What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My London trip

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Btw: Welcome to Europe! :)
Did you ever visit my continent before?

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good that you had a safe journey to England sci. Our flights to Heathrow take about 23 hours, so jet lag can be a problem. Did you find that a worry, it looked to be a solid lot of flying too? Enjoy your stay over there.
Andrew

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good that you had a safe journey to England sci. Our flights to Heathrow take about 23 hours, so jet lag can be a problem. Did you find that a worry, it looked to be a solid lot of flying too? Enjoy your stay over there.
Andrew
Thanks, I will.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I arrived at my hotel this morning, the room wasn't ready yet so I decided to take a walk around the Tower. Here are some photos I shot earlier today.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The lower areas of the wall, with the more regular stonework and the red brick banding are original Roman work from about 200A.D. The higher portions are medieval and later restorations.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The Red poppies in the moat are a commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the start of World War I. Each poppy represents a British soldier who died in action during the war. By November 11th, there will be over 800,000 of them.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The smaller windows at the top left of this view of the Tower are the only original window openings left. The others were all greatly enlarged after the Tower was no longer needed as an active defence work.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Neat, scifan! I was going to ask you if you had plans to see the Tower and that fabulous poppy display.

Did you know you can buy one of those poppies after the exhibition is over? They cost about $90 (USD), after shipping costs are added in.

Bit rich, but oh my, I'm still debating on it...

Marilyn

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I arrived at my hotel this morning, the room wasn't ready yet so I decided to take a walk around the Tower. Here are some photos I shot earlier today.View attachment 59463View attachment 59464 View attachment 59465 View attachment 59466 View attachment 59467 View attachment 59468 View attachment 59469 View attachment 59470
The lower areas of the wall, with the more regular stonework and the red brick banding are original Roman work from about 200A.D. The higher portions are medieval and later restorations.
View attachment 59471 View attachment 59472
The Red poppies in the moat are a commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the start of World War I. Each poppy represents a British soldier who died in action during the war. By November 11th, there will be over 800,000 of them.
View attachment 59473 View attachment 59474 View attachment 59475 View attachment 59476
The smaller windows at the top left of this view of the Tower are the only original window openings left. The others were all greatly enlarged after the Tower was no longer needed as an active defence work.
View attachment 59477 View attachment 59478
Your photos should look familiar to me, because we were around there last year, yet they mostly seem strange to me. There's always a difference between being there and just seeing an image.
Did you also see these cannons?
image.jpg

They should be near the Tower somewhere, if memory serves right.

Last edited:
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your photos should look familiar to me, because we were around there last year, yet they mostly seem strange to me. There's always a difference between being there and just seeing an image.
Did you also see these cannons?
View attachment 59480
They should be near the Tower somewhere, if memory serves right.
If you mean the large cannons and mortars on the embankment between the tower and the river, then yes, I did see them.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few minutes ago I got back from a visit to King's Cross and St. Pancras stations. For Harry Potter fans, the interior of King's Cross was where platform 9 3/4 was. St. Pancras was used to represent the exterior of King's Cross.

Here's a view of the front of King's Cross station.
image.jpg

These next photos are of the exterior of St. Pancras station.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

St. Pancras is also the station where the Eurostar to Paris departs.

Last edited:
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Neat, scifan! I was going to ask you if you had plans to see the Tower and that fabulous poppy display.

Did you know you can buy one of those poppies after the exhibition is over? They cost about $90 (USD), after shipping costs are added in.

Bit rich, but oh my, I'm still debating on it...

Marilyn
Yes Marilyn, I knew about the Poppies. The price I was told was 25 pounds each, plus shipping.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Scifan-thank you for taking us on your trip to London! All great pictures to see.

Keep sending more-just love the scene shots and the history. :)

Skimonkey ~

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Scifan.. - thanks for the memories - love your photos! :)

Our last trip to London (included Scotland first) was w/ our teenage son (over 20+ years ago) - he found Scotland boring (while we loved it!), but when we got to London, he had 3 main goals (among minor ones): 1) Tower of London; 2) Madame Tussaurds; and the 3) London Dungeon - it was a 'man's day' - his mother stayed at the hotel and did some other activities. Dave

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very enjoyable photos, thanks sci! And interesting departure from the usual touristy shots. Looks like you are enjoying fine weather there.
Andrew

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Scifan.. - thanks for the memories - love your photos! :)

Our last trip to London (included Scotland first) was w/ our teenage son (over 20+ years ago) - he found Scotland boring (while we loved it!), but when we got to London, he had 3 main goals (among minor ones): 1) Tower of London; 2) Madame Tussaurds; and the 3) London Dungeon - it was a 'man's day' - his mother stayed at the hotel and did some other activities. Dave
I'm with you Dave, I found Scotland interesting; the places and people...oh, and the pubs.
Agree with your goals above, they were interesting. I had another one; the British war museum, walking back along along Westminster bridge from the houses of parliament, a nice walk to that. Did you get a chance to see it? A nice way to spend the day, while Mrs enjoyed seeing Buckingham Palace, changing of the guard and thousands of tourists:p
Andrew

Most reactions

Latest posts