What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My London trip

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very enjoyable photos, thanks sci! And interesting departure from the usual touristy shots. Looks like you are enjoying fine weather there.
Andrew
The weather was great, except when it rained yesterday and today.

Registration for the World Science Fiction starts tomorrow and the convention starts on Thursday. When i have time, I'll post the convention photos in another thread.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm....I am having trouble with loading the second page Sci. I don't know if the pics are overloading this thread, but I can't get the last posts to read. :(

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Scifan-thank you for taking us on your trip to London! All great pictures to see.

Keep sending more-just love the scene shots and the history. :)

Skimonkey ~
For some reason posts with pictures are taking a very long time to load. A post with lots of pictures can easily take me up to an hour or two to download the photos.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wonderful pics Sci!

They did take such a long time to load.....but very much worth the wait!

Have a wonderful trip Sci!!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm with you Dave, I found Scotland interesting; the places and people...oh, and the pubs.
Agree with your goals above, they were interesting. I had another one; the British war museum, walking back along along Westminster bridge from the houses of parliament, a nice walk to that. Did you get a chance to see it? A nice way to spend the day, while Mrs enjoyed seeing Buckingham Palace, changing of the guard and thousands of tourists:p

Hi Andrew - not sure that I ever visited the British War Museum (would have been a MAJOR interest to me) - BUT, we did a lot concentrating on the museums and the famous buildings/churches - also did a wonderful day trip out to Stonehenge, Bath, and the Salisbury Cathedral - now we've seen a LOT of Gothic cathedrals (in fact, I have a Teaching Company series on these fabulous buildings which explains their construction), BUT Salsibury is one of the most 'homogeneous' ones having been built quickly, i.e. decades rather than centuries (quote below from Wiki). A trip to Greenwich is also a recommendation! Dave :)

Salisbury Cathedral, formally known as the Cathedral Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is an Anglican cathedral inSalisbury, England, and one of the leading examples of Early English architecture.[1] The main body of the cathedral was completed in only 38 years, from 1220 to 1258.
Salisbury_Cathedral.jpg
trinity-chapel-salisbury-cathedral-chris-lord.jpg

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm visiting the British Museum this afternoon. Here are a few photos.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The first five photos are of the East Pediment sculptures from the Parthenon and two of the Metopes.
image.jpg

The last photo is one of the most important pieces in the Egyptian collection, the Rosetta Stone.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you just walk through it, take a guided tour, or book one of the Multimedia Guides? How long did you stay there?

Last edited:
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you just walk through it, take a guided tour, or book one of the Multimedia Guides? How long did you stay there?
I had a guide book and just walked through the sections I photographed. I was there for about 4 hours.

Last edited:
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are three photos I took in Trafalgar Square. They show the National Gallery, one of the fountains, and Nelson's Column.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

This photo shows the church of St. Martin in the Fields.
image.jpg

These last two photos show the view down Whitehall from Trafalgar Square, with Big Ben in the background and a close up of the clock tower.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great pics of the London sights sci. It's good to see that they have retained their iconic red buses (there was talk of changing them a while back) although those modern red ones seem somehow not the same as what we have been used to seeing...progress, I guess... :)
Andrew

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great pics of the London sights sci. It's good to see that they have retained their iconic red buses (there was talk of changing them a while back) although those modern red ones seem somehow not the same as what we have been used to seeing...progress, I guess... :)
Andrew
There are a few of the old Routemaster busses on a few routes. Currently I'm in the queue for the Queen's Gallery at Buckingham Palace. I toured the palace and the Royal Mews earlier today and will post the photos later.

Most reactions

Latest posts