainly a manifestation of the body's ability (or inability) to process simple and complex sugars as well as alternate fat metabolism, these things in turn are linked to other problems. Believe it or not, diabetes CAN be prevented and CAN be controlled by proper diet, among other things.

Citing diabetes as an excuse for eating poorly is not only ignorant, it's dangerous..

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
New pet peeve:

Monster truck rally and auto sales commercials advertising spokesmen practically yelling and using stupid effects to boom their voices as if half of America has the hearing level of Mr. Magoo.

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trky said:

Diabetes is mainly a manifestation of the body's ability (or inability) to process simple and complex sugars as well as alternate fat metabolism, these things in turn are linked to other problems. Believe it or not, diabetes CAN be prevented and CAN be controlled by proper diet, among other things.

Citing diabetes as an excuse for eating poorly is not only ignorant, it's dangerous..

I'm well aware of what diabetes is and how to combat it.

I never cited diabetes as an excuse for eating poorly.

What I did do, is combat your hatred for people ordering large amounts of food with a diet beverage. Per your post you insinuated that people do this in an attempt to be healthy, which isn't the case.

Normally when someone has an alternate opinion and a debate is started both sides present facts to show their view. I like your style though. Simply wait until the other person has posted facts and then try and change the whole topic of debate while calling them ignorant. I'll have to try that some time. That's super classy.

Most reactions

Latest posts