What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is your iPad jailbroken?

Is your iPad jailbroken?

• Yes

Votes: 62 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 166 64.1%
  • I plan to jailbreak when it is available for my firmware.

Votes: 28 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

mrkodak_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heck yea who wouldn't want to jailbreak it it's the best thing ever...it opens everything

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mrkodak_ said:
Heck yea who wouldn't want to jailbreak it it's the best thing ever...it opens everything

I am afraid of breaking my iDevices lol!!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

Tman904

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
I am afraid of breaking my iDevices lol!!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

Nothing to be afraid of NYC!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tman904 said:
Nothing to be afraid of NYC!

Ha ha!!! Maybe one day!!!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's really not bad its way more customizable and get a lot of free apps...

I know you don't mean get "a lot of free apps" because you choose to steal them by using the ability to jail break an iPad to commit piracy, right?

Because piracy is illegal and not condoned here.

Jail breaking is not a way to "get a lot of free apps.". It has nothing to do with that. You still have to pay for your apps, just as those do that aren't jail broken.

Marilyn

SouthDallas40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are the benefits for doing this? The risks?
Just on the face of it, I'm thinking not.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What are the benefits for doing this? The risks?
Just on the face of it, I'm thinking not.

Please head over to our hacking section and read all of the stickies in there - iPad Hacking

Start here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreaking-explained.html
and here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24377-jailbreaking-methods-ipad.html
and here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html

then you may like to look at the sub-forums Jailbreak Applications & Tweaks, then iPad Themes, and finally Jailbreaking & Hacking Tutorials & How-To Guides

As regards the risks, there is nothing you can do to your iPad whilst jailbroken that places you device at any risk. The jailbreak can always be removed by restoring your device in iTunes. A restore will remove all traces that your device was ever jailbroken.

Hope that helps.

bong512

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, i don't see how it could benefit me and besides all the apps i needed are fairly priced

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, i don't see how it could benefit me and besides all the apps i needed are fairly priced

I just want to make sure that folk here know that jail breaking has nothing to do with whether apps are "fairly priced." Jail breaking only means that you legally gain access to the full system of the iPad. It has nothing to do with apps and their pricing. In order to buy apps, there is no difference in a jailbroken device versus a stock one.

Just so's we're all understanding exactly what jail breaking is, have a look at the thread f4780y posted above that explains what jail breaking is.

Marilyn

bong512

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
I just want to make sure that folk here know that jail breaking has nothing to do with whether apps are "fairly priced." Jail breaking only means that you legally gain access to the full system of the iPad. It has nothing to do with apps and their pricing. In order to buy apps, there is no difference in a jailbroken device versus a stock one.

Just so's we're all understanding exactly what jail breaking is, have a look at the thread f4780y posted above that explains what jail breaking is.

Marilyn

I understand you, but here in our country it's a different thing, once you have your ipad jailbroken, all the apps are free, but once you snyc it to your pc all the apps will be gone, etc. so it's a real hassle to have it that way, that's why when i said "fairly priced" i'd rather pay for the apps rather than go through all the inconveniences

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand you, but here in our country it's a different thing, once you have your ipad jailbroken, all the apps are free, but once you snyc it to your pc all the apps will be gone, etc. so it's a real hassle to have it that way, that's why when i said "fairly priced" i'd rather pay for the apps rather than go through all the inconveniences

Ummm, no.

It does not matter what country you are in. Jail breaking an iPad does not magically make apps free. What it does is enable pirates (read: thieves) to install tweaks to their iPads so they can go get apps - that normally would be paid for - for "free." As in, they use the jail break as a way to steal.

That's why the apps "disappear" when the iPad is synced to iTunes. That software recognizes stolen apps and removes them. It's a security feature of Apple's...

Again, no matter what country you are in, theft is illegal. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that it's okay to do this. It is not okay anywhere to be a pirate and a thief.

Bottom line: Jail breaking is legal. Using the jail break to get paid apps for free (piracy) is illegal; it's theft.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts